Interesting Read

The article's author either does not know anything about trailers/5th wheels or he is being intentionally deceiving with this statement: "Earlier this year, they discovered that although their RV label says the vehicle is rated to hold 18,000 pounds, the three axles on the rig were rated for 5,200 pounds each. So, in reality, their 18,000-pound RV could only safely hold 15,600 pounds."

A pin weight of 20-25% would result in 3600-4500# on the pin and 13,500-14,400# on the axles. Maybe not as much cushion as some may want but within the axles ratings. But then he and the owner/original poster of the "facts" put it on the internet so it must be true.

The article's author either does not know anything about trailers/5th wheels or he is being intentionally deceiving with this statement: "Earlier this year, they discovered that although their RV label says the vehicle is rated to hold 18,000 pounds, the three axles on the rig were rated for 5,200 pounds each. So, in reality, their 18,000-pound RV could only safely hold 15,600 pounds."

A pin weight of 20-25% would result in 3600-4500# on the pin and 13,500-14,400# on the axles. Maybe not as much cushion as some may want but within the axles ratings. But then he and the owner/original poster of the "facts" put it on the internet so it must be true.

This same issue of incorrect understanding of axle ratings vs. GVWR came up in an earlier article discussed here: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=122531&hl=

Distressing to see that they are once again presenting the same inaccurate example. This inaccuracy undermines the rest of the article for me.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Saw some of the same thing over on Facebook. Coupled with another article I read, I'm beginning to believe the rumor the author does not and has not owned an RV. His information is anecdotal and quite often gleaned by surfing blogs, then cherry picked to meet the theme of the article being written. While I dislike being negative, I have severe heartburn with one sided articles that fail to present the whole story. Worse yet is such bias is coupled with a lack of understanding and the presentation of inaccurate or even purposefully misleading "facts" to bolster the piece.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Greg Gerber, the author, travels around the country in a Class A. I agree he has an obvious lack of understanding of trailers and axle ratings though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

So many folks on this site with a "treasure chest of knowledge" that they share. Thanks!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Might be a bit early to judge Grand Design at the end of the article, but the author nailed the rest.

http://rvdailyreport.com/opinion/rv-death-spiral-manufacturers-in-race-to-the-bottom/

It's a mildly interesting article. The fact that the author doesn't seem to know anything about RVs isn't important, because the article actually is about the current business climate, not RVs specifically. If you replace every occurrence of 'RV' in the article with 'pickup', 'refrigerator', 'house', 'shower head', 'TV', etc., it would be equally true. The present economic and political climate is not conducive to hard-working honest business folks, it rewards the quick buck, fly-by-night, sharks. There will have to be some pretty severe cultural changes to address the problem.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Archived