Commisaries under budget pressure again...

Kirk W

Sadly I think we beat this topic to death not long ago.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

From my experience, the "discount" at commissaries hasn't been that great for a very long time - certainly no where near the the 27% increase cited in the article necessary to make them "budget neutral." It's hard to compete with the likes of Walmart. I think the greatest value of commissaries is to offer service members food and products they are used to while stationed outside CONUS.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

The DoD has been attempting to make Commissaries self-supporting for years, yet provide young military members with foodstuffs they can afford. It get harder to accomplish that every year, as more and more civilian discount grocery stores are opened. For instance, Kroger owns JC food stores, which own Ruler food stores; Kroger brand foodstuffs are on the shelves of all 3 named stores, each with a different price structure.

That IMO, is just one reason WalMart is losing customers and closing small stores.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived