Reno to Yosemite

ChuckD

The first part of May we are going to a dance festival in Reno and are thinking of swinging down to Yosemite around the tenth, According to Mapquest it is only 210 miles but it looks like an interesting drive, curve and hilly wise. Anyone done this before? Any advice? :)

US-395 to Lee Vining, is a pretty drive and IF the pass is open on SR-120 going to Yosemite, you could go that way. First be sure the pass is open check here to see if it is open. The road from Lee Vining to the pass and on into Yosemite is a good wide 2 lane highway, but it is pretty steep, about 7%-8% I think.

If in the Reno area try to make a side trip to Tahoe, it is a great place to visit (and live, as I had the wonderful opportunity to for a year). There are several RV parks you can stay at if you want to take the rig up there and spend a few days. Zephyr Cove Campground is nice and the closest one to the water IIRC. The drive down 395 is much better than going to the Eastern Sierras in CA, but the snow has been good this year, so Tioga Pass may not open for a while. But if it does open, I would go this route every day of the week. You can also visit Bodie (ghost town), and Mono Lake along the way (dispersed camping allowed at Mono Lake as well). If you go further, you could visit Mammoth Lakes and soak in a bunch of hotsprings. Also, I recommend visiting the Mobil Station in Lee Vining at the intersection of Tioga Pass Rd, the fish tacos are really good there.

As for the Eastern Sierra side, I've towed up and down CA-120 a few times to Yosemite, the only tough part I can remember is the steep section up to Groveland. If you are not pulling the rig, take the Old Priest Grade, that one is a butt clencher! Here's a video of some crazy guys riding it on Freebords. The road you would take with the rig is on the right in the video .

Holly smokes, what a ride!! I was stuck on a hill like that on a bike that I lost the brakes and decided to ride it out, Another WOW, but I guess I have to remember that was 55 years ago when I was also young and dumb.

Archived