Coin Flip

Aggie79-82a

Bought our first ever RV on April 18Th, 2015 and moved totally into the RV the same day. Full-timing for about 14 months. Not too experienced yet, but I can write checks if a cash discount reduces the cost of service. It is time to buy my first set of tires. Running seven year old Goodyear G670's 295/80R22.5 now. Not issues but time to replace all six tires. Received quotes on the same Goodyear tire and the Michelin XZA2 Energy (dealer and FMCA). Goodyear is $580 cheaper not counting excise tax, sale tax, and balancing/mounting. It is difficult to chose which potential is worse riveting or cracking. I understand auto tires, but RV tires are a different animal. Is it really just a coin flip?

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

Check the load range rating on the tires to make sure they can handle your axle weight. Load range is something you do not worry about for cars, but do for motorhomes and sometimes trucks. It will be indicated by "LR" followed by a letter, higher letters mean higher range. With our motorhome we need LR H tires (18 ply), but a common and much cheaper truck tire is LR G (14 ply) and is not rated for our axle weight.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

My Goodyear G670's are dated 2008. They have no apparent rivering,cracking, or unusual wear patterns.

I plan to replace them this year, looking at Sailun truck tires for replacements.

Hankook tires have an excellent reputable for quality, durability and price point.

My wife just bought a new Lincoln MKZ AWD sedan. It has Hankook tires.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We ran Goodyear, G670 tires on our class A with excellent service and tires showed no degradation when we sold it at 8 years of service. Even so, we did always replace tires based upon age rather than wear. The G670 does have warranty support for 10 years, while previous versions of the Goodyear RV tire did not. As time goes on it may become justifiable to keep the G670 for as much as 10 years, but I'd not do so yet.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I replaced my G670's 275/70/22.5 last September when they were 10 years 3 months old.

With another set of G670's Paid $524.30 each out the door mounted, balanced with Equal, taxes etc.

My Lincoln MKS AWD came with Michelin 245/45R20.

But I will never put another Michelin on my MH after having 2 zipper blow outs before they were 6 years old.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Toyo tires all around . 6 years and starting to show a bit of wear . Excellent handling , if that can be a consideration when talking about an 11 ton motor home .

The unit had Goodyear tires on originally . The tread wear was BAD for 38K miles and the fronts were severely cupped . True , the cupping may have been from poor maintenance , but ???

Goes around , comes around .

Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone and Toyo are all great choices as RV specific tires. Truck tires are built differently than RV tires. RV tires are formulated to be stationary for long periods, have more UV stabilizers in them and have a different sidewall construction so they ride smoother. Truck tires are designed to roll and are generally stiffer. What ever you do don't buy any Chinese made tires. You are taking a big risk with them as you might get a good set and on the other hand could get bad ones. When I was doing seminars on tire and weight safety at rally's and special events, many people told us that after a year they had to replace their Chinese tires.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

We had good service out of our first set of tires, the Michelin XZE*, a very 'robust' tire. I'd doubt you would fine another all position tire in the same size, that weights more - lots of meat and heavy duty sidewalls. Along with this came a bit stiffer ride.

Just replaced these with Michelin XZA2 Energy, in the size you mentioned. (Previous set were the OEM recommended 12R 22.5, which have a much smaller population of tire models to choose from.)

The XZA2 gives a better ride, and provides lower rolling resistance, so could help on MPG.

Best to you on your choice,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I run Toyos on the rear of my Motorhome and am quite satisfied with them.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Toyo tires all around . 6 years and starting to show a bit of wear . Excellent handling , if that can be a consideration when talking about an 11 ton motor home .

The unit had Goodyear tires on originally . The tread wear was BAD for 38K miles and the fronts were severely cupped . True , the cupping may have been from poor maintenance , but ???

Toyo's were OEMs with ours and we have had replaced with the same. We always do it in Oregon and save the sales tax - not an insignificant chunk of change when doing 4 tires. We do steer tires together and 2 years later do the duallys.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived