Leads on horse leasing in AZ, NM, So. CA desert?

pegwillen

I will be leaving ME in November to winter in a warm climate, finally. I am looking to do some trail riding, and looking for some leads on finding horse lease opportunities. Being able to ride 1-3 times a week would be an ideal winter. If anyone has any thoughts or experience with this please let me know...thanks

I don't know of any in particular but on the outskirts of the greater Phoenix area and Tucson area are many stables for public use. Google for stables and if one can't help perhaps they could give you other ideas on who to call. I'm sure one would work with your schedule. Good luck! Sounds like a nice way to winter. The areas for riding are fantastic with awesome scenery.

A couple other areas in Arizona that are horse country are Wickenburg or Benson although they are cooler in winter. Both have nice Escapee parks where you could stay. The Wickenburg area Escapee park is actually in nearby Congress.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you with us and will do all that we are able to assist.

If you mean RV parks with places to keep a horse that you bring with you, then there are several of those in the AZ area as well as a few other locations. But if you mean a place that will lease, or time share a horse to you, I have not run across that.

I had some remarkable success in posting a free ad in the Salt Lake area. I had just returned from a trip to Sun Dance at one of the "Guest Ranches" and paid $100 for about a 3 hour ride. Loved the ride but not the price. (It was the best "Paid" Trail Ride I had ever done). Anyway I had noticed an ad for free buy and sell ads supported by the local TV station. I put an ad in " I want to ride" and gave a bit of information about my experience and wants. Within 15 minutes I had 7 horses to ride from three different people that were free to ride (tack included) and a couple other places that wanted volunteer work in exchange for the rides.

In South Florida I stayed at a small ranch that boarded 8 to 10 horses in addition to the owners two to four at times. Was able to work out a deal with a couple boarders to ride their horses, but I had to supply my own tack. (they only had English Saddles.).

Haven't tried lately but would start with a Craigs list in the farm section.

Rod

• 5 weeks later...

Rod, thanks for the reply. I'm still getting the hang of how to navigate these forums, sorry for the late response. I hadn't thought of CL, and will give it a try.

You are welcome and good luck. Let us know if you are successful

Rod

• 5 weeks later...

You are welcome and good luck. Let us know if you are successful

Rod

Update: posted on Craigslist for Tucson and Yuma....a couple of possibilities in Tucson, both are rescue type operations; nothing from the Yuma area.

Update: posted on Craigslist for Tucson and Yuma....a couple of possibilities in Tucson, both are rescue type operations; nothing from the Yuma area.

Have you looked at places for horse boarding? Sometimes they have horses that need to be ridden.

Rod

Have you looked at places for horse boarding? Sometimes they have horses that need to be ridden.

Rod

It was a generic ad, and it just happened that the two responses were from rescues, given that every rescue needs income it makes sense. One rescue ranch's location has great potential for trail riding but there was no camping area within a 40 minute drive, the other is in the western part of greater Tucson so basically desert riding, but more access to camping. I will next target specific ranches as I find them online and contact them through their websites, just throw the request out into the wind and see what happens!

Archived