Never Been Happier with the HDT

bmzero

As we traveled from El Paso to San Diego yesterday, we went through the hills on the 8. Travelling from sea level to almost 5000 feet in only about 5 or 6 miles was a true test of any truck pulling a heavy (~24k) 5er, to say the least. I drive the truck very easily, but nonetheless, we passed several motorhomes and truck/trailers that were struggling in the 108 degree heat.

The power and cooling capacity of this truck, combined with the great engine brake, really took the stress out of an otherwise tense section of interstate.

I have travelled that section of highway a few times before with F450's and I can say that there is no comparison. The HDT is perfect for handling tough situations such as that.

We rolled into Escondido RV Resort without issue. Win one for the HDT!

1f05dcb1-389c-4a5a-89bb-67b402538cd4-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

And the new car made the trip too. Just needs some spike lug nut covers.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

And the new car made the trip too. Just needs some spike lug nut covers.

The iQ has been awesome. We absolutely love it.

I like your idea on the spike lug covers.

I know what you mean, I told the wife I would not head west in our 350 so after a couple of summers getting used to the HDT and family matters out of the way we are now in New Mexico and heading up to Colorado Springs tomorrow and have to say WHAT hills!!! Great going up or down, i never really worried about my skills as a driver but knowing we have a good truck to handle out here makes the drive so much better.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I have not had my Volvo 610 for a few years now, but still love to hear this..and it brings back wonderful memories of travel free driving.

Good for you.

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

• 2 weeks later...

We made it back home from our month long road trip last night. Wow, what a journey. Almost 5500 miles, from the beaches of Florida, to the beaches of San Diego, and to the desert of Moab and quite a few stops in between.

The Volvo completely made this enjoyable, comfortable, and stress free for the entire family.

We will probably post some route notes and more photos in another section of the forum. I'll link to that trip writeup if and when that happens.

Sounds like an awesome trip!!!! Does this mean you are keeping the HDT??? Jeremy

The trip was absolutely amazing. It was literally life changing for the whole family. It could not have gone any better.

Nope, it's for sale. Other life situations make selling it a better option than letting it sit around the house and not get used.

Brit,

I hope you still stay in touch with everyone here. Are you going to stay in the Birmingham area or leaving for another slice of god's country here in the South East

I do plan on staying in touch. Thanks.

At this point, I'll stay in Birmingham. There are no current plans to relocate.

As long as you are staying in B'ham, it wouldn't be but a 2 hour drive for a visit. We have several in that area we need to drive down and see.

Let me know if you come down. As far as I know, we'll be in town most of the next few weeks.

Archived