Severe Weather

Stiltner

Maybe try for one of the spotters rather than a trainer. Our former son-in-law was a member of SkyWarn and he would have been willing to do this but I don't know anyone in the area of the next Escapade.

I have sent a message to SkyWarn via their website and am still waiting for some response. I just sent another this morning.

In addition to all of the previous good information, I make it a practice to ALWAYS fill my tank up before I park and I normally keep a sharp eye on the National Weather Service NATIONAL Loop Radar. Sometimes its is hard to figure out exactly where you are, but with the NATIONAL LOOP Radar you can move it around enough, zoom in and out to figure where it is coming from and where it is going.

I keep both Weather Bug and a live radar app on my phone for that same reason. There are plenty of free ones and I like the portability of a phone app.

Also, I'm watching that same storm as you as the first wave passed through our area about 5:30 am. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I found this basic field guide on the Skywarn site :

http://skywarn.org/wp-content/uploads/basicspot.pdf

It would be a good read for any RVer .

As a certified spotter I can say that this document is the one that is used in training. The training just expands on it with some additional slides and photos plus you get to ask questions.

Edit: Every local NWS office offers Skywarn training this time of year. Where the schedule is posted varies from office to office but if you are going to be somewhere that you can attend the class I highly recommend it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I think it is always better to be safe than sorry. In high wind or severe rain it is never a bad idea to wait it out, and in the case of a hurricane, tornado, or the like, LEAVE your vehicle and find a shelter. Your life is worth more! I always use a weather alert so I haven't run into anything that extreme, but I its always good to have an emergency plan!

Archived