Found - WANTED--Clean or Rusty--Cargo Hatch Key.

WANTED--Clean or Rusty--Cargo Hatch Key. For the belly boxes and engine room doors of The Cat Drag'd Inn. 3.5 to 4.5 inches long, 3/8" square shank at its widest part. See the picture. What I'm really after is one with a longer oval offset handle, the opening large enough to get 3-4 fingers into. Even some information as to what this item is properly called so I might more effectively search would be helpful. Reward!

http://www.thecatdragdinn.org/things2share/Hatch_Key_189.jpg

post-35749-0-70201600-1463957838_thumb.jpg

That would be a loft hatch key. Pretty much what I thought.. doing a quick search they really only have them available from sites in the UK and it looks like through amazon UK most won't ship to the U.S. There are a couple on ebay that will, but the shipping is pretty spendy. The best option might be as Ron suggested and just grind down metal stock to fit and have a handle welded on.

Thank you all for the ideas and links. I've been using a length of 3/8" key stock and will keep that one for a spare spare. The phrase "loft hatch key" was the key. Many of them were only 1/4" and I need 3/8. Finally found one that is 10mm. That will do fine. Thanks again!

--ajo

Archived