Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Highway Questions

itsgonnahappen

Anyone have a good idea how best to view the entire Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Highway? We have a 36' Alpenlite 5th Wheel pulled by a Chevy Silverado 4x4 and want to spend time going to each of the stops. However, we are unclear as to what is the best way to go - where to start from? clockwise or counterclockwise? Our biggest concern is where to camp/boondock along the way since it will take a number of days to get through the whole trip. Any suggestions? - Michael and Diane Babayco

I don't think it makes any difference where you start or which direction you go.

According to the America's Byways website, their directions start at Grand Junction, CO and heads west. However, it also says you can go either direction:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/byways/2474/directions

We've been on portions of this loop, but haven't ever done the entire loop.

We've drive the highways in LindaH's link one time or another but never knew it was called 'Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Highway'. We drove the highways just because or to get from one destination to another. We never drove it as a loop. I can't see why it would make a difference taking off in different directions. As I recall, the only dinosaur area was Dinosaur Nat'l Monument at Vernal, UT which was a good informative stop. The highways are all good for an RV. For campgrounds you could use RVParkReviews.com. Pick a town you want to stop and check out what's in or near that town.

Archived