Colorado hwy

Dick 641

We are going to Moab Ut. in May an coming back in late May want to take 191 south from Moab to 491 to 160 then east to Walsenburg. Looks ok but wondering about hwy 10 from Walsenburg to La Junta then hitting hwy 50, driving a 3500 gmc dully diesel pulling a 40' toy hauler. also we plan on stopping at Mesa Verde looking for any other must see sites along the way any info much appreciated.

Hwy 10 from Walsenburg to La Junta is flat. :)

160 to Walsenburg is a nice drive but you'll have Wolf Creek Pass to go up out of Pagosa Springs and a downhill into South Fork. It's very doable and many RVers do it as we have done many times with our 40' motorhome. Eastbound is 8 miles of 6% mostly 3 lanes. Only you know your equipment and if you're comfortable with the pull - go for it.

That's the best way from Mesa Verde. You could also take 145 north out of Cortez up to Telluride and again, you'll have an uphill and a downhill at Lizard Head Pass of 5-6% for approx.10 miles to Placerville. From Placerville you'll have Dallas Divide at 6% for 6 miles into Ridgeway. From there you'd take Hwy 550 to Montrose then east on Hwy 50. You'll have Monarch Pass about 17 miles west of Poncha Springs. You'll have an uphill then 6% for 10 miles downhill. Easy sailing from then on...you've crossed the mountains.

All of these are great drives - very scenic. We don't feel they're difficult. Just downshift early at the top. Don't wait until you get going downhill.

Have a good trip!

I agree, that's a good route plan. Hwy 160 is good road all the way. The one exciting area is climbing & descending Wolf Creek Pass. You will also pass through many small towns along the way. Many of those small town police depts use speed traps where the 65 mph drops down to 40 or 30 through town.

as far as 10 out of Walsenburg, its 2 lanes with grass shoulders and all flat through ranching country. The only worry here is any stray cows that got outside the fenced pasture.

Depending on what you carry in that toy hauler, you're going through some of the best ATV areas in the country along that route.

I'm reading from the 'Mountain Directory for RVers and Truckers' (a good purchase, by the way):

The southbound descent from Cucharas Pass (EL 9941') Downhills of 6-7% then 10% then 6%, then 6-10%, then 4-6% - short and steep sections.

It looks like it would be scenic but we've never driven it. 350 is another easy flat drive.

I've only been up hwy 12 from the hwy 160 side, to near its high point. We go up to run some ATV trails in the Blue Lakes area off NFS road 422. But we go back down the same side back to hwy 160.

It doesn't look like 12 will save you any time or miles getting to 350 vs I-25, but it might be an interesting drive if you like steep & twisty.

Dick 641, on 29 Apr 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Wheres the best place to get that mountain directory?

If you want the paper book, you can get it from several different online sources, including at the Mountain Directory website, to which 2gypsies gave the link.

The Mountain Directory is also available as an app for both iPhones/iPads and android phones/tablets, or as an ebook for Windows computers. These can be purchased only at the Mountain Directory website.

• 2 weeks later...

We've done 12 from La Veta all the way to Trinidad. Best I can remember is that there are some good pulls and steep declines. But the road itself is fine. From La Veta it's a very pretty drive. It does get up to a ski area so that will give you an idea of the climb! Traffic is light.

regards

Archived