RV Parks in North West Washington

maggie blair

I will be traveling to North West Washington in July, August and September. Does anyone have any recommendations on long term parks up in that area? Has anyone stayed at Evergreen in Chimacum? I am looking for a park with reasonable rates, pet friendly, clean and full hook-ups. My son lives in Seattle so I will travel there on weekends to visit. I am doing my research but it's nice to hear first hand what other people recommend. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

Maggie Blair

As you have probably figured out, very few parks in the Seattle area, and finding one for monthly stays for just the summer is probably zero. Chimacum is nice, but it is at least 2 hours from Seattle by ferry. Do you have a car to use to visit your son? Where in Seattle does he live?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Chimacum is where we stay. You can easily take a ferry to the Aquarium area of Seattle and drive to your son's from there to spend the weekend. You can now make a reservation for Chimacum SKP park but I'd do it now. It's very popular in the summer. It's a lot more pleasant than driving all the way around for 2+ hours.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We also have stayed at Evergreen-Coho on several occasions and we always enjoyed it. We found the people to be very friendly and if you participate in the park activities you easily get included in the community for those who spend some time there. But summer is also the time when fewest sites are in the rental pool, so I'd suggest that you contact them soon to see about arrangements for such a long stay. We spent 6 weeks on one occasion and 3 or more weeks several other times. We would go back again in the future.

The other parks that we have stayed in when in that area were probably not good choices for multi month stays.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As you have probably figured out, very few parks in the Seattle area, and finding one for monthly stays for just the summer is probably zero. Chimacum is nice, but it is at least 2 hours from Seattle by ferry. Do you have a car to use to visit your son? Where in Seattle does he live?

Do you know how much it would cost to take my RV and car on the ferry? My son lives near the Space needle.

Maggie Blair

We also have stayed at Evergreen-Coho on several occasions and we always enjoyed it. We found the people to be very friendly and if you participate in the park activities you easily get included in the community for those who spend some time there. But summer is also the time when fewest sites are in the rental pool, so I'd suggest that you contact them soon to see about arrangements for such a long stay. We spent 6 weeks on one occasion and 3 or more weeks several other times. We would go back again in the future.

The other parks that we have stayed in when in that area were probably not good choices for multi month stays.

Thanks Kirk! I will have to see how much it would cost to take the RV and car on the ferry.

Maggie Blair

Chimacum is where we stay. You can easily take a ferry to the Aquarium area of Seattle and drive to your son's from there to spend the weekend. You can now make a reservation for Chimacum SKP park but I'd do it now. It's very popular in the summer. It's a lot more pleasant than driving all the way around for 2+ hours.

Thanks for the info. :)

Maggie Blair

Up to a 40' combination is $50 to $60 one way, depending on the route.

Here is a link for the Kingston to Edmonds ferry with rates for different vehicle lengths. Other terminals as similar.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/fares/FaresDetail.aspx?tripdate=20160423&departingterm=12&arrivingterm=8

The Port Townsend to Coupeville (and back) route takes reservations which are recommended.

Best bet is to drive to the terminal on the west side of Puget Sound and walk onto the ferry. There is no charge east bound and only about $4 westbound (you got to pay to get out of Seattle :mellow: ).

Evergreen Coho is about filled up, so I would recommend calling Monday morning after 9 am to check on availability.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

Your other option is Kittitas County, just east on I-90. It is a short shot to Seattle. There are some FS campgrounds just off the freeway, but not sure what size rig they would take. Also Kittitas County gets swamped on weekends from people escaping Seattle, but you might be able to find a site. There are a few FS campgrounds before the pass on the Mt.Baker/Snoqualmie National Forest.

A long time ago, I had a multi-day business meeting at Snoqualmie Pass and it was about a 45 minute drive to downtown Seattle without traffic to the Kingdome.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I will have to see how much it would cost to take the RV and car on the ferry.

If it were me, I'd take the RV to Chimacum via the Tacoma Narrows bridge, rather than the ferry. There are times when it is difficult to impossible to put the RV on the ferries due to the very wide range in tides. In addition, the cost for an RV of 30' or more is $43.65, one way. We never use the ferry to take the RV but frequently do so on foot or by car to visit Seattle from Chimacum. On the other hand to ride as a passenger for a senior is only $4.05, round trip and with a car it is $22.50 also round trip. We usually do not take the car but use the city bus system to get around in Seattle. WA state ferry fee schedule, Bainbridge to Seattle.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you don't need your car while visiting your son you could take the Bainbridge ferry to the Seattle waterfront. It's close to Pikes Place Market. Nearby you can get on the monorail that will take you to the Space Needle in a few minutes - a fun ride. From there you could walk to your son's or if too far perhaps have them pick you up. Or from the ferry take public transportation or even a cab to your son's. To me, this would be the best way for your visit.

Oops, I just re-read your original post and you mention that you have a pet. I don't know the restriction on taking a pet on the ferry so you better check that out.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

If you don't need your car while visiting your son you could take the Bainbridge ferry to the Seattle waterfront. It's close to Pikes Place Market. Nearby you can get on the monorail that will take you to the Space Needle in a few minutes - a fun ride. From there you could walk to your son's or if too far perhaps have them pick you up. Or from the ferry take public transportation or even a cab to your son's. To me, this would be the best way for your visit.

Oops, I just re-read your original post and you mention that you have a pet. I don't know the restriction on taking a pet on the ferry so you better check that out.

Pets are ok on the car or sun decks (outside) or in a kennel inside.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

Up to a 40' combination is $50 to $60 one way, depending on the route.

Here is a link for the Kingston to Edmonds ferry with rates for different vehicle lengths. Other terminals as similar.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/fares/FaresDetail.aspx?tripdate=20160423&departingterm=12&arrivingterm=8

The Port Townsend to Coupeville (and back) route takes reservations which are recommended.

Best bet is to drive to the terminal on the west side of Puget Sound and walk onto the ferry. There is no charge east bound and only about $4 westbound (you got to pay to get out of Seattle :mellow: ).

Evergreen Coho is about filled up, so I would recommend calling Monday morning after 9 am to check on availability.

Oh thanks so much for the info. I am not familiar with the area so this is great info. Thanks again! :)

Maggie Blair

If you take your rig to the Space Needle area for a weekend where are you going to park it? Is it a MH without a toad? Do you need to have your rig in Seattle? The narrows is the way to go for sure.

Just food for thought.

If you can't secure a spot check out Craigs list as well. People own large lots in that part of Washington and some rent out their property with full hook ups. Lots of small lakes with RV hook ups.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Also go the www.rvparkreviews.com website to find RV Parks to stay at. Read the reviews for any parks in the area you want to stay at. Also almost all the RV Parks listed in RvParkReviews have links to the RV Park's website which is very helpful.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

If it were me, I'd take the RV to Chimacum via the Tacoma Narrows bridge, rather than the ferry. There are times when it is difficult to impossible to put the RV on the ferries due to the very wide range in tides. In addition, the cost for an RV of 30' or more is $43.65, one way. We never use the ferry to take the RV but frequently do so on foot or by car to visit Seattle from Chimacum. On the other hand to ride as a passenger for a senior is only $4.05, round trip and with a car it is $22.50 also round trip. We usually do not take the car but use the city bus system to get around in Seattle. WA state ferry fee schedule, Bainbridge to Seattle.

As I would expect... perfect advice! :)

Maggie Blair

Also go the www.rvparkreviews.com website to find RV Parks to stay at. Read the reviews for any parks in the area you want to stay at. Also almost all the RV Parks listed in RvParkReviews have links to the RV Park's website which is very helpful.

Yes, I love this site and thanks for sharing. You are all wonderful to share your knowledge with newbies like myself. :)

Maggie Blair

If you take your rig to the Space Needle area for a weekend where are you going to park it? Is it a MH without a toad? Do you need to have your rig in Seattle? The narrows is the way to go for sure.

Just food for thought.

If you can't secure a spot check out Craigs list as well. People own large lots in that part of Washington and some rent out their property with full hook ups. Lots of small lakes with RV hook ups.

James

I won't be taking my rig to Seattle. That place is a nightmare for me in a car and I cannot even imagine driving my RV there. YIKES! I have a toad too. :)

Maggie Blair

I have walked to and from the Seattle waterfront to my son's by the Space Needle with my girls in their stroller. It was quite a jaunt, but we made it. :)

Maggie Blair

The city of Seattle is working hard on becoming more friendly to RV campers.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/theres-no-freedom-not-all-homeless-living-in-vehicles-welcome-citys-safe-lots/

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-to-open-parking-areas-for-homeless-in-ballard-delridge/

If you liked the "Slabs" you will love Seattle.

I suppose many of us are "technically" homeless.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Your other option is Kittitas County, just east on I-90. It is a short shot to Seattle. There are some FS campgrounds just off the freeway, but not sure what size rig they would take. Also Kittitas County gets swamped on weekends from people escaping Seattle, but you might be able to find a site. There are a few FS campgrounds before the pass on the Mt.Baker/Snoqualmie National Forest.

A long time ago, I had a multi-day business meeting at Snoqualmie Pass and it was about a 45 minute drive to downtown Seattle without traffic to the Kingdome.

Thanks so much! The more options I have the better my chances. :)

Maggie Blair

• 2 weeks later...

The other parks that we have stayed in when in that area were probably not good choices for multi month stays.[/quote. I contacted them a few weeks ago. They fill up early for month long stays and no availability this summer. :(

Maggie Blair

Archived