Caulking

mesa

I have a leak in the shower and was wondering what you experts use to plug the leak,looks like the plastic shower wall to the aluminum enclosure,research says silcone is a no no so wondering what you suggest.

Are you saying that the leak is at the top of the shower surround where it is loose and not a break in the material of the surround? Did it have some sort of sealant where the leak is that has failed? The best answer depends upon where it is located and just what the problem is. When using caulking products the important thing to remember is that if you apply a silicone product, 100% of that product must be removed before you can add any new caulking materials since nothing (not even silicone) will stick to cured silicone. It may be that with the newer, paintable silicone products that this has changed, but be very careful. I prefer to use butyl caulking in any location where there could be difficulty in removing it if need be since it isn't nearly so critical.

Although I haven't yet needed it in a bathroom application, I have had very good luck with home silicone door and window caulk (specifically, Dap Dynaflex 230) on exterior applications (trim pieces and such). While it is designed for home doors and windows and is 100% waterproof, it has held up extremely well where I have used it. No cracks or coming unglued in spite of extreme sun and heat, and it doesn't remain sticky forever and attract tons of dust and dirt. It goes on white but cures clear (make sure you get the tube that says "clear"), and is very forgiving if the surface it is going on is not completely clean. But as Kirk said, if you are trying to caulk over pure silicone, the old stuff has to be removed pretty thoroughly.

Good luck.

Kirk the leak is right where the shower pan and shower wall meet the glass enclosure, I have just been researching and it seems a lot of people stay away from silcone on the plastic area of the shower.

Lexol from Ace hardware, Geocel pro RV. Even Goop RV or Liquid Nails clear sealant. All are solvent based sealants that stick hard, don't yellow and stay flexible. I won't use Silicone anywhere.

Lexol from Ace hardware, Geocel pro RV. Even Goop RV or Liquid Nails clear sealant. All are solvent based sealants that stick hard, don't yellow and stay flexible. I won't use Silicone anywhere.

Yep, silicone may work well in household applications, but RVs just move around too much. I'm a huge fan of the Geocel ProFlex RV products for stuff like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAWQYY

For keeping water out, I love ProFlexRV (surface use), butyl tape (between), and eternabond (SHTF). There are a lot of good sealants out there that are proven to hold up in the environments that we place them in. Silicone is not at the top of that list.

ProFlexRV brushable is the bomb for resealing the roof on your RV when that time comes (mine is 10 years old, so that has been my project the past month).

Good luck, you are doing the right thing and asking questions - buy the good stuff, prep it right before applying, and you won't regret it!

Archived