Dual Sighting in Las Vegas

VegasFlyer

Nice! Makes me want to paint my truck.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VegasFlyer:

I believe that would have been myself, and my buddy/neighbor. There is actually three 780's in our group and soon to be 4.

Mine: D16, iShift

CjcEysR.jpg

Friend #1 D12, Eaton 10spd Auto

Z1PjQjX.jpg?1

Friend #2 Cummins iSX and 18spd Eaton Auto

1qknuDB.jpg?1

Sorry for the delay in getting back on here and glad that my gamble paid off! - no pun for Vegas - what are the odds..

I will send you a pm ATV, you guys have a bunch of nice trucks and it is nice to see you even let the fellas in the little trucks tag along....lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• 1 month later...

My dad just send me this picture of what I think is one of your groups rigs rolling through Hurricane, UT.

IMG_7278_zpsbttnljeo.jpg

Yup, that's my buddy Jim. Was this taken today? I think he was headed up near Zion this weekend. By the looks of the bed on the truck, I would assume it was taken today...

Thanks for the pic!

Yup, that's my buddy Jim. Was this taken today? I think he was headed up near Zion this weekend. By the looks of the bed on the truck, I would assume it was taken today...

Thanks for the pic!

Yes it was taken that day and Hurricane is outside of St George and one of the last towns before the turn off to Zion national park.

I'm in Texas and the last time he came to visit I was telling him about my plans (need? :) ) for an hdt. He sent the picture with the caption "this could be you". I wrote back that I knew that truck was one from a group of friends from Vegas that all had them. What a small world! Now I just need to get mine...

Friend #1 owns a welding shop here in town. He built his bed and I painted it. Him and I built my bed. We even built 30gal fuel tanks for the toys that fit under the bed between the frame rails

I dont have any of his, but mine is almost 3" wider, his has aluminum diamond plate, mine is steel with grey bed liner coating

qwgh4IMm.jpg

2vo8Rzqm.jpg

When I still have the factory 5th wheel plate

rJshco4m.jpg

ATV-Idiot

I really like your beds. I just bought my Volvo 780 back in July of 2016. I at this point have decided to leave it as a three axle. I have plans to use it as it is for about a year to see what I want and need as far as storage etc. I have been leaning towards more of a flat bed design like yours with a good size drome box behind the sleeper. I really like the simplicity of your beds and the fuel tank on the truck is a great idea. I also noticed that it looks like you are still using the commercial hitch or is that an RV Style hitch?

Anyway very sharp looking rigs I like the looks a lot.

Thanks

Norm

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

Yes it was taken that day and Hurricane is outside of St George and one of the last towns before the turn off to Zion national park.

I'm in Texas and the last time he came to visit I was telling him about my plans (need? :) ) for an hdt. He sent the picture with the caption "this could be you". I wrote back that I knew that truck was one from a group of friends from Vegas that all had them. What a small world! Now I just need to get mine...

I just talked to him last night and he remembers that jeep. small world indeed!

ATV-Idiot

I really like your beds. I just bought my Volvo 780 back in July of 2016. I at this point have decided to leave it as a three axle. I have plans to use it as it is for about a year to see what I want and need as far as storage etc. I have been leaning towards more of a flat bed design like yours with a good size drome box behind the sleeper. I really like the simplicity of your beds and the fuel tank on the truck is a great idea. I also noticed that it looks like you are still using the commercial hitch or is that an RV Style hitch?

Anyway very sharp looking rigs I like the looks a lot.

Thanks

Norm

Thanks Norm! Congrats on the truck too! I only ran that hitch for a year with the previous trailer and maybe 2 trips with the new trailer. I've since installed an RV hitch on the back. We go offroad a lot and I would NEVER give up my front axle/power divider. The fuel tank has been the best! So nice not having to worry about fuel cans.. and when were boondocking for a long weekend, having 55-60 gallons of fuel is nice :P

I too wanted some storage in the bed, but what do I really need to haul that bad? I've gotten by this long w/o needing more storage. So I guess it would all depend on what you need the space for.

Thanks again

W

Thanks Norm! Congrats on the truck too! I only ran that hitch for a year with the previous trailer and maybe 2 trips with the new trailer. I've since installed an RV hitch on the back. We go offroad a lot and I would NEVER give up my front axle/power divider. The fuel tank has been the best! So nice not having to worry about fuel cans.. and when were boondocking for a long weekend, having 55-60 gallons of fuel is nice :P

I too wanted some storage in the bed, but what do I really need to haul that bad? I've gotten by this long w/o needing more storage. So I guess it would all depend on what you need the space for.

Thanks again

W

W

Did you have any problems using the commercial hitch, and what RV hitch did you go too?

Norm

Norm & Rhonda

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

I didnt have any issues with the Commercial plate, but they beat the hell out of the trailer.. When we bought our new trailer, I wanted to minimize the abuse it would see with using an HDT.

I installed a Curt Q24 24,000# hitch

71jM6A4JJGL._SL1500_.jpg

I had the B&W under bed hitch with the B&W companion fifth wheel adaptor in my pick/ups. The trucks had the firestone 5000 lbs airbag helpers on it. Going through New Mexico and Arizona it road so rough that it broke one of my tail lights and it was swinging from the wires when I stopped for fuel. Now with the Class 8 and the commercial plate being that it has the air ride suspension it seams to ride much smoother. I did buy a MORryde Rubber pin box for the trailer before I ever towed in with the Class 8. I was a Auto-Transport driver for 30+ years and I can't get myself to justify the added expense of the RV style plates. $3000.00 for the Comfort Ride and $4300.00 for the ET Senior both having air bags or the new air cell technology. The high you use has no added suspension on it does it. What are your feelings on the matter.

I do greatly appreciate your opinion. The HDT Group I have been getting information from all tho they are the friendliest and most helpful group I have ever met, seem to be brain washes on some of there views. They are in direct contact with the manufactures of these hitches and most have had no experience with class 8 trucks before they got their trucks for using with their fifth-wheel.

Thanks Again

Norm

Norm & Rhonda

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

more and more are showing up across the county glad to see them

97 9200 cornbinder super 10 M11E cummins 1350 ftlbs
81 CJ7 jeep
2000 36ft nuwa king dome onan 6500LP gen/remote start
94 sport Nautique
2007 dyna wide glide 6 speed
N7UVW
2007 30ft work&play-LK-- toy hauler by forest river

2006 Alfa toyhouse 40 ft

2010 42kz Escalade toyhauler

I had the B&W under bed hitch with the B&W companion fifth wheel adaptor in my pick/ups. The trucks had the firestone 5000 lbs airbag helpers on it. Going through New Mexico and Arizona it road so rough that it broke one of my tail lights and it was swinging from the wires when I stopped for fuel. Now with the Class 8 and the commercial plate being that it has the air ride suspension it seams to ride much smoother. I did buy a MORryde Rubber pin box for the trailer before I ever towed in with the Class 8. I was a Auto-Transport driver for 30+ years and I can't get myself to justify the added expense of the RV style plates. $3000.00 for the Comfort Ride and $4300.00 for the ET Senior both having air bags or the new air cell technology. The high you use has no added suspension on it does it. What are your feelings on the matter.

I do greatly appreciate your opinion. The HDT Group I have been getting information from all tho they are the friendliest and most helpful group I have ever met, seem to be brain washes on some of there views. They are in direct contact with the manufactures of these hitches and most have had no experience with class 8 trucks before they got their trucks for using with their fifth-wheel.

Thanks Again

Norm

Norm:

I'm not going to disagree with the new technology behind some of those hitches. Myself, I cant justify spending that kind of $$ right now. I do agree that its important to get rid of the commercial plate for the reason stated already. That commercial plate ONLY pivots front to back. While RV hitches pivot side to side as well. Think of the strain you will put on your pin box as well as the front frame on your 5th. Our old trailer was pulled with a HDT before we bought it and the front frame section of the trailer had already been repaired once.. Majority of its life (2004 Tahoe Fury 40') it was towed with a HDT with a commercial plate on it. My new trailer was only brought home on the commercial plate before changing that out. My next investment is an air ride on the pin box to take some of the abuse off the trailer.

So, I am in agreement with you... if $$$ was no object, sure! Right now with 2 teenage boys, a full time job and not a lot of free time... I'll go my route.

I sure do appreciate all the responses. I do understand the concern for the front of the trailer and have seen a trailer in the RV shop being repaired for that same repair (Front end broken and sagging down) but it was a very low end trailer that was being pulled with a 3/4 ton pickup. I know the ride of my trailer is much smoother on the HDT then it ever was on my 3/4 or 1 ton truck. But the side to side articulation is something else. I try very hard not to get into a situation that twists the 2 units opposite directions. Now for the air bag hitches and what I have experienced they do seen to bounce around quit a bit. Even just backing into an RV site. The old saying "For every action there is a reaction". I was kind of leaning to the comfort ride. Is there any opinions that should change my mind back to the airbag styles? The ET Senior with the 4 airbags under it is really nice but the dog bone setup in mainly to abate the chucking of the horizontal motion into a vertical motion. I have no chucking with the HDT since adding the moreryde rubber pinbox. that brings us back to the side to side articulation. I am seeing that most everyone feels that that is a great issue. The hitch you are using ATV has the articulation but no airbags. And you say you are going to achieve that with an air ride pinbox so you are still concerned with that issue obviously. I sure don't want to spend money I don't need to and I surly don't want to spend it twice. I hope everyone understands that and not that I am just being argumentative. Thanks again for all the help and ideas.

Norm

PS I just noticed I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I can take this to a new one if I have done wrong...

Norm & Rhonda

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

Norm:

Quite welcome. And as much as you try not to put your truck and trailer into that position, the trailer still rocks back and forth running down the road, in and out of parking lots, and all roads aren't flat.. All of that articulation puts a lot of stress on the pin box and front frame section. And in my opinion you will never be able to get rid of it, but minimizing is better than nothing. I plan to run the Lippert Air ride pin box to help cushion the ride for the trailer.

I'm not taking anything you asked as argumentative.. Like me I am sure you dont want to spend more $ than you need to and prefer to do it once. There will always be something better, and I am only looking for something cost effective :)

Archived