WDH setup and too much truck?

Thought I would share this...and I will be amazed if anyone reads it all!

So as I am traveling into Colorado from New Mexico, there is a weigh station. Sign says the usual commercial vehicles must enter etc, but this one also indicated something to the effect of "trucks with towed..." Not sure if that means me, I decide to play it safe and drive across the scales. First time I have ever gone through a weigh station as I never fit the criteria before. And I am still not sure I needed to, but no big deal.

Flashback... Hooked up the new 28', 7700 lb (loaded) trailer to my truck, an F350. Tongue weight of trailer is 825. Sticker on hitch says max hitch weight is 850 without WDH. The nice thing is was that it settled down to level and towed nicely without a WDH. But, in order to not be overweight at the hitch and to get some sway control, I installed an Equalizer hitch. Set it up according to the instructions, and have tweaked it several times to try and get the right measurements, but I cannot get the measurements to change without using some really extreme settings.

To look at the big picture, the trailer looks perfectly level and so does the truck. The hitch is doing something, but not changing the numbers.

Heres the thing. Even though it tows nice and looks perfectly set up, when I went through the scales, I learned the front axle was overloaded by about 700 lbs. and the rear axle is underloaded, even with cargo, tongue weight, and a fiberglass topper.

Pretty sure driving around that way, even though it feels solid, is not a good thing. And I guess maybe I really do have too much truck for a travel trailer and the truck just doesn't want to cooperate with the adjustments.

Lesson learned here? Many on this forum have mentioned being sure to get axle weights in addition to total weights. In this case, no doubt, since I will never be able to know that the load is correctly distributed otherwise.

So the tweaking resumes...and back to a weigh station if possible.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

My philosophy on weigh stations is to ignore them. If they want me they can find me.

We pulled into one years ago as we wanted to know how much we weighed. Never again, dirty looks from the truckers and the weigh master was not happy with us and made it known.

Find a scale at many moving/storage places. Middle of the day & a box of donuts will get you a few hours of checking weights as long as not "certified". Many moving places have a display can be seen from truck, is on all night long.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

...Hooked up the new 28', 7700 lb (loaded) trailer to my truck, an F350. Tongue weight of trailer is 825...I installed an Equalizer hitch. Set it up according to the instructions, and have tweaked it several times to try and get the right measurements, but I cannot get the measurements to change without using some really extreme settings...I learned the front axle was overloaded by about 700 lbs. and the rear axle is underloaded, even with cargo, tongue weight, and a fiberglass topper...

What does the front axle weigh with the truck loaded ready for travel without the trailer connected? Do you have a lot of weight at the front of the truck bed near the cab? Can you shift some of the weight in the truck bed to over or behind the rear axle? What is the rating of the Spring Bars on the hitch, 1000#, 1200#, 1400#? The up force of the Spring Bars shifts weight to both the front axle of the truck and the trailer axles so even with 1400# spring bars, I don't think they would be putting 700# on the front axle. The Hensly and Propride hitches provide excellent sway prevention/control and have easily adjustable weight distribution from near zero to the maximum rating of the Spring Bars.

What does the front axle weigh with the truck loaded ready for travel without the trailer connected? Do you have a lot of weight at the front of the truck bed near the cab? Can you shift some of the weight in the truck bed to over or behind the rear axle? What is the rating of the Spring Bars on the hitch, 1000#, 1200#, 1400#? The up force of the Spring Bars shifts weight to both the front axle of the truck and the trailer axles so even with 1400# spring bars, I don't think they would be putting 700# on the front axle. The Hensly and Propride hitches provide excellent sway prevention/control and have easily adjustable weight distribution from near zero to the maximum rating of the Spring Bars.

I agree with this. The spring bars dont need to be very tight if all you want is sway control. That might reduce the amount of weight distribution to the front axle. I would be weighing the truck totally empty and then as stated above.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived