Hood Bounce

VegasFlyer

We read the post regarding hood latches coming undone while driving down the road, however, there does not seem to be anything on adjusting the play in the latches.

With our truck, the latches have been secure, though there seems to be a lot of play in them, as the good does move quite a lot while driving down the road.

The Volvo Service Manual is limited to removing and replacing the latches or pins.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks,

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I replaced my hood pins and it was pretty straight forward. I also found out it's a good idea to put some grease on those pins. All of the alignment and other needed adjustments are done at the latch side of things.

I found I could reach the latch adjustment bolts with the hood closed if I reached inside the "splash shields".

I replaced the latches on my 2001. Very easy and not that expensive. I had one side that was difficult to get to latch when I first took possession of the truck. Had to go to that side and push it down. After the change of latches, no problems. Just push the hood closed.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I apologize, it does not appear that I provided enough info. I am referring to the movement of the hood, up and down, at the latches, when the hood is fully secured.

On this truck, with the hood latched, there is about one half inch of gap between the wear pads on the hood and the wear pads on the cab.

I am just trying to find out the specs to adjust the hood gap properly and to determine when the springs on the latch pins need to be replaced.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Sorry.. My bad. The springs will need replacement if they're not ejecting the hood pins up out of the latch on release. If the hood is "popping"... They're good.

Jay,

The latches work fine. They latch and unlatch properly, I am referring to the gap when they are fully latched and the resulting bounce of the hood when you are driving down the road.

It may be completely normal.

Since that gap can be adjusted by adjusting the nut on the back side of the latch pin, I am looking for the correct specs.

For the record, the latches appear to work great and are absolutely secure.

They are nothing like the rubber bands on the disposable trucks.... ;)

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

JohnThe three or four other Volvo trucks I've looked are the same as mine, they don't touch the blocks either.Nigel

Thanks Nigel!

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

There will always be some visible movement of the hood, as it is separately mounted relative to the cab. I would say mine wiggles... but it never bounces. I'd be less concerned about the gap dimension and more interested in hood and cab surfaces being in the same plane at that gap. I think my gap is about 1.5 inches, for what is worth. Not at all critical.

Adjustments can be made by loosening the hood latch from the mount. There are adjustment slots in the mount to accommodate any fine tuning.

Some Freightshaker models have a aircleaner boot vertical adjustment and if it adjusted too high the hood can rock from side pivoting on the aircleaner boot.

...v-trucks likely do not have this feature......of course on a shaker if the hood is bouncing and the windows are rattling......it just means all is well and you are still moving..

Drive on...(90f on the edge of Death Valley.....nap time)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I just got my truck 2 months ago and the hood bounce was pretty bad . I have the rubber ones on mine (like the volvo's i think) and One of them popped off yesterday - the rubber just failed and came apart in a tension failure.

Dealer says it's normal and they lose elasticity/rebound with time and even though they look good and latch properly they may stretch too much when they're old and cause too much hood bounce.

Tomorrow I'm getting two new ones so we'll see if that's accurate

On My truck there's nothing to adjust

This is my first HDT so I'm still learning here but it would seem these rubbber style latches need fairly regular replacing and it'll be worse if the truck sits outside all the time

2013 KW T660

485HP, 18 speed & locking tandems

2015 XLR 45' Toy-hauler

If you just drive a LOT faster, the hood popping open issue seems to fade away....

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Archived