Surge guard 44260

ChuckD

I just got a new Surge Guard 44260. My old one of ten years I think just gave up the goats. Or so I thought. I did research on this forum before I submitted this thread and maybe I could have saved it but It has been trashed so. Any way, had no problem with what I had so I went to the store to get another and was told by the helpful clerk that this was just as good as the one that was currently out of stock. And quite a bit less expensive. After I got home I eyeballed it good and it just isn't the same. It has LEDS showing power on, Open neutral and ground, and reverse polarity . Of course no lights for no power. Another light away from the others show Surge protection on. I ask what the protection was and was told it was 2100 joules. It just is not the same and is a lot smaller than my old Surge Guard.

I have 30 days to return it but I would like to know if I did make a mistake. I have a plug in meter inside the coach that show the same as this and that is the reason I am asking for information. Inside is after it has been plugged in so

You advise is requested.

2005 Jayco Greyhawk 30 ft
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Blog: www.RVtravelsofPauline.blogspot.com

That model is the lowest tier entry level offered in the Surge Guard line.

If committed to Surge Guard opt for the Surge Guard 34830 @ $249.60 from Amazon.

BUT

For my money I'd kick in $10.00 less & get a Progressive Industries HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired Electrical Management System with Remote Display @ $239.99 from Amazon.

Surge Guard 34830 Features

Protects RV from faulty park power
    Built-in intelligence
    Automatic reset on power restoration
    Shuts off power when the following is present:
        NEW! Open Ground
        Open neutral
        Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
    NEW! Thermal protection against plug and receptacle overheating (Patent Pending)
    LCD display (English)
    Multi-mode surge suppression
    128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor
    Continuously monitors and indicates:
        NEW! Surge Failure
        Voltage and amp draw (RMS)
        Reverse polarity (miswired pedestal, elevated ground voltage)
    2450 Joules of power surge protection
    Convenient plug disconnect handles
    Weather resistant

Progressive Industries HW30C Features
· Lifetime Warranty
· High & Low Voltage Protection
  (Low <104, High 132>)
· Lost/Open Neutral Protection
· Frequency Protection
  (Low <51Hz, High 69Hz>)
· Integrated Digital Readout
· Open Ground Protection
· Polarity Protection
· Previous Error Indication
· Remote Digital Display 
 · Built-in adjustable time delay
  for A/C compressor
· Voltage Meter
· Frequency Meter
· Built-in: Surge Fault Indication
  and Amperage Meter
· Thermally Protected
· Remote digital readout (includes
  14' data cable)
· Surge Protection | 3-mode / 1,790J / 44,000A
· Product proudly made in the USA

The PI gives up a bit of surge protection in Joules but keeps more park electrical issues from even touching the RV's systems.

Not a PI rep just a very satisfied customer.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

X2 on Progressive Industries. If it will not electricity flow into the RV there is something wrong at the pedestal. They have superb customer support as well. I once thought I had a problem with the EMS, called them, they walked me through troubleshooting, and sure enough it was a problem with the pedestal. I let the park know and the issue was fixed within the hour.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I like the hardwired solutions with remote display. I have the SurgeGuard 40250 but that Progressive unit looks good too (and is a bit cheaper).

I know for a fact that I hooked my 30A up to 220V at least once and that the only thing that saved me was the Surge Guard. It only takes one incident like that to pay back the investment, let alone the hassle.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

I have 30 days to return it but I would like to know if I did make a mistake. I have a plug in meter inside the coach that show the same as this and that is the reason I am asking for information. Inside is after it has been plugged in so

You advise is requested.

What you purchased is a good product, if what you were seeking is surge protection, but it does not have under or over voltage protection.

• Identifies faulty park power plus offers 2100 Joules of surge protection.
  • Analyzes circuits to verify pedestal power.
  • Indicators illuminate to show power status.
  • Tests for and indicates:
    • Open ground
    • Open neutral
    • Correct polarity

It is a very legitimate product which sells at Camping World and other retailers for $120 and does give protection from lightning effects and from some electrical wiring problems to those who are unwilling to pay the cost of the more complete protection from the Model 44260.

34730lcd-useage.jpg

easy-t-pull-ad_140px-round.jpg

• Protects RV from faulty park power
  • Built-in intelligence
  • Automatic reset on power restoration
  • Shuts off power when the following is present:
    • NEW! Open Ground
    • Open neutral
    • Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
  • NEW! Thermal protection against plug and receptacle overheating (Patent Pending)
  • LCD display (English)
  • Multi-mode surge suppression
  • 128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor
  • Continuously monitors and indicates:
    • NEW! Surge Failure
    • Voltage and amp draw (RMS)
    • Reverse polarity (miswired pedestal, elevated ground voltage)
  • 2450 Joules of power surge protection
  • Convenient plug disconnect handles
  • Weather resistan

This one sells at Camping World and numerous other retail stores for $260 and it does all of the things which any such equipment does for you and falls into a very similar price range. I suspect that what you really wanted is the 44260.

As to the old argument over what is better, the Surge Guard line from TRC Inc. or the products from Progressive, I'm not the expert here but I did spend 40 years in electrical field service and did install and repair a lot of equipment with various types of electric power protection and have also been an RV user for nearly that long. I never worried about such products in our early days but the RV of today has far more sensitive electronic equipment to worry about and so I have become an ardent user & supporter of such products. Based upon my limited knowledge and an extensive study of both products discussed in this thread, I have chosen to use the Surge Gurad 44260 and have been using their products now since 2003. It is difficult to prove what they may have prevented, but based upon what experience and knowledge that I do have, I consider the two major brands to be of pretty much equal quality and reliability, but that is only a personal opinion based upon my experience, background and electrical education.

To answer your question, it just depends upon how much protection you are looking for, versus the price that you are willing to pay. I use and recommend the higher level of protection, even at the higher cost and I choose the Surge Guard 44260 over the similar product from Progressive for a number of relatively minor design reasons and because I bought my Surge Guard from a prior user with only months of use and for about 1/2 of what it originally sold for. I would suspect that what you had previously was the 34730, which is what I have used for years but has now been discontinued. I suggest that you move to the new 44260 if want the same level of protection as your previous one provided. I will post a picture below, first of what I believe that you now have, next the 44260.

556464_thumbnail.jpg552569_thumbnail.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, the yellow one is the one I have and it is the 44260. I think the other is the 34830.

For some of the other answers on the hard wired options. I have seen at least two of the portable protectors that were hit with lighting or very high voltage and more or less exploded. This is what I would rather have outside of the coach and on the post. May be a little more hassle but I also like to look at the LEDs and see what is happening. Out of sight, out of mind.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Kirk, the yellow one is the one I have and it is the 44260. I think the other is the 34830.

Yes, your are right. I got to typing in numbers and lost count of where I was...... :wub: If it were me, I'd go with the 34830 to get the same level or better protection as you had previously. What you have there now is only a little better than a simple surge protector.

I believe the Progressive Industries units have a Lifetime Warranty Surge Guard only has a One Year Warranty. I believe this speaks for itself.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

As to the old argument over what is better, the Surge Guard line from TRC Inc. or the products from Progressive, I'm not the expert here but I did spend 40 years in electrical field service and did install and repair a lot of equipment with various types of electric power protection and have also been an RV user for nearly that long.................
Based upon my limited knowledge and an extensive study of both products discussed in this thread, I have chosen to use the Surge Guard 34830 and have been using their products now since 2003.

... I'm not the expert and will never profess to be. :)

Product loyalty is a great thing and most of us tend to stay with whatever we choose first and as long as it works we stay with it and recommend it. A lifetime warranty does not mean the life of the owner, only the usual life of that product, whatever the manufacturer deems that to be.

I believe the Progressive Industries units have a Lifetime Warranty Surge Guard only has a One Year Warranty. I believe this speaks for itself.

It's good marketing, for sure. I'm not aware of a rash of failures of the Surge Guard units after one year of age, heck mine is 10 years old and still does it's job every day. The bigger issue is whether you trust it to protect your investment in systems in your RV. A warranty is only going to replace the failed unit, not the systems it failed to protect - and only if it failed due to a manufacturers defect.

If you like the PII products you should definitely buy them - their business is only a few miles from my house here in North Carolina. If I had to buy another I would probably give them a try just because they are a local business.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I got the

Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System. Like I said I like the protection out side the coach. Couple of reasons. First I like to keep jobs in the USA. May not mean it is build better but it is built here. Next, I hope I never need the lifetime warranty but it is there.

Thanks for all the advise. Great bunch of people, a very special kind of people.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Hope so. Just last night when we stopped we began getting L-1 voltage of 180 and 39 hz, L-2 voltage of 104 and 43 hz. Tried a number of other pedestals and got same readings. This was county park so we left and went to a commercial park. Same readings. We talked to another RV with a PI and he was fine. Said he stays at this park frequently and never has any problems.

All that was finally followed by E-10 Replace Surge Protector Module. I'll be contacting PI today. In the meantime I am running naked. That scares me. And just the image of me running naked should scare all of you!

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Archived