Property Liability Insurance

Flying Finn

For those of you that full-time RV, do not own a home but do own an RV site, how do you insure against liability when you are off site? Full timers coverage with National Interstate only covers when the RV is on the property.

Looking for ideas to fill the gap.

Thanks

Brad

Do you have full-timers insurance? Have you added the liability umbrella coverage/rider. Not sure, but thinking that the umbrella policy will extend to a vacant piece of property up to 40 acres. That would mean - no buildings on the property. Check with your insurance agent about this. Haven't kept up on any changes in past 5 years, so things could have changed.

Pat DeJong

Do you have full-timers insurance? Have you added the liability umbrella coverage/rider. Not sure, but thinking that the umbrella policy will extend to a vacant piece of property up to 40 acres. That would mean - no buildings on the property. Check with your insurance agent about this. Haven't kept up on any changes in past 5 years, so things could have changed.

Thanks for your reply Pete.

I have full-timers ins coverage but the property liability portion is only enforce when we are parked on the site. It does not extend liability coverage to the RV site when we are gone. I was surprised to learn this when reading the fine print during our policy review/renewal. The umbrella policy we have requires $300K coverage by others before it kicks in. Hence my question.

We have had coverage through Good Sam, which for us is underwritten by National General Assurance Company. It covers our truck, trailer, and also covers the trailer as our home, just as a S/B would be covered. We have not needed to make any claims, but the coverage is complete. Both the truck and the trailer are on the same policy, and if both units are involved in a claim, there is only one deductible, instead of a deductible for both.

We have had coverage through Good Sam, which for us is underwritten by National General Assurance Company. It covers our truck, trailer, and also covers the trailer as our home, just as a S/B would be covered. We have not needed to make any claims, but the coverage is complete. Both the truck and the trailer are on the same policy, and if both units are involved in a claim, there is only one deductible, instead of a deductible for both.

The OP is seeking info on real property. A piece of land that is an RV site, not his rig itself.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Specifically ask about vacant property for the umbrella. The 300,000 underlying requirement is for property with buildings or a home on it and not vacant as your property would be when you are not there. When there, then your rig coverage will apply.

Pat DeJong

Since umbrella policies are "excess coverage" insurance, I highly doubt that an umbrella policy would pay anything on a claim against the unoccupied and uninsured RV pad/lot. You need to have insurance on that physical lot if you are concerned about that issue. I'd not think that it would be very expensive if there are no improvements on the lot.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Excess coverage yes, but some companies have an underlying rider that can be attached to the umbrella policy to provide the coverage needed - very inexpensive. Best thing to do it to have your agent tell you how their company, in the state you are located handles this.

Pat DeJong

We are insured by Blue Sky Insurance under a full-time policy. I asked specifically about coverage for our RV lot in Florida in case we allowed others to stay on it in our absense. After checking with underwriting, the agent told us that there is coverage during our absense for issues caused by our own negligence as long as the RV lot does not have a permanent residence on it (like a park model or cabin). Sounds like your policy does not offer this coverage. If that is an issue, I'd do a little homework with some of the other companies out there and change over to a policy that suits your needs. Good luck. I know it is a very time consuming process.

Dottie & Bob Repka

SKP #90581

Lifetime Members

2007 Teton Reliance XT-4

2006 Volvo 780, Ultrashift

2014 Smart Car on deck

Archived