OT: Air Bag Suspension for Ford F450

SuiteSuccess

Having read the post's here, I wonder if there are two conversations going on. One group talking about adding air bag HELPER springs, and another talking about REPLACING the leaf springs with air bags and four point suspension. The lower spring "rate" you are seeking can be achieved with leafs or air bags. Ride height is a function of installed height at load, not spring rate.

Just hoping to clarify for the original poster in case there is confusion.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Having read the post's here, I wonder if there are two conversations going on. One group talking about adding air bag HELPER springs, and another talking about REPLACING the leaf springs with air bags and four point suspension. The lower spring "rate" you are seeking can be achieved with leafs or air bags. Ride height is a function of installed height at load, not spring rate.

Just hoping to clarify for the original poster in case there is confusion.

Stekay,

Thank you for the help. I was trying to find out if air bags on the existing suspension (not removing leaf springs) would serve the same or similar function as an air ride pin box or air ride in bed hitch and from the replies, it obviously won't. As I stated in reply 15 above I'm not worried about the ability of my F450 to handle the weight as I've already calculated this.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If you took your truck to a good spring shop, they could duplicate the proper ride height making re-arched springs with a lower "rate" (lbs./in. travel) than you currently have, so the ride is improved without bottoming out. This is undoubtedly less expensive than an all new suspension with air.

Smooth trails Amigo

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

If you took your truck to a good spring shop, they could duplicate the proper ride height making re-arched springs with a lower "rate" (lbs./in. travel) than you currently have, so the ride is improved without bottoming out. This is undoubtedly less expensive than an all new suspension with air.

Smooth trails Amigo

Thanks

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived