OT: Air Bag Suspension for Ford F450

SuiteSuccess

We will occasionally be taking our F450 and our Mobile Suites Trailer on trips with our grandkids (saves us from taking two vehicles since Smart won't hold four). I have the B&W turnover Companion Hitch for the Ford and my trailer pin box is the MorRyde which helps with chucking. I don't want to change the pin box to air ride since it wouldn't play well with the HDT and my ET and I don't want to switch back and forth between pin boxes. Several RV sites suggest adding air bags to the truck to control vertical bounce while the MorRyde controls the horizontal. Anyone with experience? And which airbag system would you suggest? And ease of installation? BTW compared Comfort Ride Hitch for B&W but cost is $$$ vs. $ and this is only occasional use.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I had them on my 350 and it made all the difference in the world. If your only using it occasionally don't spend the money for built n compressor. Just add air till the truck is level. You'll find the sweet spot and just add air when needed for traveling.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I had an AirLift system on the Dodge we had. Worked great for its intended purpose- to level the truck and absorb some of the jolt/shock. But the truck still hated the 4800lb pin weight.

Airlift is a simple DIY install. Maybe 2 hours max installation time.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thanks everyone. I assume if I add the airbags, I am accomplishing much of the same function as an air ride pin box, i.e. dampening trailer bounce?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

You may not "dampen" the ride as much as you might be expecting. Supplemental air bags such as the ones you are purposing for your F-450 will "help" with leveling but depending on the air pressure needed to achieve this may make the ride "harsher". I know you are not expecting a ride similar to the Volve and ET!

I am also very happy with the Air Lift bags and on-board air on my F350. Only need 20 psi to level and have a GREAT ride.

But you don't have near the pin weight of the DRV. Makes a big difference.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Carl- The air bags will lift the truck frame off of the bottom spring on the truck. On the rear axle, the spring pack is 3-4?? leafs thick. Bottom leaf is normally the overload and is thick and does not like to bend giving the truck a harsh ride when the other spring leafs are pushed down to it. Once you lift the weight off of that leaf the ride should get a better ride in the truck. As far as the RV bounce, it will help soften the impact on the truck. But you'll have to remember that there is a solid non-moving connecting hitch from the trailer to truck. The Moryde pin does help with the chucking fore and aft, but that 5" of travel that the ET allows, now transfers to your seat.

Another thought would be to put some extra seating in the HDT...... just a thought.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Carl- The air bags will lift the truck frame off of the bottom spring on the truck. On the rear axle, the spring pack is 3-4?? leafs thick. Bottom leaf is normally the overload and is thick and does not like to bend giving the truck a harsh ride when the other spring leafs are pushed down to it. Once you lift the weight off of that leaf the ride should get a better ride in the truck. As far as the RV bounce, it will help soften the impact on the truck. But you'll have to remember that there is a solid non-moving connecting hitch from the trailer to truck. The Moryde pin does help with the chucking fore and aft, but that 5" of travel that the ET allows, now transfers to your seat.

Another thought would be to put some extra seating in the HDT...... just a thought.

Jim,

Considered the added seating but once we get to location we go to places where we can't take the HDT so would need to rent a car. Pickup allows us to seat five so why I was considering this route. May just have to have Donna follow in the van.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Seems like a lot of worry for what could be a non-issue. All the air bag camp have been in the 350/3500 group. Depending on the year, the 450 could handle a brick-house worth of weight in the bed.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On my Chevy k3500 I put the Kelderman 4 link on it, cost me 5,000.00 and I installed it, and I will do it again when I trade trucks, as I haul a lot of different trailers in my construction work, rides great all the time, sits level, and I can dump the air to hook up to a ball hitch trailer, no using the tongue jack to lift a heavy load, just drop drive out, and when I hook back up just drop and back in, but that's just me.

I pulled my DRV Atalanta to the national rally 2 years ago with it, couldn't even tell I was loaded the way it sat.\

Now I have Volvo air ride, works about the same way :D

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Seems like a lot of worry for what could be a non-issue. All the air bag camp have been in the 350/3500 group. Depending on the year, the 450 could handle a brick-house worth of weight in the bed.

Darryl,

I'm probably missing the whole point of an air ride. I have no worries about the 450 carrying the weight. I was thinking it would "soften" the ride the trailer itself experienced since my companion hitch is rigid and the MorRyde pin box only helps in vertical plane (chucking). I was thinking the air bags on the suspension might act similar to an air ride hitch or air ride pin box, just not as efficiently but better than just springs. Obviously that thinking is probably wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

My confusion, then, There's only 2 things that will help the ride on a 450. First, is a metric ton of weight, the other is full air ride. Aftermarket air bags are a crutch for the LGT crowd, to get the headlights off the ISS.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks folks. Learned a lot.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Darryl I put a kelderman air ride nder a 99 550. Really helped the ride. But it was on my hauler for a 37 Cardinal. It was worth the money(1.5k) for me. Is it really what you need? I would put the bags on it an tow. How much longer are the grand kids going to want to go camping? Go the cheap and quick route and then rethink. Pat

The Old Sailor

Just like previous post, I have Kelderman on my 2001 F550 and wouldn't want to be without it. One time left a vase of flowers on counter and after several miles down the road remembered they were there, stopped and they were still in same place as when we left. Smoooooooth ride.....

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

I put Firestone Ride Rite bags on my F450. They work very well and I would definitely do the same ones again.

Yes that was what I was looking at. Thanks again for the "welding" consultation yesterday. Got the job done today. Not great but better. Just need more practice.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Yes that was what I was looking at. Thanks again for the "welding" consultation yesterday. Got the job done today. Not great but better. Just need more practice.

Glad to help.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I added an AirRide system on our dually F350 with Firestone bags, compressor and gauge in the dash. Didn't need it until I traveled I10 through Louisiana. I think I left a kidney on the side of the highway after that trip. The bags don't take the bounce away from a rough road, but softens that severe, vertical sheer keeping the bed off the axle pads. I like the convenience of letting the air out of the bags from the truck cab when I unhitch and push button inflate before we hit the road. I also have a TrailerSaver hitch. Takes out the chucking and also helps with the bumps.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived