Sanitizing the water tank

aunut

11 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I don't entirely agree with what Barb said, but mostly I do. If your water hose to the hydrant has a long length of it that is exposed to the sun that can degrade the chemicals in the municipal water supply to a point where algae can grow in some cases. Even if you get all of your water from RV parks, there are a significant number of them whose water comes from wells and even though the water is safe and has been tested, it probably has no lasting chemical agents in the water that you put into your RV system. In more rural areas, well water is very common.

On the water heater, there are forms of algae that only grow in hot water and algae is the most common cause of bad smelling hot water.  Any time that your water is exposed to air, it will also be exposed to algae spores.  

I use a food grade RV hose to fill the tank and keep it inside. I generally don't go to RV parks, I boondock. But I did test the water at one park I visited at the fairgrounds in Chillicothe Ohio. It was pretty filthy.

Archived