2016 smart cabriolet.

JC and Angie

What I'm asking my license plate uses that mounting hole. Only thing I found for my Smart without cutting holes in front.

There were holes cut in the lower black grille piece. Here's a picture (the silver-colored arms are removable):

IMG_20160610_105045.jpg

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Is it wrong when all I could think of was this? Apparently, I speak welder.:

Edit: to correct YouTube link

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Glen,

My state doesn't require front license plate.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

That is why I was wondering. Smart seems to think it will be good. I don't have a dog in this but I can see me buying a new one later. I put a lot of miles on mine. I don't want a Smart with 100k+ on it.

I've been using single pull for 5 years. Winch is offset for straight pull. No issues so far.

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

JC,

So have you found a hitch for the new smarts? Last I researched it there were not any available. hopefully that has changed because otherwise there is no way to load other than driving it on....We have been holding off on a new one because of that.

My dealer contact Spoke to a guy a curt. The hitch is designed and is in Pre build mode. In a month or two or three there is going to be a hitch. For the next few weeks or months I'll drive it on. Not my favorite way to do it, but it works. The tranny hates it, BTW. You have to use the hand brake to avoid the clutch being engaged. Tried this with the loaned we had for a week.

And if anyone needs a new smart call Chris peters at mecedes of Plano 972-309-7806. Very good at his job. Ships cars all over the states for as little as 500 bucks. Already pre sold my 14 so I'm going to be renting cars for a few weeks.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I don't use hand brake. Mine has no problems at all. Only issue is placement. I have some room to spare though. Winching would be better. After I get my boxes on will likely add winch.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I mentioned in May that this was possible. I bought a 2017 on condition a hitch or pull point be fabricated. A member of Three Points staff is a machinist and has access to Plasma cutters etc. A hitch has already been made for someone else's 2016.

The left side of the underbody is adequate, I'm told the passengers side is more of an issue but can be modified and beefed up and a means to tie both together has been fabricated. Some existing bolts or bolt holes can be re-used.

I'd like something with a little bit more pleasing to the eye than a pce of 'I' beam across the back.

He as seen my '06 on several occasions for reference. Templates are made. We're just waiting for the new car to come in. It was to be here before the end of May but is still going thru the certification for the engine which is exactly the same as the 2016. But that's the gov't. So now I'm told it will be sometime in July.

I'm not waiting for Curt or anyone else, this could drag on for months. I loaded the 2017 on the 730 , took pics, figured out clearances, relocation points of tiedowns and chocks along with new bolt hole for the relocated ramps. Tire baskets can be modified for the bigger tires and a bridge fabricated so the drivers rear wheel can jump over the compartment lid in the deck.

I was hoping this would be done in time for the WCR to show it could be done,but the Gov't got in the way.

So it can be done and we're going ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Curt Mfg. still doesn't show anything available for a 2016 smart.

Just received an email from Curt Mfg stating they have a 2016 SMART hitch in production with no ETA of when it will be available.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Just received an email from Curt Mfg stating they have a 2016 SMART hitch in production with no ETA of when it will be available.

EXCELLENT. Once they get it out and there are some reviews I'll be "able" to buy a new smart....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived