Aluminum roof sealing?

Hey All,

1975 Titan that I am gutting and rebuilding just because I can. lol I have a solid sheet aluminum roof that I need to seal the edges and around vents and whatnot. I have been told 3 different things by RV dealers around me, and I need advice. One says EPDM, one says elastomeric roof coating only on the seams, and the last is trying to sell me a non hardening caulk type compound. HELP!! lol I have to have a leak free roof before I can go any further. Roof has no corrosion and is still shiny.

I don't use caulk on the roof anymore , except to fill a void left from cleaning the OEM stuff out . After that , I apply 'roof repair' tape ( like eterna bond ) .

I did most of the vents and the shower sky light about 5 years ago , and maybe a year later , the rest . I haven't regretted it for a second .

I buy the tape at Menards . It's available 4" or 6" widths .

1511850.jpg

Goes around , comes around .

Second Vote for Eterna-Bond.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

I have owned many RVs with aluminum roof materials over the years and our present one also has it. It was my practice for years to clean all seams and edges of ours completely about every third year and then coat the seam with one of the elastometric coatings. What I used and found to work best was the product Kool Seal. In all of those years, only one time did I ever experience a leak and that time the problem was my failure to rework the seams for too long.

A product that I am considering is Eterna-Bond tape, since it was not around most of the years in past experience.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One thing about Etherabond tape is make sure that it is where you want it before you let it touch. Once it is down there is no pulling it off. Good stuff.

I'll second that 'warning' . The same with the tape I use . Be sure of where you want it .

One thing about Etherabond tape is make sure that it is where you want it before you let it touch. Once it is down there is no pulling it off. Good stuff.

What happens when you need to remove it for some reason like repairs or modifications? I have replaced more than one vent assembly with a powered vent and removing caulking for that job is fairly easy.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What happens when you need to remove it for some reason like repairs or modifications? I have replaced more than one vent assembly with a powered vent and removing caulking for that job is fairly easy.

The tape would likely have to be cut . Heat might help removal .

I'd still use the tape even with the possible harder removal . Ease of installation and the longevity of the application wins .

When I was doing RV reroofs, we often came across Eternabond. I recommend it ONLY as a temp repair. But it can be used for long term, the outer shell doesnt like anything applied over it and with sun it will deteriorate. The best method of removing Eternabond for roof work is to use a multitool and remove it as much as possible. The inner layers of the Eternabond will work with EPDM coatings, esp if they are still tacky or sticky.

Marcel

For the OP, try Liquid Roof. Good stuff and will last quite a while. Clean REAL good and then apply a couple of generous layers esp on any joints or seams. Then you will have a monolithic roof with some good UV protection and enough elasticity to handle the rolling earthquake that is our RVs.

Marcel

When I was doing RV reroofs, we often came across Eternabond. I recommend it ONLY as a temp repair. But it can be used for long term, the outer shell doesnt like anything applied over it and with sun it will deteriorate. The best method of removing Eternabond for roof work is to use a multitool and remove it as much as possible. The inner layers of the Eternabond will work with EPDM coatings, esp if they are still tacky or sticky.

Temp repair ? What is your definition of temp ?

It's been more than 5 years of full time exposure to the sun and I haven't seen any deterioration of the tape I use .

Archived