How to tell if your Facebook has been hacked (and what to do)

RV_

This week all the bad news seems to be Android.

Excerpt:

"Here's a simple way to see if there is someone messing with your Facebook account.

There are several different ways hackers use a breached Facebook account. Automatic logins through Facebook allow hackers access to many different site accounts once they've taken over your Facebook account. Spammers hack Facebook accounts to gain access to your following. Your account also gives a hacker a lot of personal information about you that can be used to steal your identity.

If you worry that your account has been hacked, there is a simple way to check. Go to the arrow in the upper left-hand corner of your Facebook page and click on it. In the menu, select Settings. A new menu will pop up. Choose Security and then Where You're Logged In.

A list of all of the devices that you've logged into and their locations. If there is a login you don't recognize, chances are you may have been hacked. If you see anything that isn't you, click End Activity on the right side of the log to end the session. The hacker will be logged out, temporarily."

The article has screen shots and instructions here: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-tell-if-your-facebook-has-been-hacked/?ftag=CAD3c77551&bhid=20640562413884385817807471581031

Does this depend on Win 7,8,10 and what browser? I don't have any arrows in the upper left of my timeline page or my news feed. Just wondering. I don't really worry about this because there isn't any information on my facebook account that is not easily found from other sources.

Pat, once you've logged into your Facebook page on your computer, look in the upper right-hand corner for the icon of a padlock with three parallel lines and a down arrow to the right of it. I find it using both Chrome and IE on my Windows 10 computer. I don't remember whether or not it was there on previous OS's, but what you want to do is get to Settings, however you normally do it on your computer.

You can also access Settings on your phone or other device.

In the Security section of Settings, you can also set up Login Alerts so that you receive an email alert if your account is accessed by an unfamiliar device or browser.

I don't have any personal information on my Facebook page and even have my Friends' list viewable only by me. I suppose if someone hacked by account, they'd be able to view my Friends' list, but they wouldn't glean any personal information about me since it doesn't exist. I don't even post about trips we take unless it's after the fact, never in real time.

Folks, the risk here is not about what is on your facebook page. It is about what may be on other facilities that have a facebook enabled login. Once they are into your Facebook account they can go onto any site that has a facebook login option and get into it if you have an account there.

For instance, a login page like www.AARP.ORG shows a number of ways to login: G+, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, etc. Clicking the appropriate icon on that login page will use your login credentials for that service (if your id is logged in already on this machine) to log you into AARP.org.

It is important to not use the same login and password for multiple accounts. Same rule applies here. Change your FB login password reasonably often and make it a strong one every time. This improves protection on not only your FB account but all other sites you access through it.

This also applies to your logins for any of these other commonly used services that support such linked login support.

Another important FB security feature is to setup alerts to let you know when your id has been used to login from another device and location. These are important tools to be used to protect you, your stuff and your family. They are like the parking brake that a lot of people never use. They give you another layer of risk protection if you choose to use them. If you don't, they won't but it is on you, not them. Make wise choices.

Another important FB security feature is to setup alerts to let you know when your id has been used to login from another device and location.

You really do need to set these alerts!! They are NOT set by default. It is one way to find out right away if you are hacked. Use the facilities provided!!!

Linda,

Mine's locked down too as I use FaceCrook only when needed to read an article on FB. I allowed foiur friends before I realized that opened a torrent of intrusion so I locked it back down, and privately emailed my few actual friends asking that they understand that I was not going to let the snowball start to roll, and nothing personal. I managed a throwaway persona there anyway. The same one Google has. They can track that identity all they want.

Good idea on the alerts and why. Guess I will have to go and figure out how to do that.

Linda,

I thought the same about the settings location. Not being FB savvy I still knew where to get to settings so it was not an issue. I thought the author had a different browser or wrote it years ago and was recycling it, or like my SH, mixes up left and right consistently.

That clarifies it, I was looking on the upper left for something as the OP's instructions state. I already have everything set using options on the settings area. Don't use fb as a log in to anything else, so no information they can steal unless they want my game scores or something.

Folks, the risk here is not about what is on your facebook page. It is about what may be on other facilities that have a facebook enabled login. Once they are into your Facebook account they can go onto any site that has a facebook login option and get into it if you have an account there.

Which is why I don't use my Facebook login information to log into any other site...that applies to using my Google or Yahoo login information to log into other sites, too. If the site doesn't have a way to log in without using information from another site, I don't use it.

Archived