National HDT Rally

sdixon747

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Know Henry has his hands full but we had some fun today by pulling an ET Hitch for repair if he makes it saving him some time. 30 min job that we deftly turned into 3 1/2 hours because of my bed design. Without some really good, knowledgeable help (Dave H., Paul, Tom, Ken) wouldn't have been possible. What a great group. Thanks again. Downside, learned some new tools I may have to have. Let's see incremental socket, Snap On portable impact, etc.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Know Henry has his hands full but we had some fun today by pulling an ET Hitch for repair if he makes it saving him some time. 30 min job that we deftly turned into 3 1/2 hours because of my bed design. Without some really good, knowledgeable help (Dave H., Paul, Tom, Ken) wouldn't have been possible. What a great group. Thanks again. Downside, learned some new tools I may have to have. Let's see incremental socket, Snap On portable impact, etc.

You guys are a peach, that will save a ton of time, the replacement is all painted and will be put together eminently. If the old hitch is in pieces it's OK, save all the parts.

It's getting ugly but we are making progress. The bulky generator that set around for three years, finally got it fired.

DSC_0445_zpsz3cwwsjy.jpg

Also we found a gas station that was open in filled up generator "supply".

DSC_0442_zpsiwedlgbf.jpg

Next we plugged it into the house and switched the power to the generator.

DSC_0441_zpsrj0ags1c.jpg

Life is good, everything will run on this sucker. The governor almost guaranteed that power will be interrupted. The local utility (nuclear powered) has ton of money and they upgraded the infrastructure to hurricane proof, poles, wires etc. and pre-positioned thousands of people, local and from other states, to deal with it.

The house is elevated quite a bit, unusual for Florida.

DSC_0444_zpsg1aosoy7.jpg

Part of the reasons for the elevation is the major canal next to the house for dealing with runoffs (and hurricanes).

DSC_0443_zpsepxa4hb8.jpg

Where is it where the truck and trailer are prepositioned

Truck is in the repair shop, it needs new radiator and the fan clutch (just got a new alternator). The fifth is being stored in a local campground.

The plan is to "preposition" the trailer and the truck on the side of the house, almost up the the first of the three palm trees. Requires a new culvert in front of that round shrub, loose the shrub and compact a gravel pad 70 feet long.

The culvert requires engineered plan that the city would approve since the swale drains a whole bunch of houses into the canal and able to support 23K camper and 20K truck going over it and not crushing it.

the culvert you see is on city's property, not mine and not built to support what I need.

Stay safe Henry.

We are in central Illinois watching and waiting for Matthew to pass our home in Mims, Fl. It'll be a long night for a lot folks and keeping them in our prayers. Been in touch with our neighbors who'll let us know how we faired before we decide which direction to travel next; continue to Hutch or head back home.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

With shutters on you can't hear "all the action", but things are "interesting" opening the front door. Gusts are up to 60 mph, waiting for the 80 mph stuff in the next hour or so. The eye is past us and it missed us. The lights are still on from FP&L (Florida Power and Light). Just learned from the talking heads that FP&L invested 2 billion dollars in new infrastructure, I guess it pays well to have a nuclear power plant. Staying up (keeping and eye on things) and "doodling" on the computer to kill time.

Mongoose%20Bodies_zps2775arnt.jpg

Henry - Hopefully the rest of the night was uneventful as well ......

As for us, gotta load a few more items, hitch up and should be in Hutch before dark this evening.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Jim, Looks like strong winds are blowing over your place right now (9AM EDT).

Hope all is well down south, Henry

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Just got update from neighbor that a few trees are down but power is still up. Call it a miracle. We were so fortunate Matthew turned more northerly during the night. Appears this may be the worst of it and hopefully none of those trees fell on our home! Hope to be pulling out from friends place in Illinois in the morning.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

The "event" has turned pretty much into "non-event" which is lucky, since there was a lot of damage here during Jeanne and Frances in 2004. Mostly debris, down trees and pool enclosures. I was concerned about ours but as of this morning it's standing tall,

DSC_0447_zpsoosk9hjr.jpg

except for one roof corner brace.

DSC_0446_zpsn1nzjsij.jpg

I think I will fix it. Since I no longer am using a walker, my "appearance of infirmity" has gone away. I wouldn't want to get this look from the insurance man, "what's wrong with you, guy ".

As you can see from the palm trees it's still blowing this morning

Looking forward to photos of the events and activities at the Rally either here or on the Facebook page. Have a great time.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We stayed in Broken Arrow last night. This trip is our first time west of the Mississippi, first time through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, and first truck rally.

To everyone an early Sunday hello and looking forward to it.

Kevin and June

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

We stayed in Broken Arrow last night. This trip is our first time west of the Mississippi, first time through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, and first truck rally.

To everyone an early Sunday hello and looking forward to it.

Kevin and June

Looking forward to meeting you Keven and June. Safe Travels and we will see you when you get here.

Norm & Rhonda

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

I just read that today is Thanksgiving in Canada. I know there is at least ONE Canadian at the rally this year, so it would be nice to wish our friends a very happy Thanksgiving! Especially since they might be missing family this week.

Kevin.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Archived