Scion iQ?

bmzero

Looking @ your rough CAD, noticed that the pivot points are at the outside edge of the deck. What about putting them at the edge of the frame, with a portion of the outside deck swinging up or down?

That is a great idea! It would cut into my storage a little, though. Might be worth the tradeoff.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should put that trip in over on https://roadtrippers.com -- great way to find interesting stuff along the way. (And if you slide across the interests bar, there's a steering wheel icon. All kinds of race tracks, museums, and scenic drives.)

I put my official event planner on that. She'll love that app. Thanks.

That is a great idea! It would cut into my storage a little, though. Might be worth the tradeoff.

Don't build the boxws right to the frame. Have them attached to the deck, and follow it through it's travel. If you really want to get crazy, drop the frame rails like blizzardND did to Rumrunner. Careful, this stuff is addictive.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Brett, have you calculated the height of the rear of the IQ if it takes a 37 degree angle to get the length to 102 ? Just seems it might be too high for many underpasses ?? Just wondering..... Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Used to be a local mobile mechanic with a very nice Kenworth service truck and he would use the service crane to front pick his Suzuki Sammy and carry it vertical resting on the back bumper........it worked OK but the gearbox seals were never designed to be flooded with 90 wt oil for long periods of time so they tended to weep some but it was no big problem he carried 50 gals of gear lube in the service truck.

Eventually he just crane picked up the Sammy and set it level on top of the service box so it took about a minute to load or unload......

Zero........maybe you might just want to look at a folding knuckle boom crane mounted behind the cab of your truck and then you just load whatever you want without any ramps to mess with.........just pick and drive.....

Drive on.......(Cranes are.....handy)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Brett, have you calculated the height of the rear of the IQ if it takes a 37 degree angle to get the length to 102 ? Just seems it might be too high for many underpasses ?? Just wondering..... Be safe, Charlie

No, I haven't done anything specific yet. Still waiting to get my hands on the car. Height is definitely a concern, though.

Brett,

Two things you need to consider in passing thru West Texas are: Balmohrea State Park (Swimming Pool) and Cattlemans Steak House at Fabens (Great Steaks).

You are welcome to Boone-dock at Cattlemans.

ShortyO

Thanks. My wife is going to check into those.

"edited" - I tried to draw how what I said might work then tossed it into the dumb idea file :)

I have a very large dumb idea file. I like to start out designing where everything is possible and work back to reality from there. Nothing is off limits to start with, which leads to a large recycle bin.

Zero........maybe you might just want to look at a folding knuckle boom crane

That would definitely provide some flexibility. I am hoping it doesn't come to that, though.

We're headed to pick up the car now, assuming it passes the white glove test.

Brett,

Two things you need to consider in passing thru West Texas are: Balmohrea State Park (Swimming Pool) and Cattlemans Steak House at Fabens (Great Steaks).

You are welcome to Boone-dock at Cattlemans.

ShortyO

I'll add that if you stay at Balmohrea, a short side trip (or a full day) to the McDonald Observatory is worth your while.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We got the car home safely yesterday. It did great on the 3 hour trip.

c45348d6-d2cf-4388-977f-50064e830683-s.j
1f74758f-cbbd-4d68-a055-cbcb9d40dd08-s.j
The kids love it.
It sits very low, which is going to make it tougher to load. It's a good thing I enjoy a challenge.

I'll add that if you stay at Balmohrea, a short side trip (or a full day) to the McDonald Observatory is worth your while.

Thanks. My wife is going to look into that.

Zero,

Great looking mini-jollopy............

Just imagine a "H-configured-spreader-bar" with four neoprene coated "J-hooks" that would pass through the spoke opening of the wheels and then you just crane pick up the jollopy with the wife & kids still strapped in the rig and sit it right up on the V-machine deck.......the kids would likely love the ride and the wife would........well who knows....... she has been around you for a while so she has to have a sense of humor by now.....

I cast another vote for the folding-boom-knucle-crane.........try it.......you'll love it........

Drive on..........(Cranes have many......uses)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Knuckle-boom cranes are surprisingly heavy. Watch the axle weights.

Darryl,

No problem.......just throw a tag axle under the crane or re-tandem the V-machine or steal the front axle and tires from a 10 yard mixer truck........Zero seldom sleeps so he has unlimited energy to configure his rigs well "out of the box"...........

As a geezer I am hard pressed to just find the energy to type up new project ideas for Zero (he does very well in the idea category all by himself) .........

I hope I live long enough the watch Zero ditch his toy hauler and build his own.........that will likely subtract at least 33 years from my too many years and miles of life......

Drive on.........(Zero can be a great.......number)

Why steal cement mixer parts. A tandem steer, tri-drive C-500 would have all the capacity ever needed. Later today, I will post a work photo that will surely shiver the timbers of a good many of the Geezers on the board, for a multitude of reasons.

Edit for photo:

It's not a C-500, or a tri-drive, but that's me in the yellow cage. If memory serves, the KW has 120' of boom, with something like 8 ton at full extension. Sorry for the snow, work, and other four letter words.

IMG00057_zpsbvrljlm8.jpg

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Actually, just a work-a-day truck. The big pickers up here will be close to 200' of stick, in the 200 ton range, and sitting on a tandem/tri-drive chassis. Their tare is higher than my GCVW is. Scrap built a tri/tri for up here a few years back, but I haven't laid eyes on it.

Please e-mail us here.

Just a thought here. But why not just keep putting the car in the toy hauler and the desert toys on the bed?

You'll use the car more than your toys so seems easier.

I put my Bronco in the trailer with the rhino on the truck.

The rhino I redid the rear bumper and rollcage to be removable in order to get down the length.

Can you redo your generals back half? If not still seems a lot easier to build something light weight and simple for the off-road cars that are far more nimble??

Just a thought here. But why not just keep putting the car in the toy hauler and the desert toys on the bed?

You'll use the car more than your toys so seems easier.

I put my Bronco in the trailer with the rhino on the truck.

The rhino I redid the rear bumper and rollcage to be removable in order to get down the length.

Can you redo your generals back half? If not still seems a lot easier to build something light weight and simple for the off-road cars that are far more nimble??

I do plan on carrying the car in the toy hauler, at least initially, but where I get into trouble is when I need to take a RZR XP Turbo. They are definitely too long to ride on the bed and there's no way I would put one of my race cars out in the open on the back of the truck anyway. The XP will need to be in the toy hauler, which leaves me with no Scion if I don't build some contraption to transport it on the bed.

I can remove the bed of the General and it will be absolutely fine back there. Still slightly over length, but not by much.

Heck when you pull into a campground, the wife and kids should be able to unload the car while you check in at the entrance. Lot easier than unhooking the truck to find a spot for unload. And draws far less attention when trying to get setup. ( we all know how that is)

That's the plan for the upcoming trip.

It fit perfectly in the back of the toy hauler. I was sure it was going to drag going in. I loaded it at the worst possible angle just to be sure we wouldn't have any problems out in the wild.

Getting it on the truck is still going to be a challenge.

210727ea-46b6-49c2-8a50-3b44cadc6219-s.j

Archived