Essex Junction, VT places to visit?

Kirk W

For those of us who will be attending the next Escapade in Essex Junction, VT it might be helpful if some of you who know the area would suggest things to see and places in the area to visit while we are there. I'd bet that I'm not the only one who has never been there and has no idea of what is close by?

Your right near Burlington/Winooski. I know they have a good Shopping Mall, Some nice Parks, and your just east of Lake Champlain! Try the Maple Syrup, Medium Amber is the best on Waffles and Pancakes! Plenty of Restaurants from Red Lobster to Moms home cooking style! The Shelburne Museum in South Burlington where they made the tall sail ships! Then there is Stowe Vermont east of EJ., follow I-89 east to Waterbury; about 15 miles, then turn North on 100, a delightful ski area and Fall colors are spectacular!

Vermont is country; with rolling hills and some High mountains and still farm country; hit the roadside markets for some excellent fruits and vegetables and maybe some home brewed Maple syrup!!! B)B)

The tour of the marble factory(I think it is near Ben and Jerry's) is great but a must do is the cemetery. I know that sounds strange but there is awesome marble sculptures(tombstones is a disservice). I don't remember its name but theymake all the tombstones for the National Cemeterys..I think it is in Barre VT but not sure. Been a lot of years.

If you have a bread maker in the family a trip to King Arthur Flour is well worth it. Their store has a lot of pans etc. that you can't find easily any place else. Speciality spices, additions and flours also.

There is a lot to do in VT.

Some of the things we've done in VT on past family vacations are:-

Lake Champlain dinner cruise.

Stowe area: Von Trappe Family Lodge (Yes the Sound of Music family moved to Vermont! Although the Lodge is a timeshare resort now). Trout fishing. Mount Mansfield cable car ride.

Grande Isle/South Hero tour.

Vermont Teddy Bear Factory.

Ferry across lake Champlain to the Ausable Chasm in New York State.

Norman Rockwell Museum Rutland.

And of course just driving around gawking at the mountains!!

BnB

Well, lots of great suggestions already given. I can only add, a visit to the Burlington waterfront, paved bike path runs for miles along the shore. The city has a great campground at North Beach, in addition to camping, access to the beach, swimming, kayaking, on saturdays, a visit to Church St. downtown Burlington where they block off the street, all kinds of shopping, street performers, etc.

Also, same day, visit the farmers market on the common.

As for Stowe, great for a visit during the week, weekends in August , very crowded, many events , antiques, car shows, etc. We visited the Trapp Family Lodge a couple of years ago, First time back there in quite a few years, not as we remembered it.

Carl

Archived