My new experiment

Chad Heiser

I pulled doubles for eight years in CA, first behind my 86 f350 4x4 and then my 2003 super dutyalways under 65ft.

I was stopped one time to check my license for a class A with double triple endorsement. He also checked my rear trailer hookups and for brakes.

It's not a big deal "IF YOUR LEGAL" meaning you should be as close to 65 feet as possible.

And even if the truck is Reg as an RV pulling doubles you must have a class A with the doubles endorsement.

Well we made about 500 miles today with the Jeep in tow behind the 5er. Everything worked great. So far no troubles at all. Hopefully it stays that way for the rest of the trip. I passed way more CHP than I expected to today and none of them gave us a second look, so that was nice as well. We are in Barstow, CA for a quick overnight and heading to the Flagstaff area in the morning. Hopefully the next leg is just as uneventful.

Awesome! We all know this can be done safe with the right equipment. Do you even feel it back there once you are rolling? I always was freaked out by what the second vehicle looked like in the mirrors when cornering on the tighter mountain roads. Minor corrections in the steering wheel multiplied!

I pulled doubles for eight years in CA, first behind my 86 f350 4x4 and then my 2003 super dutyalways under 65ft.

I was stopped one time to check my license for a class A with double triple endorsement. He also checked my rear trailer hookups and for brakes.

It's not a big deal "IF YOUR LEGAL" meaning you should be as close to 65 feet as possible.

And even if the truck is Reg as an RV pulling doubles you must have a class A with the doubles endorsement.

This is true, EXCEPT in here in CA passenger vehicles are not allowed to pull doubles...... Let's hope this never has to be challenged!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

The truck doesn't know the difference. We went up and over the Tahachapi pass at between 55 and 60 mph or so. The only thing that slowed me down was slow moving trucks ahead of me and having to wait for traffic to clear in the left lane so I could pass them. Everything has gone great so far. I passed several AZ highway patrol today with no issues as well.

The only problem I have had was completely unrelated to double towing. We set up in Flagstaff this afternoon and then went out to dinner (in the Jeep) and walked around downtown. When we got back to the RV site and I got out of the Jeep, I heard air hissing from the truck. A little investigation found a small slit in one of my cab airbags. My T2 eats cab airbags like they are going out of style for some reason. This is the fourth one I have blown. I can't figure out why. It might have been a result of some rough roads along I40 today. There was a lot of bouncing in a few spots. The bag was still holding air when I parked and shut down and then gave way obviously just before we got back from dinner because it was still hissing good and the air tank was still 3/4 full (but emptied fairly quickly). Of course this was discovered at about 7:30 pm on Saturday night of Memorial Day Weekend. Hopefully someplace will be open on Monday, if not we will be staying here an extra day.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived