Replaced steer axle airbag on Volvo

sclord2002

I discovered a leaking steer axle passenger side airbag on my 780 at the ECR, so I replaced it yesterday. The replacement was just about the easiest thing I have ever done on my truck....no bolts or nut at all. The bag has plastic snaps that hold it to the frame bracket on top and to the axle bracket on the bottom. Jack the frame up about 6 inches, remove the air line, unclip several plastic clips on top and bottom of airbag, remove the old bag and clip in the new bag, connect the airline, lower jack and check for air leaks......if only everything could be this simple to repair/ replace. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Great info Charlie. Thanks.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I discovered a leaking steer axle passenger side airbag on my 780 at the ECR, so I replaced it yesterday. The replacement was just about the easiest thing I have ever done on my truck....no bolts or nut at all. The bag has plastic snaps that hold it to the frame bracket on top and to the axle bracket on the bottom. Jack the frame up about 6 inches, remove the air line, unclip several plastic clips on top and bottom of airbag, remove the old bag and clip in the new bag, connect the airline, lower jack and check for air leaks......if only everything could be this simple to repair/ replace. Be safe, Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I have a question for you. What do you think about replacing the other air bag. That way you have both air bags replaced at the same time. Just a thought on way end. I always think of replacing thinks in pairs. Especially if the job is easy to do.

Talk to you later, Good luck on your project,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

How come it is that you get all the easy ones???

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Responding to the posts: I have a 2006 Volvo 780 with the Hendrickson Airtek axle with 2 height control valves and I used the old part number 8511-2673..the new part number 2089-7204 does not have the big steel washer [support plate] that goes under the bottom of the bag and they say pre 2007 needs that ??? I did think about replacing both bags but decided to just put that $165.00 in reserve and see if i can find a better deal on one as a spare or later replacement. As long as I can pinch off or cap the air line, I don't think it would put me on the side of the road awaiting replacement. I found a new bag with the new [ post 2007] part number 2089-7204 for $100.00 but the one I needed is harder to find. I may need to do like Sibernuts boss and get a spare Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Archived