How do I remove this fuse?

I've got a large (30 amp) fuse in line between coach battery bank and the solar voltage controller. I want to remove the fuse, but it doesn't seem to want to pull straight up (out). Does this fuse holder open up (unlatch) to release the fuse? I've never seen a fuse holder like this - anybody out there know how to remove this fuse?

Here's the link to the picture.

Thank you,

Herb & Kathy Baldwin

2003 Airstream Land Yacht XC365

2006 Saturn Vue Toad

WB8BHK

Looks like a blue sea maxi block. The terminal screws actually compress the fuse blades to allow for lower resistance. The outer cover (covering the wires) snaps on and off. You have to remove the cover and then back off the terminal screws to release the fuse.

YOU HAVE TO LIKE THEM

NOoo doubt! Personally, I still prefer their 187 series thermal breakers for many applications. The trip free no "on" with a fault condition and the "quick disconnect" ability is a big selling point for me.

At 1/3 the cost though, IMO, it's still well worth the price tag and a worthwhile option/upgrade. Beats the heck outta those dual post "where the heck is that little reset button.. is it in??" jobs you see a lot of. ;)

Sometimes, the non-resetable device is preferred in design for safety reasons to prevent an operator from doing it, or at least make it harder to do. In my career I have seem more than one operator make his problems worse by "fixing things" for himself. We were particularly aware of this with equipment that was usually leased or covered by a service contract.

We have come a long way since screw in fuses, buss fuses and the small glass ones. It really depends upon the environment and the cost/benefit factor.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back in my engineering days there were applications where I specified a FUSE but others where I specified a CIRCUIT BREAKER and there were sound engineering reasons why even if I cant recall them all now lol. As far as reliability, its hard to beat a piece of metal in a sealed environment WITH NO MOVING PARTS that melts open and can no longer conduct current as an overcurrent protection device (IE a Fuse), but a circuit breaker (mechanical device with arms and springs AND MOVING PARTS) can be reset which mom n pop yuppie homeowner are much more qualified to perform. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Best I recall fuses were my preferred overcurrent protection in motor control but circuit breakers most elsewhere. In many (maybe not all) RV DC circuit applications a replaceable fuse with NO MOVING PARTS is reliable, cheap, fairly easy to replace, and may be safer then an auto reset type breaker which can keep resetting and trying to pass current yielding heat build up. If a breaker continues to reset then trip back out YOU BEST BE FINDING THE CAUSE. Billy Bob and Bubba (who wired their garage while downing a case of beer) may keep using a higher and higher amp rated breaker until it holds lol

John T

Archived