Using a different SS number to prevent Identity Theft

Vladimir

The second is to allow consumers to put a CREDIT FREEZE on their credit reports. Basically, this means that NO CREDIT information will be shared without your written permission to unfreeze the credit report. If somebody is looking to steal your identity and has your SS number and birthdate.....but cannot get credit in your name they have nothing.

You can already put a credit checking freeze on your credit reports accounts.

Then to top that off every 90 days you can put a FRAUD ALERT on all 3

It is easy to do both. I done the first one years ago. Then also had to do the second one in Feb..

With those in place and my 2 banks/4 CC/2 debit cards notifying me by text within a minute of any charge or withdraw/deposit is done.

I don't see a need to sign up for one of those $$ monthly sites that does the something. And having more out there with your info.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I have been putting on Fraud alerts.

Last time I told them I was a retired Federal employee and to leave the fraud alert in place. I was pretty sure that my "private" information that I shared with the Federal government was going to be stolen again and again and again.

Look at this link.

http://www.equifax.com/help/credit-freeze/en_cp

In Washington state, we had a huge debate years ago about putting a credit freeze in place. I thought it was voted down, but it looks like being over 65 I can put a credit freeze in place for free. Each state laws vary and in most states you do have to pay a fee.

I am thinking that I might be a credit freeze on my accounts and leave my wife's accounts just under a fraud alert. That way, she can still have relatively easy access to credit if she wants it.

Good thing I started this thread....I learned something new.....from my own posting!!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

The reason most businesses want your social security number is for a credit check. So when did the social security number be required for a credit check? There is no LAW requiring that you supply the number for a credit check!!

No, but without a credit check, you may not get what you want.

I've been an identity theft victim for several years now. Once or twice a year a bank will call me asking if I've applied for one of their credit cards. I didn't.

I imagine this will keep happening until I'm dead . . . and them some.

Anyway, some advice:

• Get a copy of your credit report once a year from the three credit agencies: Transunion, Equifax, and Experian. You're entitled to a FREE credit report once a year. Once you get a report check the personal info the agency has about you. If you see wrong addresses, get them corrected or deleted. See https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

• If you're a victim of identity theft (someone applies for a credit card in your name, someone files a false IRS claim in your name, etc), then immediately put a fraud alert on your credit reports. See Fraud Alerts

• If you're a continuous identity theft victim, put an Extended Alert on your credit reports like I did. This involves filing a police report (and in some cases educating the police about identity theft). See Fraud Alert link above.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

To my knowledge I've never been a victim of identity theft, but I have had my personal information compromised several times (at least according to the letters I got in the mail from the companies that had the problem.)

The first time it happened I placed a freeze with all three agencies. On the rare occasions I have to apply for credit, I find the agency they are going to run the report on and place a lift for a day or two, and once I hear that they have run what they need I cancel the temporary lift.

As a NC resident it is free (differs state by state).

It's a bit of a hassle, but for me it is worth it. As a small business owner, my ability to do business efficiently is dependent on my credit being good.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Maybe if the average citizen had some recourse against all the entities that FAIL to adequately protect our info, things would change a little. Too many companies are just plain sloppy about it, including the government, and then just say "oh well" when an identity is stolen, leaving the consumer to fight the battle to correct things. The whole mess is really frustrating.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

I followed this path for a bit.

Basically, it is the same as using a fake social security number. If there is not an intent to defraud the business is protected from your lawsuit. I could be wrong, but that is what I was told. So basically, they are protected UNLESS they stole your identity.

The Target break-in was interesting. The Chief Information Officer for Target was a "bedroom" friend of the CEO. I believe those were the primary qualifications for filling the position.

So you can see how much priority the CEO put on security of their customers data.

My sense is that we need more limits on "instant credit". We also need to require that, upon request, businesses must share ALL the customer information on file. That will help in reducing the amount of information stored by businesses. It costs them money to respond to data requests.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived