Freightliner Information & Links

Morelli

Hello Everyone,

For those folks that own Freightliners / SportChassis trucks, here is a link that you should have:

http://www.dtnaecomponents.com/index.html

and a direct link the M2 series:

http://www.dtnaecomponents.com/Freightliner/BusinessClassM2/BusinessClassM2Components.htm

I hope you all find it useful information and helps solve problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to the following link:

https://quickserve.cummins.com

Register for an account, have the ESN number on your engine plate handy. There is no cost for this.

Once you have a login, register your ESN within the portal via the "Add engine serial number" and when that is done, you can goto

Service -> Dataplate

Look in the "Service Model Name" window.

For the Engine Information, the dataplate is located on the top side of the gear housing. It includes the following engine data:

• Engine Serial Number (ESN)
  • Critical Parts List (CPL)
  • Model
  • Horsepower and RPM rating

If the engine dataplate is not readable, the ESN can be found on the engine block on top of the lubricating oil cooler housing. Additional engine information is on the electronic control module (ECM) dataplate.

Thanks for the info PUG. I don't have my truck yet, however I do have the ESN. I registered it and I have the L101. I gave them my ESN and they said they can turn it up but its not cheap! Will that change when they plug into it? Who knows I'm going to try anyway. It seems to me that they could at least bump it to the 345/1150 parameter????

Admittedly I am not a cummins engineer, however I find it odd that by adding 30 horsepower and 250 pounds of torque would require new pistons??

ISL 9 L101 considered Family 1 engines max out 350 HP and 1000 FT/LB torque, NO ECU upgrades from Cummins to go higher. These engines require new pistons, turbo, and damper.

ISL 9 L102 considered Family 2 engines max out at 380 and 1250 FT/LB torque. Engines marked L102 can have software upgrades to 380 / 1250.

PUG if there are the two different families of engine as indicated above what are the differences in the family of engines in the motorhomes such as the 450/1250 engine. For example is it the L103? Just curious if you have found this in all your research.

RV engines are totally different, they are built from the get go to be for heavy usage. I have no data on those and sorry, have not focused on them. I do know a few folks that have had their turned up with no issues at all.

When my truck gets here and I begin to go down this road I will report back. BTW in playing around with the cummins insite website I entered a ESN from a 2013 ISL9 380. Its dataplate info lists it as a L101 engine family.

Pug, I don't want to start an argument here, but according to the dealer it is the way it was ordered and delivered from the Sportchassis. It was not modified with new pistons, turbo and dampener, and they, the dealer, they do not have the ability to reproduce the Cummings engine plate. Also by running the EIN the info on the Cummings quick serve site indicate it is 380 hp and built in 3 of 2014. I guess we will never know the answer. Dick

You guys this is all great information. Dick thanks for sending that info now I see it with my own eyes (-; . About 6 months ago I pulled the ESN off a 2015 Sportschassis that has a 345/1150 tune when I called Cummins with that ESN to see if they could bump it higher they did some research and told me by that engines CPL the best they could do was 345/1150. Does the 350/1000 contain more flexibility??? I doubt it I think its the same engine, but who knows. Now I have not researched this as much as Pug but I have begun to research this topic and from every thing he's said in his above post he is correct. I too am not interested in arguing. All the data plates I have seen on cummins engines are essentially taped not riveted. To be honest all I want to do is take my truck to Cummins, pay the astronomical fee to turn it up and leave with a great running truck. You guys have helped me ALOT!

Pug besides the fact that these trucks are covered under the basic two year 250k warranty and the supposed L101/CPL restriction if the truck is off warranty would they turn it up then?

I will also add that I think Pug is also correct because for the last two years as I researched these M2 106's I was told by every dealer that they could not order the truck with an engine above the 350 HP parameter because of cooling blah blah blah. Every truck that I have seen that has the 380 tune was not done by Freightliner or Sportschassis.

Just talked with sales at sports chassis and was told that they can or only allowed to order the trucks in with 350 go and 1000 ft-lb torque. So more than likely some was done through a freightline or a authorize cummins service center to reprogram these motors to a higher up and torque...None of the sports chassis dealers that I have talked to do not have the capabilities of retuning these motors. My local cummins center told me on my unit which is a 8.3 that they could bump up to 350 from 330 and from 1000 to 1050 torque. Not sure if it's worth $250.

Archived