National HDT Rally

sdixon747

Mr. Big5er,

The Truck will be in our personal names, the only thing associated with the business is the loan. Yes, we will be pulling the race trailer with it. That is where a lot of the gray area comes in to play, commercial/recreation separation. I have had a couple of conversations with people on the definition of commercial vs. non-commercial. It's open to the individual LEA and what mood they are in. Some say, if you receive payment of any sort, it's commercial. Others have said it's recreational unless you are making a living at it. Talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers. I can tell you about NE and the horror stories with their State Patrol. More than a few of my friends have been pulled over. It's even worse now with the pot profiling and CO plates. All we do here is smoke pot, so I am told.

Sinbad5024,

I don't know what kind of trailer that you pull, but I sure would try to be as plain jane as possible. No decals or anything on the outside of the trailer that could be related to a race car inside your trailer. A plain white trailer would not give the LEO a reason to pull you over. I also would make sure that I am doing the correct speed going down the road.

Just my thoughts, and have fun with your hdt,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a newbee to this site and attending the WCR in June, my wife and I are looking forward to attending the National Rally in October. We sent our registration in the mail today. Looking forward to meeting some great and talented people. See you soon.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I just got word that we have a new participant in the Mini RV Show Wednesday, October 12th. Along with New Horizons, SpaceCraft, DRV, and Continental Coach, Augusta RV will have a 2017 Luxe on display for all to see. I believe they will be a great addition to the Mini RV Show. Stay tuned, there may be more to come.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Mr. Big5er,

I have had a couple of conversations with people on the definition of commercial vs. non-commercial. It's open to the individual LEA and what mood they are in. Some say, if you receive payment of any sort, it's commercial. Others have said it's recreational unless you are making a living at it. Talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers. I can tell you about NE and the horror stories with their State Patrol. More than a few of my friends have been pulled over. It's even worse now with the pot profiling and CO plates. All we do here is smoke pot, so I am told.

I agree there is some interpretation difference, but to me the regs are fairly clear. Part of the issue is how you claim your earnings on your tax return (no way to check on roadside) and the other involves sponsorship. The internet is a lovely thing. It is impossible to race and keep yourself off the net (unless you really suck). Somewhere there is a picture of your car (fan page, your own page, race track page). Got sponsor logos? Shame on you.

Sinbad5024,

A plain white trailer would not give the LEO a reason to pull you over. I also would make sure that I am doing the correct speed going down the road.

Al

Al, trust me. I car hauler "looks" like a car hauler. Run the registration, enter the owners name in a search engine with the word "racing". The odds are you will find something on the internet. I know what the car in the trailer looks like before I even stop the truck.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We are thinking about coming but have to get plates of the motor home first and get the hitch installed

We would love to see you there!

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Sinbad5024,

I don't know what kind of trailer that you pull, but I sure would try to be as plain jane as possible. No decals or anything on the outside of the trailer that could be related to a race car inside your trailer. A plain white trailer would not give the LEO a reason to pull you over. I also would make sure that I am doing the correct speed going down the road.

Just my thoughts, and have fun with your hdt,

Al

I am as plain as can be. No stickers, nothing. Just a red trailer that matches the red HDT. Look forward to having fun.

I agree there is some interpretation difference, but to me the regs are fairly clear. Part of the issue is how you claim your earnings on your tax return (no way to check on roadside) and the other involves sponsorship. The internet is a lovely thing. It is impossible to race and keep yourself off the net (unless you really suck). Somewhere there is a picture of your car (fan page, your own page, race track page). Got sponsor logos? Shame on you.

Al, trust me. I car hauler "looks" like a car hauler. Run the registration, enter the owners name in a search engine with the word "racing". The odds are you will find something on the internet. I know what the car in the trailer looks like before I even stop the truck.

No logos, no stickers on the car (hate em) nothing anywhere and no sponsors. Yes, I am sure I am on the internet somewhere.

On another note, I have been trying to talk the wife into going to the Rally, but alas, I will be heading to Northern California with my son to tour a couple of colleges the same week. We will make a Rally, we need to make it. We have attended a couple of "The Rally" rallies and really enjoyed them.

Shane

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

We are thinking about coming but have to get plates of the motor home first and get the hitch installed

You really should make an effort to come. You will learn a lot, and you will make a lot of new friends. Hope to see you there!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Steve, Question , We will be at a rally in Texas that ends on the 27th of Sept and then heading north to KS, as we are fulltimers , we

we need to know how early we can get into the HDT rally area and if we have to spend a week some place else. Thanks Jim & Norma

PS: would prefer to go directly to KS fairground

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Steve, Question , We will be at a rally in Texas that ends on the 27th of Sept and then heading north to KS, as we are fulltimers , wewe need to know how early we can get into the HDT rally area and if we have to spend a week some place else. Thanks Jim & NormaPS: would prefer to go directly to KS fairground

Hi Jim and Norma

There is a Good Sams rally that ends on October 1st, so the RV park is usually booked full while they are there. In years past, some of us have stayed over by the office next to the gazebo. There are a few water / electric sites there. Should be able to get in to thr RV park on the 2nd. Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

HDTGail Ok so it is official, the check is in the mail. We are coming to our first Rally. Very anxious now for October to arrive.

Norm & Rhonda

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

I have a few questions and I was not sure who to direct them to.....

1- We are planning on arriving the 6th of October and leaving around the 18th of October. Do we stop at the office first or find you and park then contact the office?

2-We have recently purchased a larger Breville Smart Oven Plus and are wanting to sell our Breville Compact Smart Oven. (It is in great condition I just wanted the larger one with slow cook function). Will it be okay if I create an ad or put it by our rig on a table with a 4 Sale sign during the rally?

If you are not familiar with Breville they truly cook like a big S & B oven without heating the RV. Here is the link that gives more information about it http://www.brevilleusa.com/cooking/ovens.html

3-I am not sure if I told you but we will participate in the "Show off your Camper" if anyone wants to see what a Powerhouse looks like. We are have no problem showing off our home on wheels anytime during the rally.

4-For chinese bingo do we bring one gift (couple) or two gifts as individuals. We were at Camping World and I found some great ideas.

I am SO EXCICTED to attend our first rally.

Travels of the Lipson Chicken Coop

Ed and Patti Lipson
with their 4 parrots

Full timing in a
2008 Powerhouse Coach
Enclosed Trailer
2016 Smart Car

I have a few questions and I was not sure who to direct them to.....

1- We are planning on arriving the 6th of October and leaving around the 18th of October. Do we stop at the office first or find you and park then contact the office?

2-We have recently purchased a larger Breville Smart Oven Plus and are wanting to sell our Breville Compact Smart Oven. (It is in great condition I just wanted the larger one with slow cook function). Will it be okay if I create an ad or put it by our rig on a table with a 4 Sale sign during the rally?

If you are not familiar with Breville they truly cook like a big S & B oven without heating the RV. Here is the link that gives more information about it http://www.brevilleusa.com/cooking/ovens.html

3-I am not sure if I told you but we will participate in the "Show off your Camper" if anyone wants to see what a Powerhouse looks like. We are have no problem showing off our home on wheels anytime during the rally.

4-For chinese bingo do we bring one gift (couple) or two gifts as individuals. We were at Camping World and I found some great ideas.

I am SO EXCICTED to attend our first rally.

Hi Ed and Patti

Gail and I will be there at least a week ahead of time. Since you are a part of the "mini RV show" contact us before you get there so we can show you where to park. We are trying to keep all of the show rigs together.

Selling your oven is not a problem. We'll have a place available that you can put it on display if you like.

For Chinese Bingo, it one gift per couple.

We are looking forward to seeing you there.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Not going to be able to make the entire Rally again this year. I may (if my day off works to my advantage) Ride down on my motorcycle for a quick tour and back the next day. Have an offer of someone's "Bunk" if they make it, but not sure if they will be able to come either. Haven't heard if Jay will be there with his "sleeping box" and depending on the weather I may choose a last minute motel room. The truck has to be done before the rally though and while it's coming along pretty well I had to miss this weekend due to work. I really had a good day planned until I found out I was on call. Hopefully the lumber yard doesn't close next Saturday for their Labor Day weekend.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I just got news that changed my mind to try attend for a couple of days. I need some help planning though. What days are the Manufacturers going to be there? What days would there be time for us to get to see some of the rigs and pick peoples brains?

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I just got news that changed my mind to try attend for a couple of days. I need some help planning though. What days are the Manufacturers going to be there? What days would there be time for us to get to see some of the rigs and pick peoples brains?

Here is the schedule. Weds is show day for manufacturers. Any day you can see rigs and pick brains.

http://www.hdtrally.com/images/2016/2016_HDT_Rally_Schedule_of_Events.pdf

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl is right. Wednesday is the day of the "Mini RV Show". In addition to the manufacturers on the schedule, there will be at least one more probably two. (Just waiting on confirmation) On Wednesday, there are little or no seminars that afternoon to allow everyone to see the Show Rigs and to be able to show off unique features of their own trucks and get ideas form others. We would love to have you come out and do all the "Brain Pickin'" you like.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

1ROD,

We won't attend this year.

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

Here is the schedule. Weds is show day for manufacturers. Any day you can see rigs and pick brains.

http://www.hdtrally.com/images/2016/2016_HDT_Rally_Schedule_of_Events.pdf

Carl is right. Wednesday is the day of the "Mini RV Show". In addition to the manufacturers on the schedule, there will be at least one more probably two. (Just waiting on confirmation) On Wednesday, there are little or no seminars that afternoon to allow everyone to see the Show Rigs and to be able to show off unique features of their own trucks and get ideas form others. We would love to have you come out and do all the "Brain Pickin'" you like.

Steve

Great thanks!

I am looking into it now. The only issue is that my wife may not have enough PTO to take the time off but we are going to try!

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I was just looking..... Only one other person (so far) besides me is registered with a little truck. I am going to feel so small there......... But I am still looking forward to it!!

Mntom,

You can count on one more "little" truck. Registration is in for our first ever HDT Rally. Looking forward to the trip south.

Steven

Steven

Our first year we had the little F350. Didn't stop us from having a great time, learning a lot, making friends and getting in on the group picture . . . . back row.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Archived