Vt Rte 9 Bennington to Brattleboro

SWharton

This is really not a bad drive only 2 spots where you have a climb one at Prospect Mt and the other near the old ski area called Hogback Mt but the view there is great. I would use the bypass around Bennington and just be careful going thru Wilmington as it narrows and stay back at the red light there. This is the way I go when skiing and only worry if the weather is bad.

I have been thru there many times and use to vacation at a cousins lake camp just outside Prospect Mt. area. It is called Woodford. The climb up Prospect is long but very good road when I was there last in 2011. There is a nice campground about three miles from the ski resort. Real nice people there. Spend some time in Bennigton if you get the chance. A really nice old town with some great Revolutionary War history.

I am not so much worried about the climb but the descent into Wilmington. Book says steep descent for 2 miles 7-8% with one section at 10%, 25 mph curves and a narrow bridge. This sounds scary...................I guess more about having to slow down to 25mph(or less) for the curves..............

I have never did this drive towing but myself it would not bother me, I know they do have run off ramps but in the winter not much use. Take your time and plan ahead the road is much nicer now but yes with curves but you should be fine.

Archived