Scion iQ?

bmzero

Not to throw a damper on your party but have you really looked at the weights you will have in your Toyhauler? Sure it will fit and most likely the ramp is sturdy enough for you to drive it in a few times, but having a couple thousand pounds all the way to the back of your trailer may be interesting. There have been other posts about using the space in the garage for things that fit but cause other issues.

I have not looked at an IQ other than on the street. They are interesting, didn't realize they were only 10 foot long though. I had a 12 foot garage in my previous Weekend Warrior and my Mini Cooper would not fit and I think it's the shortest vehicle except for the Smart.

I am very happy with my Isuzu Vehicross but I have a 14 1/2 foot garage and plenty of carrying capacity.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zero

Just out of curiosity was that you running between Montgomery and Birmingham this afternoon? Went down below Troy to trailer a truck back for a cousin and I thought I saw you heading south on I-65 while we were northbound.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Not to throw a damper on your party but have you really looked at the weights you will have in your Toyhauler?

Rod, that's definitely a concern, but the garage capacity is 3000#. The iQ is just over 2100#. We don't carry anything else in the garage except a toolbox (mounted at the front of the garage) when the Smart is in the back (would be same for iQ).

Just out of curiosity was that you running between Montgomery and Birmingham this afternoon? Went down below Troy to trailer a truck back for a cousin and I thought I saw you heading south on I-65 while we were northbound.

Yes, that was us. We made it to Grayton Beach, FL yesterday around 6.

3e7b153b-f9a0-4a1c-bf1c-6a140011c0bb-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Here we go with the Orange General pics again!!! Knowing my wallet is burnt up. Thanks!! LOL Great looking setup!!

It fits well back there, as long as you don't pull a tape measure on it. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I found an iQ. I'm going to pick it up Sunday.

27102315393_65e700aa31_b.jpg

After more thought, I am going to spend some time designing a hydraulic platform to elevate the rear of the vehicle during transport so I can transport the iQ on the rear of the truck.

Here's the tricky part. I want the platform to tilt up during loading so I don't have a bad crossover angle from the angle of the ramps to angle of the platform. That doesn't sound too tricky until you think about the driving direction for the car during loading and unloading. The best case scenario is that I would drive forward to load and to unload. However, that means I need to have hydraulic rams to elevate both ends of the ramp. For simplicity's sake, I would prefer to only elevate one end of the platform. If I do that, I have two options:

1. Have a harsh crossover angle since I would only elevate the rear of the platform - this is worse in my situation since I have chosen to go with an iQ that already has a lowered suspension and body kit. Dang gearhead tendencies...
  2. Load in reverse - obviously this causes some problems as well.

I do still plan on driving for loading/unloading, not winching.

Right now, I'm leaning toward loading in reverse and elevating only the rear of the platform.

I may also incorporate a winch connected to the receiver tube of the hitch (to be installed) that will take the tension off of the transmission prior to strapping down. This same winch and connection point could be used to load the vehicle.

So.... . . . IMAGINE. . . . . A set of ramps on a. A-Frame "teeter-totter" that you drive foreword up the ramp to load and when it is time to unload just trip the "teeter-totter" down on the front and drive down foreword off the other side of the truck........

Now just to spice up life a little .......invite a few gear heads over for a game of ......."I Q teeter-totter-balance" and see who can drive up to the level balance point and stop at the level point..........

Drive on.........(don't fall off the .......teeter-totter")

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

So.... . . . IMAGINE. . . . . A set of ramps on a. A-Frame "teeter-totter" that you drive foreword up the ramp to load and when it is time to unload just trip the "teeter-totter" down on the front and drive down foreword off the other side of the truck........

Now just to spice up life a little .......invite a few gear heads over for a game of ......."I Q teeter-totter-balance" and see who can drive up to the level balance point and stop at the level point..........

Drive on.........(don't fall off the .......teeter-totter")

That's pretty close to my plan. The ramps will be attached to the platform, not the truck. So, with the ramps attached, as I elevate the rear of the platform, the end of the ramps will lower down to ground level.

I believe the hydraulic rams will be necessary to get the correct angle on the platform. I am going to model it up soon. If i can get by without rams, that would be best case scenario, but i think it's going to need more angle.

If you move your pivot point for the platform towards the middle part ways and have it raised to give you your loading angle, you might be able to get the right combination to allow only one set of hydraulic jacks lifting the platform. Do you know what your angles will need to be for loading and traveling?

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

If you move your pivot point for the platform towards the middle part ways and have it raised to give you your loading angle, you might be able to get the right combination to allow only one set of hydraulic jacks lifting the platform. Do you know what your angles will need to be for loading and traveling?

Dave

I don't know the exact angle yet, but I'm thinking about having a multi-angle setup. The preferred angle would put the horizontal width around 104" to 106", to match the Smart width. So far, that seems perfectly acceptable for a "fudge factor". In the event I do get hassled by a LEO, I will have the ability to raise to a steeper angle to get below 102". I suspect the difference in angles required to go from 106" to 102" will be substantial. That's going to depend on the actual bumper to bumper dimension of the iQ, though. I can set the specific angles after the platform is built to get everything just right.

I'm a fan of simple like a teeter totter but hydraulics & maybe a light winch would keep things under control when you have to load or unload on not level ground....

Agreed. The teeter totter could still play into the loading process. The iQ probably needs to be strapped when flat on the bed. So, I could teeter onto and off of the truck. Once loaded and strapped, I could elevate the rear of the iQ to the necessary angle. If I need to strap at angle, I'll need to incorporate a winch.

To enhance the stayputtedness of the car on the platform, I could build a simple receiver hitch bracket. The iQ is going to get a trailer hitch anyway (for cargo and bikes, just like I did on the Smart). Prior to loading, I would slide into the hitch a 2" square tube with shackle on the end of the tube. On the rack would be a sort of funnel that would guide the end of the shackle into position. Once into position, a pin would be inserted, holding the iQ firm to the rack. Then, install the wheel nets.

The shackle is necessary so the iQ can move up and down (with the suspension) while traveling.

I've tinkered with a similar idea for loading a car into a trailer--using a baseplate for flat towing on a rail to guide the car into place, then use a square tube receiver on the back of the car to anchor that end.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

This is crude sketch using our truck bed.

URL=http://s485.photobucket.com/user/strdrmr78/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Lift%20platform%206-17-16%20Model_zpsz2fvy9l5.jpg.html]Lift%20platform%206-17-16%20Model_zpsz2f[/url]

Platform is at 45 degrees and vertical supports could become your ramps. For different heights you could use like trailer landing jacks tube within a tube and pins for adjustment.

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

I've tinkered with a similar idea for loading a car into a trailer--using a baseplate for flat towing on a rail to guide the car into place, then use a square tube receiver on the back of the car to anchor that end.

For bonus points, I would like to find a way to secure the pin in the shackle without using a second person. Should be easy enough. For extra bonus points, it would be nice to be able to unload with only one person as well. That may be a little more difficult.

PS I am not good at hydraulics so pivot point and size of rams would need to verified.

Dave

This is crude sketch using our truck bed.

Platform is at 45 degrees and vertical supports could become your ramps. For different heights you could use like trailer landing jacks tube within a tube and pins for adjustment.

That's an interesting concept with the loading direction. I like it.

One-person unloading sounds like easy bonus points. Set the parking brake half-way, lock the steering straight ahead, and pull the pin. It'll eventually stop when it finds flat ground. :o

You might take a look at the cam locking mechanism used on higher-end tow bars. It's made to be unlocked even when under tension/compression.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

One-person unloading sounds like easy bonus points. Set the parking brake half-way, lock the steering straight ahead, and pull the pin. It'll eventually stop when it finds flat ground. :o

You might take a look at the cam locking mechanism used on higher-end tow bars. It's made to be unlocked even when under tension/compression.

The quick release mechanism incorporated into snap shackles would work well for unloading. A simple lever would work to move the lock into place. As the shackle is moved into locking position (as vehicle is backed onto platform), it would flip the lock into position.

Another idea would be an electromagnet to unpin the shackle. It could be operated by a simple remote.

Wow, this got unsimple really quickly. Time to dial it back some. :P

Shap Shackle

68229.jpg

For the pin for the shackle, use an linear actuator to engage the pin. Straight horizontal motion. But with the concept I drew up, you could remove the pin while platform is horizontal, before you lower completely to unloading position. Then get in car and drive off backwards. You could always have a set of ramps made to drive off frontwards by lowering the platform angle to a lessor angle. Same as above, lower to horizontal to in pin, then raise slightly to unload position.

As usual, I look for ways to simplify, and it becomes more complicated....so here goes.

Rather than using hydraulics, use air bags. You already have a supply, eliminating lots of mechanical issues.

For locking and unlocking, plumbing air cylinders so that the limit valve for one allows the next to operate should do the trick.

Isn't it fun, spending other people's money?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

For the pin for the shackle, use an linear actuator to engage the pin. Straight horizontal motion. But with the concept I drew up, you could remove the pin while platform is horizontal, before you lower completely to unloading position. Then get in car and drive off backwards. You could always have a set of ramps made to drive off frontwards by lowering the platform angle to a lessor angle. Same as above, lower to horizontal to in pin, then raise slightly to unload position.

I think keeping the teetering concept for loading and unloading is the simplest solution. That would allow the retaining pin to be removed with no tension on it. Plus, it makes setting up the ramps pretty simple since there won't be any tension on them either. So, the platform would only be raised into position after the car has been secured. To unload, it would first be dropped down to flat, pins removed, ramps inserted, and then driven forward off of the truck. The reason for driving forward off of the truck and reversing onto the truck is so I can back into the hitch securing mechanism. I think that's going to be pretty simple.

As usual, I look for ways to simplify, and it becomes more complicated....so here goes.

Rather than using hydraulics, use air bags. You already have a supply, eliminating lots of mechanical issues.

For locking and unlocking, plumbing air cylinders so that the limit valve for one allows the next to operate should do the trick.

Isn't it fun, spending other people's money?

Bags is definitely an option. The only issue I see with bags is getting the distance I need from them. I will have to mount the bags pretty close to the pivot to get enough distance at the rear of the platform, putting a lot of pressure into the bags. I do have a couple of spare Volvo rear suspension bags, though. That's definitely the cheaper/easier option, but the hydraulics seem to be the "right" choice. I'm still thinking through it.

I leave for our West Coast tour in exactly two weeks from today. The plan is to leave from Alabama on July 1st and head west to California circling back through Vegas, Moab, and Salt Lake City. We have several stops planned along the way. The iQ is essential to our ability to get around. I don't see any way to really get this done before leaving, so there is no rush on it.

It will be great to have a four seat vehicle with us. It'll ride in the toy hauler.

27697973121_bda3ce7cf3_b.jpg

You should put that trip in over on https://roadtrippers.com -- great way to find interesting stuff along the way. (And if you slide across the interests bar, there's a steering wheel icon. All kinds of race tracks, museums, and scenic drives.)

Looking @ your rough CAD, noticed that the pivot points are at the outside edge of the deck. What about putting them at the edge of the frame, with a portion of the outside deck swinging up or down?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived