where to charge from

GlennWest

For charging our batteries on our Freightliner I have just gone to the batteries. I have not looked for a jump start lug so can't tell you where it is at.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Truck been setting weeks now. Going to put charge on it. Is the jump start lug under hood good spot. Or do I need to go to batteries

As GeorgiaHybrid said, Glenn, I've had good success with using the jump start lugs on my truck for charging/maintaining the batteries.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Jump start lugs are probably positioned so they meet two "requirements": safe separation from each other (to prevent arcs) and relatively close to starter (to avoid losses in long copper runs). Batteries get positioned where they're out of the way, out of the spray, and easier to replace. Putting your charger on the jump start lugs probably results in a little bit of resistive loss in the cabling, but if your charger is strong enough, 90% of strong enough is probably still strong enough.

Solar or 110v?

When I have shore power it is 110v.

When on solar, my Blue Sky charge controller has an aux charge mode that switches over to charging/maintaining the start battery after the house batteries are topped off. It's a pretty slick system.

Not a big deal when we are on the road, but my rig sits for several months at a time because we are not fulltime yet.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Glenn, do you have a way to take a picture of your jump lugs and post them? I checked our truck and I only see the posts on the starter, no other lugs on the drivers side under the hood that I could see.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Lots of parks I'm in truck can't be on site with me. Like here it is at park but not on my site. I had to run 200 feet of cord to charge. I will be getting solar for it.

Sounds like a good idea. Solar maintainers are inexpensive - you don't need a huge amount to keep the batteries topped off.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Solar panels work great as battery maintainers. Since batteries at rest, disconnected will see a discharge of around 10%, it doesnt take much to compensate. I've used some from Harbor Freight that seem to have done the job good enough. And the price is reasonable. Just dont treat them too rough, they arent very robustly built.

Marcel

I haven't used a charger on my truck for over 2 years. I have the harbor freight panels set up to keep batteries charged. The truck sat for 4 months this winter and restarted with no problems. It will probably sit another 4 months while,I do chemo this summer. Expect it to restart with no problems.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Glenn, do you have a way to take a picture of your jump lugs and post them? I checked our truck and I only see the posts on the starter, no other lugs on the drivers side under the hood that I could see.

Dave

Similar to this. About the size around of a roll of dimes, or pennies.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I put a 33 watt panel that I had on my truck with an inexpensive controller. It is usually fully charged and switched to float by noon at the latest. We are normally in the western or southwestern US where the sun is abundant but it has never failed to keep the batteries charged. I don't disconnect the batteries from the truck either.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

in the winter we will park trucks for months with the batteries disconnected by switches. Turn the switch and the vehicle comes to life. ... battery cut off switches are a parked HDT's best friend vs yet another "system" to chase and maintain...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived