Banking

WaywardWaylander

We keep some cash for emergencies. If the ATM network goes down you lose access to ALL your cash. We keep enough to fuel ourselves to anywhere in the country with cash, and to live on for 2-4 weeks. You can accumulate this over time.

Many of the banks/financial houses now allow you to do a photo deposit of checks you receive. This saves mailing them in and is quite convenient. What many people may not realize is that there is often a dollar limit on those deposits. Typically it is $10,000. I believe this is Fed limitation on photo deposits. But I'm not sure of that....

We have not been to a physical bank, to do banking, for all of our 16 years fulltiming. It is simply not necessary. Even before that we had stopped using banks.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The only problem I had with Wells Fargo was in the early 1970's before interstate banking. I had those real cool checks with a picture of stagecoach and horses pulling it.

I needed to cash a check in Spokane. The teller just looked at the check and said..."nice try kid, but I am NOT giving you cash for THAT check". Seems that teller thought Wells Fargo went out of business just after the GOLD RUSH!! I asked to talk to her supervisor.

Fortunately, her supervisor did recognize that Wells Fargo was a real bank in California. All she wanted to know was my employer.....once I said Forest Service, she ok'd my check. Wow, all those years and my creds are based on a government agency!!

All that said...I was fine with Wells Fargo. But I LOVE my credit unions. All three of them.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

We have 2 accounts at Wells Fargo. Main account has direct deposits going in. All automatic payments come out of this account. We each have 2 separate debit cards for this account. The second account is the spending account. I after disability check and ss check is received I transfer the a ou t not needed for the auto payments into this account. We each have a debit card for account 2. This is the card we use for all purchases. If these cards are compromised, I do not have to modify my direct deposit or auto payments. We just transfer the money out of account 2 back to the main account and grab the debut card for that account. Let the bank deal with the compromise situation.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We use WellsFargo for our travel account and have another 2 banks for everything else. This works well for us.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

We have been on the road for over 3 years and still use the bank we had while in our S&B. I think they only have 3 locations but that does not matter to us. We do all of our banking online and they offer ATM fee refunds. We hardly went inside a bank while living in a house and certainly don't see a need now.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

I just want to put in a good word for Ally. I have been with them since they started as a bank. The only bank were I have had no problems. I also have Bank of America. It is tricky, but I manage no fees by compromising my practices with BoA. Ally is a fine bank. Nothing bad to say about them except now they limit my atm-fee refunds to $10 per statement.

Archived