Another Great Cross Country Trip

bmzero

I wanted to share some photos with you guys of my last trip. This time, we went from my home in Alabama to Moab, UT. Moab is my #2 place on the globe, so I was very excited to get back there for a week. It didn't disappoint.

This trip, I took two UTV's with me. The reason I'm posting it here is because only the HDT will allow me to transport two UTV's and my toy hauler and have a way to drive around once you get there. We had an amazing trip and it would not have been possible without the HDT.

2016 Polaris General (116.4" long)

03f20424-426d-4a24-9a57-399d18f09fb5-s.j
I was worried about the length of the General, but we didn't have any issues. That being said, if I continue to haul the General, I will remove the dump bed while in transit. That's about 6-8" of length.
Here's the other RZR that was transported in the toy hauler.

bb318a08-98a8-4732-8119-293f8c454f65-s.j
We shot some more video with this RZR for some of the build sponsors.

Of course we shot some photos of the General out on the trail as well.

b2395094-4d0c-4db7-800c-75322b3917f4-s.j

The Volvo did great on the trip. Through the hills on I70 (Vail, CO) it was flawless. The extra power and engine brake were a huge benefit.

I'm already looking forward to the next trip.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Vail? Between Birmingham and Moab? Try I-40 to Albuquerque, then up US550, 64, and 491 to Cortez. You'll deal with Memphis and OKC traffic instead of Nashville, STL, KC, and Denver, and save about 80 miles. US 550 is 4 lanes and posted at 70 mph most of the way, and the rest are 65 mph 2-lanes for the most part with wide shoulders.

And the Maverick gas station in Monticello has king size candy bars for $1....

Looks like fun!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Looks like major fun! Did you camp out of your RZR or were those just poser shots? :P

I have always wanted to travel out to Moab, but it looks like it will be Marysvale this fall instead.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Bmzero;

Can you Street license those in Alabama?

We have our Ranger licensed here in Washington, we use ours as our "dinghy" and we love it! I take a motorcycle and the Ranger, that way if the wife wants to go off with a friend she can while I explore on the bike.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

We used to work in Moab - at Arches NP. Plus we went there MANY times when we had our "build out" Jeep. It is a great place. They have closed much of the boondocking there, but there is still some. We will definitely get back there in the future. Nothing like hiking to Delicate Arch in the dark and watching the moon rising.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Vail? Between Birmingham and Moab? Try I-40 to Albuquerque, then up US550, 64, and 491 to Cortez. You'll deal with Memphis and OKC traffic instead of Nashville, STL, KC, and Denver, and save about 80 miles. US 550 is 4 lanes and posted at 70 mph most of the way, and the rest are 65 mph 2-lanes for the most part with wide shoulders.

And the Maverick gas station in Monticello has king size candy bars for $1....

Looks like fun!

40 is usually the way I go out and back, but this time I wanted some different scenery. It was definitely worth the extra miles. I70 through CO is an amazing drive. Although $1 king size candy bars might be a game changer!

BM that is an awesome set up with the side by side and tent trailer. Must say you have some skills

Thanks

Those 4-wheelers would be a game-changer in a place like Moab. Well done.

Especially when you get 29" or larger tires on them. They handle the rocks very well.

Looks like major fun! Did you camp out of your RZR or were those just poser shots? :P

I have always wanted to travel out to Moab, but it looks like it will be Marysvale this fall instead.

Poser shots for sure. Although we did talk about doing a two-day/night stint out in the rocks the next trip.

Bmzero;

Can you Street license those in Alabama?

We have our Ranger licensed here in Washington, we use ours as our "dinghy" and we love it! I take a motorcycle and the Ranger, that way if the wife wants to go off with a friend she can while I explore on the bike.

Curt

That really depends on your local laws and leniency. In Alabama, it's tough, but has been done. In Moab, they basically turn a blind eye to them. We drove ours everywhere we went, including into downtown every evening for dinner. You do need a trail permit for Moab, though. $30/yr.

We used to work in Moab - at Arches NP. Plus we went there MANY times when we had our "build out" Jeep. It is a great place. They have closed much of the boondocking there, but there is still some. We will definitely get back there in the future. Nothing like hiking to Delicate Arch in the dark and watching the moon rising.....

I have yet to go into the park. It's definitely on my list, though. Maybe we can take the kids to the park when we drive through this summer. They need some high-heat training anyway. ;-)

wicked cool!; we haven't done a Moab trip on the trails but its on the list

we leave for TN from MN on the 27th for a couple weeks on the trails

taking 3 quads all on the Volvo

leaving all the side by sides at home for this one; should be a blast!

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

In Moab, they basically turn a blind eye to them. We drove ours everywhere we went, including into downtown every evening for dinner. You do need a trail permit for Moab, though. $30/yr.

Yeah, well,it is a 'discretionary" thing in Moab. Start getting crazy and you will be quite unhappy with the outcome.... That includes fast starts, spinning gravel, etc.

Having lived for months at a time in Moab I have mixed feelings about some of the "offroad" machines....including Jeeps. There is a LOT of irresponsible usage.... (not you guys, of course, I'm just saying....)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

wicked cool!; we haven't done a Moab trip on the trails but its on the list

Brimstone? Windrock?

Yeah, well,it is a 'discretionary" thing in Moab. Start getting crazy and you will be quite unhappy with the outcome.... That includes fast starts, spinning gravel, etc.

Having lived for months at a time in Moab I have mixed feelings about some of the "offroad" machines....including Jeeps. There is a LOT of irresponsible usage.... (not you guys, of course, I'm just saying....)

That's a very good point. I saw countless idiots pulled over and I heard of some of them getting tickets. I even heard, first hand, where one guy literally got a slap on the helmet by a cop. The cop gave him the choice between a ticket and a beating. He chose the beating. All in fun, of course. We never had any issues as we followed the speed limits, used hand signals, etc. There are always some in every group that ruin it for the rest.

Moab withdrawals are in full swing this week for me. The struggle is real.

40 is usually the way I go out and back, but this time I wanted some different scenery. It was definitely worth the extra miles. I70 through CO is an amazing drive. Although $1 king size candy bars might be a game changer!

I-70 through western CO is definitely scenic, I-70 through Kansas and Denver not so much. If you ever end up with some free time and a car/light truck, drop down to Aspen and drive over Independence Pass. Lots of fun.

I have yet to go into the park. It's definitely on my list, though. Maybe we can take the kids to the park when we drive through this summer. They need some high-heat training anyway. ;-)

If you take the kids out there, don't miss Canyonlands or Natural Bridges. Natural Bridges has a really good night sky program in the summer--and it gives you an excuse to drive the Moki Dugway if you want. Decent campground in Blanding that can handle your rig.

Brimstone? Windrock?

If you get that close, stop by and say hello! I'm here for a couple more weeks.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Yeah, that has been going around social media. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Archived