Traveling north-south through Idaho

vrainsmd

We have 45' class A MH with towed that is about 13' high. We usually use a trucker's atlas to plan our routes. This summer we will be spending a month or more in Idaho. The Idaho map has gaps on US Highways 93 and 95. Is it safe and/or possible to travel north-south on both highways?

We have 45' class A MH with towed that is about 13' high. We usually use a trucker's atlas to plan our routes. This summer we will be spending a month or more in Idaho. The Idaho map has gaps on US Highways 93 and 95. Is it safe and/or possible to travel north-south on both highways?

You're good to go. Minimum 14' all the way.

It has been a long time since we last traveled US93, but it should be no problem and US95 is a favorite of ours. You will find it just a bit pulse raising traveling down Whitebird Hill, but it really isn't a difficult road, only looks awesome and the view is special.

Just glancing at a map and I am not seeing either of those routes. Where are they located?

US95 is along the western part of the state, southbound from Lewiston to I-84 at Ontario, OR. US93 leaves southbound out of Missoula, MT, through Salmon, ID and into Twin Falls.

We took US95 North to South and found it a beautiful drive but a bit challenging with the 2-3(at least) passes involved. Next time we will try it South to North and see if it is any less challenging.

If you don't have the books or the app for Mountain Directory by R&R I would suggest getting at least one of them. We have always used the books(for years) but this year found that there is an app. Well worth it, at least you know what you are getting into.

Hiway 93 in ID is one of my favorite drives. I've been up and down it several times in my MH, all the way from Misoula, Mt to its end at hiway 26. No real issues on this hiway, other than lots of summer tourist traffic. You have to go down or up, Lost Trail Pass right at the MT-ID border, but its nothing to worry about.

A side trip from Challis up 75 to Stanley ID is well worth the time.

This shot is from one of my boondocking spots right along the Salmon river. These deer came down out of the woods for a drink every morning & evening.

deer%2Bdrinking%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bsalmon.JPG

Archived