Extended stay setup

maggie blair

Can anyone give me information about the extended-stay propane set up? I am Boondocking with a group of people and my concern is that I'm going to run out of propane. One of the gentleman in the group suggested the extended-stay propane set up so I am researching that and hoping for some great information from all of you wonderful people. Thanks so much

Maggie Blair

We have it ( made in USA) easy to set up and use. Just follow the directions

If you are in a MH you may need to remove the cover over the regulator but its a asy to put back on if you chose to remove the extend a stay for travel

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

You need one of several kits that are available. I prefer the Marshall Brass equipment below.

41k2KqggcuL._AC_US160_.jpg

Camping World sells several of the same kits as Amazon and most RV stores will have at least one such kit. Be sure to get the proper one as you need the high pressure one that connects an external bottle to the upstream side of your propane pressure regulator. There are also kits that connect a low pressure hose to the downstream side of the regulator in order to supply low pressure propane to additional appliances or a barbecue.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I asked a propane dealer about this & he would rent the hose &100 gal tank for $25/3 months & he'd set up a delivery schedule to maintain propane in the tank. At the end he would buy back the propane left in the tank. This was in Merriam, Kansas back in 2009. Check around might find something similar.

Ron

I asked a propane dealer about this & he would rent the hose &100 gal tank for $25/3 months & he'd set up a delivery schedule to maintain propane in the tank. At the end he would buy back the propane left in the tank. This was in Merriam, Kansas back in 2009.

In order to do this you will need to disconnect the line from your present tank and connect the rental tank to your RV. What she wants is a means of bringing a portable propane bottle to the system without any modifications to the existing lines or any service calls from a propane supplier. If you are boondocking, as Maggie wishes to do, it might be a bit difficult to get the propane tank delivered, connected, and all while parked out on the desert, or in a national forest locations. She needs a means of using portable bottles that she can take into town to have them refilled.

Also, if you are not comfortable and experienced working with Propane plumbing, worth it to have some one set this up for you who is. Also suggest you add at the same time the extension going out from the big tank, to splice into a BBA, or Propane Fire and or Heater. The kits are not expensive for both, and while doing the work, might as well set things up for both...

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

If you are lucky you may come across a Propane Distributor who has experience with hooking up an RV for an extended stay tank. I had a 150 gallon tank delivered and set up using almost the same equipment that had been removed from the same site just a few months earlier. It was in a mobile home park that occasionally had RV's for longer term stays. Worked out pretty well for me. Propane Distributor is also a good source for specific parts, hoses and connectors required. If they don't have it they will know where to obtain.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

What are you running on propane? And how big is your propane tank. Our biggest worry when booddocking is gray water even in cold weather the gray is the first to go. If in reasonable weather the propane even with a bit of furnace will run much longer than the water supply. Now if you are running a propane Gen that is a different story, then propane will go first so the extended stay will be needed. This time of year you would either be high 5000' plus or north to need much heat. Now all that said an extended stay and a couple 5 gallon tans are nice, but storage when not needed and traveling around becomes a problem. Couldn't find what your RV is so can't comment on it directly.

LEN

Not a difficult install. Just know that one of the connections is a left handed thread. Not righty tighty, lefty loosey, just the opposite. Also, if you plan on travelling with it installed you should come up with a way to support the exit side of the regulator. The extend-a-stay also extends the distance the regulator is from the tank valve and vibration while traveling can be a problem. Before installing a support, I had one of my connections loosen while traveling and started leaking propane. The support doesn't have to complicated, just something to keep the pipe from flexing up and down.

Personally, unless you're going to have a long term stay with LP tank services, I would have a hard time justifying the cost and installation of a system like this when it's easier (without the expense) to simply disconnect one 20lb/30lb LP tank and slap in a full one.

Maybe it's just me. :P

That being said.. if I was stationary and renting a 100lb portable tank, I could see where the expense would be justified.

Personally, unless you're going to have a long term stay with LP tank services, I would have a hard time justifying the cost and installation of a system like this when it's easier (without the expense) to simply disconnect one 20lb/30lb LP tank and slap in a full one.

Have you done that lately on a class A motorhome? Not what I'd call easy and that is what Maggie has as do the vast majority of those who put in one of the extended stay kits for propane. A class A has a permanently installed, DOT tank and not the typical, removable SAE bottles found in your fifth wheel. :D

Maybe it's just me. :P

That being said.. if I was stationary and renting a 100lb portable tank, I could see where the expense would be justified.

What Kirk said and the 'system' I installed in less time than it takes to drink a cup of coffee , cost me a trip to the hardware store and about twenty bucks .

I've not counted the amount of times since the install that all I had to do was flip a lever to continue cooking ( it always happens when in the middle of steaks ) or stay warm . A single time would have made the transition worthwhile . I always have only one tank open . That way there is no question as to when a tank needs filling .

Goes around , comes around .

Have you done that lately on a class A motorhome?

Well now.. THAT makes perfect sense now. :P For some reason I was thinking of Barbara's single tank rig instead of Maggie's class A. My bad. By all means then.. as others have mentioned... it's a very simple install and well worth the cost to not have to move your rig for re-fills.

Archived