RV Park Detroit area

Jim Corey

You're talking my neck of the woods. I'm not aware of any parks that I'd be willing to stay at in Detroit or adjacent to Detroit metro area proper. There are however numerous parks just outside the metropolitan area that are very nice - that would put you within an hour drive of downtown Detroit. Your note doesn't mention when you plan to be in this area - but your "as we amble toward...." comment makes me wonder if you're on the road now. If so - note that we're VERY early in our camping season up here - and that many parks won't open until May 1st and that those that are open now may not have all services open. Typically, there's centrally available water ... but often nothing at the campsite itself. Park dump stations are of course open ... and electricity at the sites are available as well.

We're located on the north side of the Detroit ... and here are three of our favorites:

Algonac State Park - located on the banks of the St. Clair River is a nice early season stop - there's a constant parade of Great Lakes freighter traffic visible from the campground.

Holly State Recreation Area - located north of Detroit right off of I75 - nice wooded camping area.

Addison Oaks County Park - located just north of Rochester (one of the northern suburbs).

Note that all three of these parks are "Electric" only sites - with a centralized dump station.

Here are a couple of links ... that you'll probably find helpful.

Oakland Country Park

Michigan DNR (State) Parks

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Just the info we'll need. We'll be in that area at the end of June. Wouldn't want to stay in the metro area, although cities don't frighten us. But so much of our country's growth and prosperity is tied to the Detroit area, we'd like to see it.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

The "end of June" thing will definitely have an impact. I'd look to get into Loop "C" at Addison Oaks ... or into Holly Recreation area. Sites in these two will almost certainly get you a nicely shaded spot. Other loops at Addison Oaks are newer - and relatively open.
You'll probably want to avoid Algonac State Park at that time. End of June is the peak of "fish fly" season ... and you don't want to be anywhere near the water then. Here's a link to a video clip

about "fish flies" that spoof the "Pure Michigan" advertising campaign. While it's a spoof - it's dead nutz on in terms of what the fish fly invasion is like. Residents and businesses that are within a .5 - 1 mile of the water are known to use snow shovels to clear away their carcasses. They're so think that their crushes carcasses actually can actually make intersections slippery! (They're drawn to the street lights ... ) A mile or two inland - and you won't see a one!

Good luck!

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Archived