GlowStep Revolution Install

edatlanta

In late 2015 I was contacted by TorkLift International about their GlowStep Revolution replacement RV step assembly. I had been reading about this product on an RV Forum and asked a question or two about the product and then TorkLift contacted me. They were looking for some feedback from actual users since this is a new product. Their offer was to provide a GlowStep Revolution at no charge for a written evaluation after install. I provided the measurements and the GlowStep Revolution showed up. Part of the agreement was that I install promptly and provide the agreed to feedback.

Unfortunately I was unable to hold up my end of the agreement to "install promptly". I had several issues that came up such as a failed EPDM roof that was leaking and required immediate attention. Because I was not able to "install promptly" I offered to return the GlowStep Revolutiion to TorkLift. They refused and said they would work with me and they have to an amazing degree. This all ended with the install taking place on 4-10-16.

The OEM steps were removed (heavy) and the GlowStep Revolution frame was installed. After all dimensions were checked to verify which mounting holes to use in the provided brackets the frame was tightened up and the step assembly was installed (2 bolts).

The GlowStep Revolution is a fantastic product IMHO. The quality is excellent, no rocking of my rig as I walk up and down the steps since the weight is on the step landing gear feet. Another feature is the glow panels on the sides of each step. At night it is almost like looking at an airport runway at night You know exactly where to step wit no other lighting needed. I did go from the original 3 step to a 4 with the GlowStep Revolution which makes the extra bottom portable step unnecessary. The vertical distance from the door threshold is only 6.5". I don't know what the original was since I didn't measure it prior to removal, but it was a lot more than 6.5 inches. Old knees know the difference however. I don't have a scale, but I can't be sure of the exact weight difference, but the GlowStep Revolution is a lot lighter than the OEM steel step assembly. You definitely feel the difference when lifting each.

I can't say enough about TorkLift and the GlowStep Revolution. The product is superb and their support is second to none which is very refreshing in today's world and it is Made In The U.S.A.

Please let me know if any of you have any specific questions not answered in this post. I will gladly help any way I can. I do have pictures not posted here if there is something specific you want to see.

My recommendation is to get a GlowStep Revolution. You will never regret it.

I am in no way employed by or have any type of relationship with TorkLift other than being a very satisfied user of their GlowStep Revolution.

Addendum: 4-14-16

I just found out TorkLift has a promotion on right now called #RVStepFail where you can enter for a chance to win the GlowStep Revolution. Here's the link for those of you that are interested in showing your creative ways of entering your rig. Here is the link to the promo details: www.torklift.com/sites/rvstepfail/

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it some. I'm always looking for a better solution to RV steps. The ones available to the industry at the current time are not very good. We have put several sets on our various New Horizons as we assist with product development. I've not been satisfied with any of them. I'm interested in how stable these steps are - how much "give" is there to them on a 4-step system??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it some. I'm always looking for a better solution to RV steps. The ones available to the industry at the current time are not very good. We have put several sets on our various New Horizons as we assist with product development. I've not been satisfied with any of them. I'm interested in how stable these steps are - how much "give" is there to them on a 4-step system??

They "give" virtually none Jack. They are obviously attached to the RV on the top side and the landing feet are on the ground so there is zero diving board effect when going up or down. When in the middle they are rock solid as well and I weigh 250. I am very pleased with them. Much better than the 3 step OEM ones for sure.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch

Ed: Can you give me any idea of Price. My Kwik steps are not working and need a new "transmission" so I would be in the market. I also could do install as I am pretty handy and build streetrods as a hobby.

The price I have seen advertised is $549 for the 4 step like I have. So it isn't cheap, but well worth it. Of course I got mine as a demo. How they picked me is still amazing. When they first contacted me I thought it was a scam. I'm sure glad it was legitimate. As I said in my post they are super people to deal with and the quality is first rate.

Ed

KM4STL

My coach has only one step. From what I saw on the website they have nothing less than 2 steps. And from what I saw of the mounting I wonder if they work only on towables, or also on motorhomes?

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I do a lot of field trials for Torklift. I have been friends with the company owner for years and they know I lead RV caravans into Mexico a couple of times a year. This subjects their products to some rough roads and the 1000s of Topes (speed bumps) down there, not to mention salt air and humidity. All their products perform well. I have, for example seen several pickups damaged by happijac truck camper tiedowns. I took several trips with the TL versions back when I had a TC and they held up well. I have been testing stable loads, the super hitch and this year the glow steps. The only issue with the glow steps was stiffness after being exposed to salt air and humidity. WD40 fixed that. I currently have a new version of them waiting for me in transit that apparently addresses this, so I will be installing them and testing them next Fall in Mexico. They have also addressed the locking clip issue. (Yes I lost mine as well). Torklift has always been tops in customer service and as someone already mentioned, made in America. The fact you are not supporting the Chinese economy is reason enough to buy from them, but they are unsurpassed in quality, IMO.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

Paul, if they want another tester for their new stuff I'm willing....since I think steps is an area of the industry that is greatly lacking. I test plenty of other products for other suppliers. If things test well they tend to get incorporated into the products of some of the companies I work with. Since you are friends with the owner, feel free to let him know....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I just installed the improved version yesterday. They seem to be a bit easier to deploy, and the locking mechanism is now spring loaded and the clip is fastened on so less easy to lose. Th espirng is a goodmod, if you forget to use the clip, they ar eunlikeley to deploy in transit. I have not yet had tiem to really assess them bu tit also looks like there is a wider range of height adjustment for sitations where you are parked next to a raised pad. The real test will come next Fall when they get subjected to heat, humidity & salt air in Mexico. I will be dropping off the old set in Seattle for them to examine them after a year of use and abuse.

Here is how my dog handles them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl5PzjlFC18

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

• 2 months later...

Some new advice, don't step on the steps when stashed to pull yoruself in, like I do all the time when I forget something. The pin holding them in place (middle of nylon guide) can bend. It's an easy fix and i have made them aware of it. They need to put a warning sticker on there.

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

Archived