Just Retired - Cabin Fever!

Capt Frank

I know I'm coming late to this but I'm going to throw in something.

Most of what we use our houses for is storing stuff. Very little is used for living space, unless you entertain a lot. How much square footage can one man occupy at one time? 2? 5? 6 or so if laying down. Most of everything beyond that is either special-purpose space (bathroom, kitchen, bed) or for storing stuff. Point being, you don't want to carry much stuff in an RV, so maybe try and rethink how much space you need.

You're single, a photographer, and I bet somewhat adventurous. You probably don't envision sitting around in an RV park chatting with the old folks all day. I'm just guessing. :) Point of that being, if you want to get into older/smaller state/national park campgrounds (which are the majority), then rig size has a HUGE influence on where you can and can't go, especially east of the Mississippi. So if you want to be adventurous, and take pics in nature, then take the smallest practical rig. Certainly under 30', and much better under 25'.

Think hard about where you want to go before thinking about how you want to get there. I would spend some time with websites like forestcamping.com, and reserveamerica.com and start looking at what campsite size and availabilty is in the locations you want to go. I think you will find it eye-opening.

If it was me, and I was single and a photographer I would be looking hard at a 4x4 pickup and a truck camper. That's plenty of space for 1 person and will let you go many, many places no other type of RV will.

Now us, we have a 40' motorhome because we're a couple, and I still have an unhealthy addiction to stuff. But that means we are closed out of a TON of places we'd like to go. If my spouse were to be taken from me I'd downsize that to a truck camper or van conversion in a heartbeat.

If you do decide to go with a 5er, consider a toyhauler. They offer a lot of options normal 5ers don't, and they tend to have much better ground clearance. Again, that helps you get in more places.

Bottom line: research and think about where you want to go and what you want to do first, then start picking an RV. :)

1994 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB40

Full-timers since 2016, domiciled in Crestview, Florida

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to think about is with either a truck or a toad (if you have a motorhome) you really aren't shirt out of anywhere, just takes a little more time to get there. And for a lot of us, comfort becomes a little more important as we age and the body is less forgiving.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Welcome! We've been fulltime for 10 years and have no plans to stop. While you can probably afford a new unit I would strongly suggest you buy a 1 or 2 year old unit. Since you haven't been camping for quite a while it's hard to choose a floorplan that's going to be liveable to you unless you spend time in it. If you must purchase a new unit, rent a couple of units before you buy and go out for a few trips. All of the components in rv's work the same, ac's, frig, stove, toilet, shower, etc. By renting you may gain some insight on what would be comfortable for you to stay in fulltime. Many people have gone whole hog with a new unit/truck/motorhome and discovered the floorplan doesn't work for them. By buying a used unit you can decide what you like and what you don't like. You can always buy a new one next year.

Read lots of rv forums like this one. www.rv.net, www.Irv2.com and all the blogs you can find. Nick Russell has been fulltime for 12 years and writes a bimonthly digital newsletter for rv'rs and has written several books. Read his blog everyday. Whatever you buy make sure it's a quality unit, insulation, dual pane windows and frame size are important. Good luck

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

Welcome to the forum. We are in San Tan Valley for a bout 4 months for chemo treatment. If you want to get together and pick mu brain I am available. If you want to see a HDT, I have one. If you are an instructor we need to talk as I am interested in obtaining my private pilots license. You will find that the first year or two you will be very busy. You will try to do everything that is on the back burner. Don't get too busy. Enjoy the time. Explore new restaurants. Look at a lot of rv's. We actually looked for 15 years but when it came time to purchase, we knew what we wanted and my DW picked the one she wanted. The new model year was out so we got a solid 40% off mark. KBB is more than we paid. I have heavily modified my RV, solar, lithium batteries, insulation, residential thermostats, wifi ranger and soon a Maximum Signal cellular booster.

Ron, thanks for the offer and I'll take you up on it! Some of your modifications are of great interest to me. I'm not quite up to speed on RV shorthand, so what are HDT, KBB, and DW?

Frank

Just to add a few for you:

DH = Dear (Damn) Husband, DD, DS, etc.

CCC = cargo carrying capacity. This is a biggy

GAW - gross weight an axle can safely handle

GVWR - gross weight of vehicle when loaded

GCWR - gross weight of vehicle and whatever it is pulling

Toad - car pulled behind motorhome

Wallydocking - staying overnight at Wal-Mart

COE - Army Corps of Engineers. If you have a Senior Pass (best bargain in the world) you stay 1/2 price at their campgrounds. They know how to do campgrounds

Gasser vs Pusher Gas motorhome with engine up front, pusher = diesel in the rear of motorhome doing the pushing

BlueBoy - a portable tank made to take wastes from your rig to the dump station at a park that doesn't have FHU (full hookups = water, electric, and sewer).

S&B = sticks & bricks, meaning a 'normal' residence for non-RVers.

Snowbirds - those who only RV during the winter when they head south to escape the snow.

Sunbirds - those who only RV during the summer when the head north to escape the heat

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

RV Abbreviations, Acronyms & Initialisms

4X2 = 2 Wheel Drive

4X4 = 4 Wheel Drive

4WD = 4 Wheel Drive

5er = Fifth Wheel

5ver = Fifth Wheel

A/C = Air Conditioner

AC = Alternating Current as in 120VAC (sometimes mistakingly used for air conditioner)

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

AMP = Amperes

ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid

BC = Brake Controller

BLM or BOLM = Bureau Of Land Management

BTW = By The Way

CAPS = Capital Letters. Using all CAPS is considered SCREAMING

CC = Crew Cab of a TV (4 Door)

CCC = Cargo Carrying Capacity

CF = Camp Fire

CG = Camp Ground

COE = Corp of Engineers (US Army)

CRS = Can't Remember Shi... Dang CSR, I forgot the next letter

CTD = Cummins Turbo Diesel (Dodge)

CW = Camping World

D/A = Duramax/Alison (Chevrolet or GMC)

DC = Direct Current as in 12VDC

DH = Darling Hubby or Husband, Dear Hubby, Da%& Hubby, Designated Hitter (baseball)

Dinghy = See Toad

Dmax = Duramax diesel (GM)

DRW = Dual Rear Wheels

Dooley = Dual Rear Wheels

DS = Dump Station

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line

DSS = Door Side Scare "light" (see ODS)

Dually = Dual Rear Wheels

DP = Diesel Pusher as used in an MH

DW = Dear Wife, Darling Wife, Da%& Wife, Dim Wit, Dish Washer (same as Dear Wife), Darryl Waltrip (NASCAR)

EC = Extended Cab of a TV

EPDM = Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (Rubber Roofing)

ERS = Emergency Road Service

ESP = Extended Service Plan

FAQ or FAQs = Frequently Asked Questions

FHU = Full Hook Up (also see WES)

FIVER = 5th Wheel

FRF = Forest River Forums

FROG = Forest River Owners Group

FT = Full Time camper (sometimes F/T)

Furry Kids = Pets

FW = Fifth Wheel

FWIW = For What It's Worth

FYI = For Your Information

G8R = Gator

GPS = Global Positioning System or Satellite

GAWR or GAW = Gross Axle Weight Rating

GCVW or GCW = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight

GCWR = Gross Combination Weight Rating

GTWR = Gross Trailer Weight Rating

GVW or GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

GOB = Good ol' Boy

HD = Heavy Duty

HH = Happy Hour

HWH = Hot Water Heater (Why would you heat hot water?)

IBSRV = International Brotherhood/Sisterhood of RVers

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

IKR = I know right

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

IMO = In My Opinion

IP = Internet Provider

ISP = Internet Service Provider (sometimes written DISP = Da$& Internet Service Provider)

L8R = Later

L8R G8R = Later Gator

LMAO = Laughing My A__ Off

LB = Long Box or Bed of a Tow Vehicle

LOL = Laughing Out Loud2.gif , Lots Of Luck, Lots Of Love

LT = Light Truck tires(as in LT245 tires)

MBS = Mercedes Benz Sprinter Diesel Chassis and is formerly known as the Solera Class C RV

MDT = Medium Duty Truck

MIL = Mother in-law (other in-laws can be FIL, SIL, and DIL)

MOC = Montana Owners Club

MH = Motor Home

MTCW = My Two Cents Worth

NCC = Net Carrying Capacity

NPS = National Park Service

OALAEHO = Opinions Are Like A__holes, Everybody Has One

OEM = Original Equipment by the Manufacturer

OHC = Overhead Cabinet

PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection

PM = Private Message

PSD = Power Stroke Diesel (Ford}

PU = Pop Up trailer

PUGS = Pop Up Gizmos (reflective covers for tent campers)

PW = Pressure Washer

Qs = Question(s)

ODS = Opposite Door-side Scare "light" (see DSS)

OP = Original Post or Original Poster

OPD = Overfill Prevention Device (on LP gas cylinders)

RGV = Rio Grande Valley

ROTFLOL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud 1.gif

ROTFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A__ Off5.gif

RV = Recreational Vehicle

SB = Short Box or Bed of a Tow Vehicle

SCWR = Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating

SKP = Escapee

SOB = Some Other Brand (of RV)

SP = State Park

SRW = Single Rear Wheels

ST = Trailer tires (as in ST225)

TC = Truck camper

TH = Toy Tauler

TMI = Too Much Information

TOAD = A vehicle towed behind a MH

TP = Toilet Paper

Trlr = Trailer

TT = Travel Trailer

TV = Tow Vehicle and on a rare occasion TeleVision

TWR/TLR/VLR = Tongue Weight, Tongue Load, Vertical Load Rating

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number (Serial Number)

URL = Uniform Resource Locator (WWW Address)

UVW or UVWR = Unloaded Vehicle Weight Rating

WallyWorld = Wal*Mart

WD or W/D = Washer/Dryer

WD = Weight Distribution (hitch)

WD/SC = Weight Distribution (hitch) with Sway Control

WES = Water/Electric/Sewer

WH = Water Heater

Wi-Fi or WiFi = Wireless Fidelity

WWW = World Wide Web (the Internet)

X2, X3, etc = Ditto, with the number representing your agreement added to the number of times it was stated beforehand. Also used +1, +2, etc.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

YRMV = Your Results May Vary

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wow, Kirk, that's a pretty comprehensive list. I can only think of two to add:

Q = Quartzsite, Arizona. BLM land where many RVers gather in January

LTVA = Long Term Visitor Area. BLM land where you can buy a permit to stay for 2 weeks or all season with access to basic amenities.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 months later...

It's been three months since I introduced myself to the group so here is an update.

I recently purchased a 2016 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 with the factory 5th Wheel Prep Kit. I wasn't planning to get a dually but the deal was too good to pass up. Yesterday I had a LINE-X bed liner sprayed in and it looks fabulous. My next purchase will be a 5th wheel hitch and I'm trying to decide between a Curt or B&W. They both make models designed for the factory prep kit and they drop right into the bed.

Selecting a 5th Wheel is turning out to be a very challenging task and I'm not even close to making a decision yet. I really wish I knew some owners locally because I'm at my wits end when it comes to dealing with salesmen. It's quite probable I'm going to have some back surgery next month and I don't want to buy the 5er before I go under the knife, so I'm comfortable taking my time.

If anyone has purchased a B&W or Curt hitch made for the Ram 5th wheel prep kit, I'd love to hear your impressions. Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

Frank

I recently purchased a 2016 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4

Very nice! Depending on the the configuration, engine, and axle ratio you should be in good shape. It'll range between 12k-30k tow capacity (or 9.6k-24k if you choose to employ the 80% margin) so it'll be important to know your numbers for your particular rig. 2016 tow capacity.

Best wishes on the back surgery but you really "shouldn't" announce it on a public forum. You might be out camping.. get recognized.. and everyone will be, "Hey! Go get Frank... he's got a new back!" ;)

Good hunting on your new home.

Very nice! Depending on the the configuration, engine, and axle ratio you should be in good shape. It'll range between 12k-30k tow capacity (or 9.6k-24k if you choose to employ the 80% margin) so it'll be important to know your numbers for your particular rig. 2016 tow capacity.

Best wishes on the back surgery but you really "shouldn't" announce it on a public forum. You might be out camping.. get recognized.. and everyone will be, "Hey! Go get Frank... he's got a new back!" ;)

Good hunting on your new home.

Ha! I hope it feels like a new back! The back issue is a fusion that is performed with a minimally invasive surgery technique in an outpatient setting. I'll walk out the same day, hopefully pain free. The world renowned Barrow Neurological Institute is here in PHX and their surgeons are top drawer so I'm confident all will go well.

The Ram 3500 Tradesman has the 6.7 I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Aisin AS69RC HD Trans and a towing capacity just over 30K. Way more than I need, but the deal was so good I couldn't say no.

The Ram 3500 Tradesman has the 6.7 I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Aisin AS69RC HD Trans and a towing capacity just over 30K. Way more than I need, but the deal was so good I couldn't say no.

No harm there! Can't never have too much truck and I would be the last to pass up a good deal. Just to be aware... your max tow may be affected by your other max ratings. Ie., GVWR is 14k and GCWR is 39k. So if your rig is maxed at 14 you'll have to take that off the top of the 39 for 25k tow capacity -or- 20k@80%. Still plenty... and not sayin those will be your actual numbers, but just an illustration how other weight ratings might impact others. It's also never a bad idea to get an actual base weight (vs published) of your rig with full tanks and your hitch installed.

Doubt you'll find much your rig can't handle. Well played!!

Congratulations!

Some thoughts to share with you:

#1. Don't worry about your old job. They SURE don't worry about you; just make sure that HR has a good address to send the check to! Next time you check in, you won't know anyone there!

#2. Although you are retired, don't try to do it all (your Bucket List) all at once.

Our first year we volunteered in Arizona; drove through the valley in California; tried to eat our weight in naval oranges;saw Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NP, visited family in Fresno, drove through the Redwoods, saw all there was to see there; volunteered in Oregon working at a lighthouse near Bandon; saw family in Washington; crossed into Canada; determined that they don't really like Texans all that well; visited family in BC; spent three months in Alaska; volunteered in Alaska for a month; volunteered for the NPS in Montana for six weeks; almost got snowed in in Montana; spent two weeks trying to get out of the weeks; drove back to Texas AND WONDERED WHY WE WERE SO TIRED.

RELAX! Have Fun! Don't worry mon!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

I'm exhausted just reading your itinerary! It's not in my DNA to keep that kind of schedule. I like to make time lapse movies which takes time a patience. I like to play golf which take enormous patience. As long as I'm in an environment that is visually pleasing for my photography, provides an escape from the desert inferno, and has access to an occasional round of golf, I'm a happy camper.

On another subject, I'm reasonably certain that I'm going to purchase the B & W RVK3600 Companion RAM OEM 5th Wheel RV Hitch for RAM Pickup with 5th Wheel Prep Kit. Like the truck, it's overkill, but with that truck and hitch combination I'll always have enough to pull any rig I choose.

Frank

Capt., Good luck with the back. I went under the knife 2 years ago (3 fused disks) after a couple of months of pain and not being able to walk. After surgery and PT I went from a walker to a walking stick and now a cane. Still have some back pain and never recovered the complete use of both legs so long walks are out of the question. As is crawling under an RV etc.

My RV days are over. Good luck with your surgery and do the PT and other exercise as much as possible. We don't bounce back at 70+ yo. like we did when 30,

Have fun and keep us posted.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Franks,

Good luck on the surgery. I fly in in a few weeks for the prelim eval at Laser Spinal Institute. I have been threatening to get the two surgeries for several years now but had a dermatological condition on my back that has finally resolved we were all waiting for. It caused a six inch wide color change all down my back, that was yellowish. ^_^ I'm not getting any younger and need both the lumbar and a cervical vertebrae replacement. Same deal as your guys. I have spoken with a lot of their patients who had it several years ago and they are all very happy, as opposed to the local folks who have a higher rate of dissatisfaction. Good luck with yours.

I started out with a Ram 3500 but mine was a long time ago and was a 1992 long bed dually with the venerable 5.9. It went well over 650k miles and is still in use by my mechanic of several years ago who bought it. I went through a 2002 Ram ling bed with the suicide door quad cab that had 425k miles on it when I sold it, and then a Ranger because we had no Fiver for a while. NO way but it made a nice daily driver and appliance hauler. It could not haul my old 16'heavy duty dual axle 3" angle utility trailer. I then tried a Ram short bed and the Andersen hitch made it very fiver capable but dang the short beds ride rough and that one had "kid stuff" lift kit and loud exhaust etc. That was the only Ram I did not like. I just found a very nice 2004 long bed Ram with the 5.9 and under 125k miles that runs great and is like a Cadillac compared to the short bed. It had the standard Reese hitch installed and was a trade in to an RV dealer who used it to tow around the area for a year. We still have the 28.5 foot fiver but it is not getting any use. So it may be getting sold to that dealer who made an offer.

We traveled and did not do the seasonal snowbird thing with just two destinations. We had a winter RV space we built at my FIL's property here in NW Louisiana. So we were here for three months or so a year to see the kids and grandkids. We came off the road to care for our two remaining parents and are down to one having lost mom last August. FIL is declining fast now. So we may be back on the road, move, or part time for real, we will cross that road when we come to it.

We tried to act like we were in a hurry and were on vacation so we rushed and drove too long and far daily. We made appointments we were unable to keep that first year too. Then we learned our 2X2X2 rule and would make a fuel stop and stay a week if we found something interesting. But at least two nights. One to relax from the day's driving, the next day to explore that area, and then a good night's sleep for the next day of travel. If we got tired we stayed for a month at Military famcamps down here in the lower 48, in Canada Provincial Parks, and in Alaska. The Anchorage and Seward Military Famcamps are excellent. The one at Eilsen AFB (Fairbanks) was built after we were there and sounds very nice.

We did a week at the Grand Canyon, at Denali, panning for gold and seeing the sights in Fairbanks and fishing the salmon runs in Soldotna on the Kenai, Seward, and Halibut/ling cod and snapper at Seward and Valdez, as well as the silver salmon runs there. But we hiked the glaciers and sat in the hot springs and visited museums and destinations like the Great Salt Lake and the wooden ships festival. We loved little towns like Chanute Kansas where the HitchHiker factory is was, as back at the turn of the century it was like stepping into Mayberry RFD. We really liked the Washington peninsula and the Astoria are basing at Warrenton's joint reserve base. Rainforests, Lewis and Clark, forts and lighthouses galore. As nice as Northern California but without the throngs back then. The Escapees CoOp at Chimicum was a nice quiet place to explore from as was Park Sierra for Yosemite. We followed our noses. Looks like you will too. I look forward to seeing your posts as you go.

If we ever got another bigger fiver I would trade or sell the 2500 we now have as the road stability with a dually is phenomenal. I only recently had the 2500s to compare. Even with a lighter trailer towing is noticeable. With the dually I forgot it was back there, even in wind and traffic. We Rhino lined every truck we've had and this last one was already Rhino'd. That also quiets down the bed noise a bunch. I did forget how long the long bed is. and am back to using back of the lot spaces with it again. It can park closer, but the door bangers I cannot ignore, so it does my attitude better to walk a bit.

You will only appreciate how good the decision to get a dually was, if you try out pulling a rig with a SRW 2500. Keeping the tires on pressure can be a PITA whatever the solution. But well worth it.

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Congrats on the new truck. Sounds like you are setting yourself up to be able to tow a heavy weight. Have you considered an air hitch like the Trailer Saver? It makes a world of difference in the trailer's and your ride. If you have not already purchased your hitch, take a bit and look over the air ride options.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I retired and my wife and I took off full time in a truck camper. We did photography daily for 2 years. I mean avid photography. If you are serious about photography plan on LOTS of travel. You want to explore and photograph some of the country's special places. You also want to be there at the right time. It sounds like you are determined to buy something very large. Just remember you will either settle down and not move or you need to deal with that monster rig every single day. Be sure to get a decent battery bank and plenty of solar. You want to be out in nature, not stuck in an RV park.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. I just retired early (55) after 30 years with an aerospace company. While I very much enjoyed my career, the transition has been quite easy thus far... as if that was another life. We relocated to Montana and have been busy with home sell and home buys... so perhaps that, along with lots of fishing days, has simply kept the "cabin fever" from setting in. We plan to snowbird this winter and visit friends who have been doing that for many years. We have a truck camper, but have yet to purchase the RV for this chapter in life... and it's not been an easy decision.

The forum has been a great source of information over the past few years as we've been doing our research; several folks in particular are like having the encyclopedia RV at your disposal :lol:. We're now pretty sure a TT is what will work best for us and are seriously in the market looking for the right one. One of my best (older) friends keeps reminding me of the retired persons creed; "keep active and moving or start rusting". Good luck with your decision/search!

Archived