Black tank handle half way

ChuckD

Jayco greyhawk 2005. Suddenly (that's the way things happen) my black tank handle will only come out about half way. Still dumps but I think it should came all the way out. No big reason for thinking that but it seems to be a good idea. Any advice?

TIA

You mean that it suddenly got to where the handle don't travel but half of the distance it used to? If I'm understanding you then it is time to replace that valve before it gets any worse.

Yes, I would be eager to fix that before it stops working altogether.

Chuck - think of pouring the water out of boiling potatoes with the lid 1/2 way on. Water runs out and the taters stay behind.

That^ could easily make for a bit of a mess .

I'd insure that the valve is completely open and the tank fully flushed before replacing the old valve with new .

That is what I was afraid, doing the replacement. That sounds like an exciting job. Any volunteers willing to come do, or even help?

Tonight the tank has been cleaned, as clean as it has been in 11 years. Water going through it came out clean and clear. Any volunteers yet?

I had one do the same thing. It finally broke. Had a new one installed. It too would appear to partially open and close. A real hassle. So this past February I replaced the manual valves with electric ones. They are working great. Of course now I worry about the same thing and on top of that there's the electricity to worry about! :)

This happened suddenly instead of slowly, right? Apply some liquid wrench-or similar product to the cable end several times daily. It could be sticking somewhere, it it doesn't work you're only out the cost of a can of liquid wrench.

If the valve blade is sticking, I've read of some guys drilling and tapping a hole in the blade shroud, screwing in a zerk fitting, and greasing the blade occasionally when it begins to stick or drag. Personally, if the valve is easy access I'd just use a repair kit to replace the valve and O-rings, leaving the body in place. Of course I'd also replace the cable at the same time, since it is already apart.

Replacement is not hard if it's accessible. You already have the tank clean, if you're concerned about germs, just pour a bucket of 10% bleach solution down the commode, wait a few minutes then open that sticky valve.

That is what I was afraid, doing the replacement. That sounds like an exciting job. Any volunteers willing to come do, or even help?

Tonight the tank has been cleaned, as clean as it has been in 11 years. Water going through it came out clean and clear. Any volunteers yet?

trust me, the minute you start working on holding tanks, people will walk on the other side of the street, wave as they sprint by, shout good luck, but never, ever come over to help! :o:D

Once things are cleaned out it really isn't as bad as it sounds. The valve will have four bolts, one in each corner. Once you remove those you need to separate the two sides and remove the blade & housing. The hardest part is keeping the "O" ring seals in place and for that I use silicone grease. The assembly should look like this...

41qOJt20XUL._AA160_.jpg

Thank for all the advice and volunteer help. Wait, no one volunteered. No problem, I removed the four bolts and it came right apart. As soon as I had it apart, it worked fine. All the way out and smooth. But I am thinking, it is ten years old, plus, apart and maybe just to be safe, go ahead and replace it. Agreed??? ;)

But I am thinking, it is ten years old, plus, apart and maybe just to be safe, go ahead and replace it. Agreed???

Agree... On the grease, I like Super Lube from Amazon, but there are many good choices. And I would also put some on the valve blade as well as the O rings on the edges of the housing. If you can get access to the valve body easily it is a good idea to spray the exposed shaft with silicone spray from time to time when you have the valve open. I also dump a bottle of mineral oil into the empty tanks immediately after dumping one or two times a year, working the valve rapidly several times open & closed with the oil but before you add water.

maybe just to be safe, go ahead and replace it. Agreed??? ;)

Wholeheartedly! They cost so little and can save you a world of a nasty job if it decides to fail on you again.. when you're tanks are full. Uneven bolt compression on any of the corners can also jam up the valve door. Be sure to tighten evenly and check the movement as you go.

Grease? Yessireebob! And don't be shy with it.

On my MH i had very sticky valves and before changing them out i tried some lubricant from Thetford. This stuff you pour into the black and gray water tanks after dumping and let sit till you need to dump again. It kept the valves working smooth for 5 years and only used 2 bottles.

find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Thetford-15843-Drain-Valve-Lubricant/dp/B000BGK2L0/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41yvqOiFCzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1GDBSE09H46JBY6JSB95

Ok guys, it has been done. Many times I see someone ask questions and you never know how he did or if he did, In my case I did, and Murphy only helped a little on tightening the back bolts. Not easy to get to. I used a lot of Vaseline and they held everything where it should be until it tied down. Works so much easier than before so I guess it was heading for bad for a while.

Once again thanks for all the advice and ideas and to those who offered to help. Wait, no one offered that. Guess you folks must be smart.

Wait, no one offered that. Guess you folks must be smart.

As Bill so eloquently put it.. no one likes to play with other peoples potato chute. ;)

That should keep you running (pun intended) for quite awhile now.

~ Cheers

. Once again thanks for all the advice and ideas and to those who offered to help. Wait, no one offered that. Guess you folks must be smart.

I had my tools at the ready and waited most of the day for you to bring the RV over.............. I thought that you decided you didn't want help! ;)

But just think what a sense of achievement that you have now which you would not have gotten if you had me to help you.... B)

Ok guys, it has been done. Many times I see someone ask questions and you never know how he did or if he did, In my case I did, and Murphy only helped a little on tightening the back bolts. Not easy to get to. I used a lot of Vaseline and they held everything where it should be until it tied down. Works so much easier than before so I guess it was heading for bad for a while.

Once again thanks for all the advice and ideas and to those who offered to help. Wait, no one offered that. Guess you folks must be smart.

Replacing it was a good idea.

In the future, you should chew your food more thoroughly. :D

Archived