wiring problem.

GlennWest

Ok, plug checks out good. Wires all right place. Charge line good now. I changed jacolee to 12 direct. Running lights acting strange to me. Have voltage leaving truck. Have voltage at fuse panel in camper. Installed circuit breaker lost voltage to camper. Unplug circuit breaker voltage returns. What gives

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Do believe there is a short in the camper running lights. All power checks good. No shorts reading. Soon as connection made to camper blows fuse. Pin box area is good. Fuse box for hitch lights, running, charge, etc inside storage and fused. All is good until leaves fuse box.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

So you are getting 12v all the way up to a fuse panel in the camper? Thats a bit weird to me as I've never seen the lights routed thru a fuse panel in the RV itself...but maybe its a upscale thing. Just to be clear, is this correct?

1) the fuse you are talking about is in the RV itself, on a fuse panel where there are fuses for turn signals and running lights

2) There is 12V up to the fuse, but as soon as you put in a fuse it blows.

3) there is no short circuit shown to the frame ground or the ground pin in the plug on the output side of the fuse.

If the above are correct the problem has to be in the trailer.

Question: Does the fuse blow even if the running lights are not on on the truck? If so, there is a backfeed problem. Have you tested the output side of that fuse for 120V AC??? That would certainly smoke the fuse. I'm wondering if maybe you have a AC to DC wire short in the trailer.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

No not plugged in fuse held. I just chevked wires. I have 2 wires Leaving junction box. Removed wire nuts to isolate. Both show ground with ohm meter. In all settings except 2000 it reads 0. In 2000 setting .0002

YOU got it isolated now. Good work.

I had a 120V AC popping the breaker on my RV, finally traced it to one wire to one plugin...and a screw they ran thru the wire when building the trailer.

No camper at present.

Any chance you're mixing a positive ground trailer with a negative ground truck, or vice versa? Test: tie truck ground to trailer ground (but nothing else - i.e. use a jumper cable for quick&easy), then meter voltage between truck hot and trailer hot. If 0v, you're good. If 24v, it's the thought above. if it's anything else, you've got me stumped.

Glad you found it! Someitmes those things can be major frustrating.

One of the first things my FIL taught me : First rule of electrical troubleshooting: "Look in the place of last human intervention." Can't tell you the # of times this has let me "pull the rabbit outta the hat".

No camper at present.

Archived