Is a truck with a super 10 speed, a white elephant ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am asking the question about trucks with super 10 speed transmissions. Are they a white elephant ? Do people want to buy an older truck with a super 10. Driving home from the '16 ECR, I was thinking that I might need to sell my truck and go with a truck with an I-shift transmission. It all has to do with the clutch. I am getting older and my leg does not like pushing in the clutch.

I am testing the waters for selling my truck and go with a truck with an I-shift.

Looking for opinions,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I'm 60 and work construction. Rough on knees. They bother me right much now. Especially my left knee. That is why I bought a 2 pedal. Also DW will drive it. That 10 speed has it advantages though. You can start in any gear you want to. But if it hurts to push clutch it has to go.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The super ten is not nearly as popular as the typical Road Ranger 10 speed in the regular truck market. And since this demographic doesn't seem to like pure manuals at all selling a truck with the least popular transmission on the market is going to affect the price. Hopefully you bought it cheap enough that in the end it really doesn't matter.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

That clutch thingy is highly overrated ....so I just float the old STD 10 speed... Stop lights no problem, just got to nutrl and then clutch brake to 2nd or 3rd or 7th if I forget to flip the range lever down.....(wake up and drive).

Was considering a autoshift for the wife but one of her cowgirl friends just got her 2,000,000 mile accident free pin from a major grocery chain and she drives a full size refer all over with a 18 speed...she took a drive in the Dollytrolley with the wife and declared the 10 speed with our light weights "sporty".....

Drive on......(Where was that ....clutch?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Like Jeff said, some will buy it, if priced right. Many "real" truckers do not like the Super 10. I happen to like it for RV use. It is a little different but pretty easy to learn. Personally, if I were to go with a manual it would probably be a 13 speed....but that is just me. And I'm NOT going with a manual :) I seriously doubt I could even drive one after all these years.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I must admit it was difficult to find a 2 pedal like I wanted. Choosing a 10 speed would have been easy. My left knee hurts to go up stairs. It hurts to climb, etc. I don't want to hurt driving my truck. Now if I was younger and good knees it would be different. It is a personal choice. DW knees are worse than mine. She retired early due to this.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I went from a standard 10 to a super 10 couple of years ago. Price was fine. As Jack said some real truckers are not a fan. These transmission are not rated for high horse power and torque. In fact neither Kenworth or Cat would consider running the motor to more than 475 hp when I talked to them. With that said in RV use I like it much better than my roadranger 10 speed. There are 2 gears in every hole and especially on steep hills dropping out of top gear to 9th or in stop and go traffic it is usually nothing more than the flip of a switch. I usually start in 4 and move the stick 3 times. It really is easy to drive. I think resale wise the auto shift type trucks will be easier to move but with the popularity growing with these big beast, that every truck will find a home and be the right fit for someone. This is a unique market and although there are some very quick sells that does not seem to be the norm.

After double knee replacement, I can say that I really appreciate the i-shift. I have a lot of time in other model manual trucks and I don't think I could comfortably drive one anymore. With that being said, to get an i-shift truck it would have to be an '08 or newer and that gets you a whole new set of possible concerns (emission related items) but I wouldn't go back.

If I was to do it again...(and probably will in a few years) we would go with an I-shift or 2 pedal setup.

I do like driving the 10sp though. Ours is an old Rockwell 10 sp that has its good days and days that it owns you... some days it floats as smooth as silk up and down, others you can't finded a gear to save yourself.

If someone offered us what we have invested in the truck we'd probably take it and call Gregg.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I like the Super 10, never touch the clutch when I'm not moving. I have spent 20-30 minutes in stop and go traffic without touching the clutch or the brake, just floating between 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. In city traffic if I am coming up to a red light I just start coming down through the gears and quite often the traffic is moving again before I need to actually stop.

Not worried about resale as I don't plan on wearing this one out anytime soon!

If for some reason I had to replace the truck I would be happy to go with another Suer 10. To each his own.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

• 2 weeks later...

My past HDT had a Super Ten transmission..

Loved it, and for most of our lighter hauling loads works exceptionally well.

IMHO no real difference from an automatic with a clutch, as I floated all the gears both up and down using the clutch only to start and stop.

Truckers don't like them, and I totally understand why not, but again, for RV hauling, it doesn't get much better for me anyway.

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

I agree with the others. Lots of people like the super 10. Is it the standard or the Lightening super 10 top 2? I know we have been looking at a few trucks. All had the super 10. One reason I like them, only shift 4 times. Rest is more like the top of a 13 shift split and split to drop a gear. Best of both worlds..

Only issue with a Super 10, find out how the driver was using it. If he tells you yes I kick it in neutral and let it coast. Run fast do not buy that one. As most times if a driver has been using Georgia OD. That trans is going to be looking at a rebuild.

Pete

event.png

Al I can't really compare because the Super 10 is the only transmission that I have used. I've had our 610 for 5 years and it's close to a automatic. I start in 3rd gear(towing 43' Mesa Ridge 16k) and only clutch to get it rolling. Then it's button and physical shift 3 times. I like it and if I had problems I'd just pickup a used one and put it back in. Lot cheaper than a rebuild. How much would it cost to rebuild a auto or could you find a used one? But the bottom line is what do you want? As far as resell I think a Supper 10 is easier to learn to drive with if you can remember to keep that left foot on the floor! So now you've got my 2 cents and it only cost a couple of minutes to read. Have a safe day. Pat

The Old Sailor

Hi Everyone,

I have read the different comments. I am encouraged that my truck can work for someone else. The truck could make someone a good starter truck. I started the post to test the waters for a possible sale of my truck. The reason that I would be selling my truck is because I would like to move to a truck with an I-shift transmission. I am actively looking for that cream puff. Once I find the truck that could work for me I will write up a description with pictures and post it in the for sale section of the forum. I could sell the truck ahead of time before I find another truck is someone is interested. Someone can always send me a e-mail asking questions about the truck. The truck is a 1998 VNL 420 with a Cummins N 14 engine and a Super 10 speed. I can also put my Polaris RZR on the deck of the truck. The truck is registered as a motorhome in Ohio.

Al

Only issue with a Super 10, find out how the driver was using it. If he tells you yes I kick it in neutral and let it coast. Run fast do not buy that one. As most times if a driver has been using Georgia OD. That trans is going to be looking at a rebuild.

Pete

Can you explain that a little more? I'm not following how putting the trans into Neutral and letting it coast would damage it?, but interested..

Rich Q, AKA "Quin the Eskimo" Window-shopping hopefully for not much longer!

Can you explain that a little more? I'm not following how putting the trans into Neutral and letting it coast would damage it?, but interested..

With the trans in neutral, the oil pump doesn't pump causing premature wear on the gears, shafts, bearings, etc.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Alan, Sean and Carolyn may be interested. Maybe Suite Success can chime in here and let you know how to contact them. They were to the ECR with there travel trailer and were parked to the left of you on the hill. Let me know if I can do anything further for you.

Miss Judy say's HI !!

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Denver,

I gathered contact information for the rally but vowed not to release it without an ok from the "owner". If the Mullens express an interest and give permission, I will be happy to forward info. On next year's registration I'll try to remember to put a check box for those that are willing to share an email address.

(BTW Jim, L.D. gave permission).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Denver,

I gathered contact information for the rally but vowed not to release it without an ok from the "owner". If the Mullens express an interest and give permission, I will be happy to forward info. On next year's registration I'll try to remember to put a check box for those that are willing to share an email address.

(BTW Jim, L.D. gave permission).

Hi Guys,

I thank you both for help. I agree with Carl about the e-mail. I do not want to act like I am sending out spam. Hopefully Sean and Carolyn will see this post. I do not know if they looked at my truck or not at the rally.

Al

PS; Denver tell Miss Judy, Hi back.

Carl and Alan, Sorry , I didn't mean anything, just trying to help Al if I could.

That's a real good idea. I agree with the spam. We all get to much of it anyhow.

Carl ,

Please tell Miss Donna Thank you again for the liver and onions. That was really good. !!

See you all next year !

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Carl and Alan, Sorry , I didn't mean anything, just trying to help Al if I could.

That's a real good idea. I agree with the spam. We all get to much of it anyhow.

Carl ,

Please tell Miss Donna Thank you again for the liver and onions. That was really good. !!

See you all next year !

Hi Denver,

I wouldn't worry about it. We all know that you are more than willing to help someone out. I saw it as help to a friend. I want to respect someone's privacy about their e-mail. If you see a good looking truck with an I-shift, please let me know.

Thank you again for your willing to help,

Al

Archived