Cody to Jackson Hole

Stickbender

According to my Mountain Pass App you will need to go over Sylvan Pass at 8500'. Eastbound drop is 1500' in 6 miles, last 1.5 miles 5-6%. 25-35 mph curves during the descent.

How do you like going down passes?

I've never driven it myself so hopefully someone who has will chime in.

Lots of curves but nothing that you can't handle. If you have ever driven in mountains before you should have no problems. Beautiful country enjoy.

Grew up 15 miles from the east entrance to Yellowstone spent a lot of time there. Quite a bit on horseback.

Yes, the best way is to drive through Yellowstone. We've done it with a 40' MH a few times and the pass isn't a big deal compared to others we've been on. I would advise that you leave early morning. You'll see more wildlife and the tourist crowds won't be as bad as the afternoon. Once you get into Teton Nat'l Park (you ARE staying there, aren't you?) it smooth sailing until the town of Jackson which is awful - lot of crowds.

In the Tetons we stayed at either Colter Bay campground (which is next to Colter Bay RV) or Gros Ventre campground which is closer to Jackson. We like Gros Ventre better because it's more open but does have trees and more animals seem to roam through. Both are non-reservable but rarely fill and both have a dump station, water fill. We've also gotten a site. Gros Ventre does has some electric hookups which are in demand but again, no reservations. Just ask if one is available when you come in. If you get there early you may be in luck.

Have a good trip. We love both parks and have visited often but Teton NP is our favorite for hiking.

Yes, drive through Yellowstone, no reason to go the long way around. Depending on the month & time of day, the tourists stopping for wildlife photos will slow you down more than climbing the grade. You'll have more issues pulling your rig through downtown Jackson, than through Yellowstone.

Archived