diesel exhaust fluid

dan412

Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is an aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water. I don't think there are any differences in the product at this point. Oh by the way this stuff will freeze at 12F / -11C that is why the supply lines are heated, and a pump recirculates the fluid back to the heated tank. This the noise you hear after the vehicle is shut down for about a minute or so. I was testing Volvo D13 tier four final engines this winter, we had problems with that supply line and a bad DEF level sensor. This triggers you guessed it "codes" and engine goes into creep mode quickly. Sadly the days of duct tape are over if you by new.

I'm curious, will the Volvo computers/sensor know if the Urea % is less than expected or 0% or that it's just pumping a fluid. Also,The freezing point is a concern for me. My Wife's Son drives the Haul Road and he tells me they disconnect the DEF System, it's believable because the temp is usually less than -30°. However, I can't confirm if he knows what he's talking about.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I'm curious, will the Volvo computers/sensor know if the Urea % is less than expected or 0% or that it's just pumping a fluid. Also,The freezing point is a concern for me. My Wife's Son drives the Haul Road and he tells me they disconnect the DEF System, it's believable because the temp is usually less than -30°. However, I can't confirm if he knows what he's talking about.

It knows. Can't just use any old fluid to get to the store for a refill. Can't even whizz in the tank for a top-up. If his company is disconnecting the DEF, it involves some laptop work, and some type of emulator to work. It's not some roadside repair.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It knows. Can't just use any old fluid to get to the store for a refill. Can't even whizz in the tank for a top-up. If his company is disconnecting the DEF, it involves some laptop work, and some type of emulator to work. It's not some roadside repair.

Thanks...new technologies - bah!

Know worries I'm not messing with nothing, just have a huge curiosity besides having no desire of freezing up if it's preventable.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I put money down on a 2011 780 Volvo D13 with 485hp 13 speed trans had Dyno done looks good. Having the 5 page Inspection done this week hope to have it buy the end of the month if everything checks out good. Has DEF what do i need to check with this system.

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

Although Gliders seem to be the answer this will come to an end very soon. The EPA has made noises about not allowing Gliders. Truck would be illegal in California and very soon in Oregon. Other states may follow. BC ( Canada) does not allow Gliders unless you have the vin tag from the donor truck and can prove that the engine came from that vehicle. In this thread one poster referred to a 2007 as being pre emissions. Pre emission HD trucks are 2002 and older. The 2003 to 2007 usually have EGR systems that are problematic or computers that kill power and economy.

Although Gliders seem to be the answer this will come to an end very soon. The EPA has made noises about not allowing Gliders. Truck would be illegal in California and very soon in Oregon. Other states may follow. BC ( Canada) does not allow Gliders unless you have the vin tag from the donor truck and can prove that the engine came from that vehicle. In this thread one poster referred to a 2007 as being pre emissions. Pre emission HD trucks are 2002 and older. The 2003 to 2007 usually have EGR systems that are problematic or computers that kill power and economy.

also shortens life of engine

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

also shortens life of engine

Huh? What shortens the life of the engine?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Huh? What shortens the life of the engine?

Some people have claimed that all late model engines have issues due to re-burning exhaust gas via the EGR valve. While true to some extent (soot is abrasive) the only ones that really seem to have an issue with the new emission controls over the years have with Maxforce engines (International) and CAT engines. Cat pulled out of the OTR market for that reason as the Acert engines they developed didn't work exactly like they thought they would. Both of those design burned a LOT more exhaust gas than the designs using DPF, DEF and SCR systems similar to what Detroit, Cummins, Paccar and Volvo do

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

No different than the late '60s & early '70s, when gas engines got a whole host of rubber snakes under the hood. People by nature are resistant to change, so a bunch of anecdotal evidence will accumulate, along with a small percentage of truth.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Exactly how much does having an EGR valve shorten the life of the engine?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

From my research about 25%. I was also told mine would likely be badly worn due to egr. Believe this is true. It does the job but weaker than it should be and burning oil. 750kish miles on a Detroit. It seems egr engines are no longer 1m motors

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 2 weeks later...

From my research about 25%. I was also told mine would likely be badly worn due to egr. Believe this is true. It does the job but weaker than it should be and burning oil. 750kish miles on a Detroit. It seems egr engines are no longer 1m motors

Glenn,

This is what I am seeing/hearing, egregious, definitely, def, non are 1 million miler's. For me if I were spending $100k plus on a truck, it would be a glider (before the EPA stops them!) Reliable, easy to work on, with extensive off the shelf parts support and good fuel mileage a full timers dream! Moisheh, is right they will stop producing gliders. Best to get one if you can!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Sorry that should read egr , dPf, def.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Archived