motorcycle carrier on back of 5th wheel

DNA0721

Many 5th wheels do not have sufficient frame structure to support a motorcycle lift. There are some that do, but they are typically the high end custom ones. I know New Horizons offers a motorcycle lift as an option from the factory. I would not even consider putting one on my Big Sky.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It will remove a lot of weight from your pinbox. If it gets too light it will start swaying back and forth. Imagine your fifth wheel swaying with a motorcycle hanging on the back and swaying farther out each time.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

If I was carrying it fulltime, get a toy hauler. Or you could go with a HDTV and have a ramp set up on the back platform. But I agree that not all 5vers can carry one. I have a DRV and would not but one on mine. The amount of bounce and stress that it can cause is not worth the chance. As anything at the end is getting bounced around ALOT more.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Thank you for your input and experience. I found a motorcycle platform that attaches to the back of the 5th wheel using duel receiver hitches and has duel swivelwheels that support the weight. Would this reduce the amount if weight taken off the pinbox to keep the 5th wheel stable? Below is a link to the swivelwheel system.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel58.html

Looking forward to your feedback.

Duane

That unit may put you over length, and will definitely add to your "tail swing".

We prefer to go the toy hauler route. That way we can carry more motorcycles, for more fun, plus it gives us lots of added storage.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I use the single wheel version of the Mastercraft swivel wheel trailer. This trailer is 8' long and allows me to load a Goldwing 1800 from the back so it is riding down the road pointed forward. I feel this is a better setup than loaded sideways as in this case the bike will rock sideways vs front to back like the bike suspension was designed to work. I guestimate the weight carried by the 2 supports welded to the camper frame carry 750# and the single wheel carries the other 750#. For a 15,000 camper at 61' ft total, I have had no issues with tow handling behind my Chevy 3500 dually. My advice if you decide to go with a swivel type trailer is to get a tire pressure monitor system for the trailer and carry 2 spares as the load D range 8" tire can be hard to find. With the GL1800 at 950#, I averaged 2500 miles on a tire, with my current VTX1300 at 500#, I get 4000 miles per tire. But is all worth it to be able to ride the bike when we park and the wife doesn't complain about motor smells or lost space in HER house. Some people are concerned about legal issues for a double tow, but not a issue in 4 years of full timing nor is it with other RV's we have met using the same setup.

Greg

Anyone using a motorcycle lift/carrier on the back of a 5th wheel? If so, good and points? What's the company of the lift/carrier you use?

Thanks

Duane

Yes. It's a Hydra Lift on my Mobile Suites.

Good points are it's easy to load and unload. It's not an additional trailer so completely legal as long as you are not over length. The rear trailer camera keeps us aware of it.

Bad points were it cost extra for suspension and frame modifications.

2015-05-30%2010.28.501_zpshfukivb9.jpg

2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 w/ Hydra Lift motorcycle lift, MorRyde IS suspension, MorRyde hitch pin

2013 Ford F450 w/ Trailer Saver air hitch

2011 BMW R1200RT motorcycle

The two primary concerns are:

1. Is the frame strong enough to support the additional weight as well as the stresses when traveling.

2. A heavy bike and rack will take the pin weight from the trailer and truck. This can very easily cause poor handling and chucking with the truck.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine had a motorcycle on the back of his fiver just like what you are showing. His trailer developed cracks up by the roof on each side of the trailer. Too much flex in the frame.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

A friend of mine had a motorcycle on the back of his fiver just like what you are showing. His trailer developed cracks up by the roof on each side of the trailer. Too much flex in the frame.

If all your friend did was attach the lift and load the bike and expected it to hold up he was wrong from the start.

Only a few mfgs. make a frame heavy enough for a lift. The custom makers can do it. My DRV was ordered with a much heavier frame than normal. Fifteen inches of rectangular tubing with 1/4" sidewalls on all the tubing. They wouldn't add the third axle though so I had it done after delivery. The third axle shortens the cantilever effect and carries the extra weight of lift and bike and heavier frame.

2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 w/ Hydra Lift motorcycle lift, MorRyde IS suspension, MorRyde hitch pin

2013 Ford F450 w/ Trailer Saver air hitch

2011 BMW R1200RT motorcycle

I use the single wheel version of the Mastercraft swivel wheel trailer. This trailer is 8' long and allows me to load a Goldwing 1800 from the back so it is riding down the road pointed forward. I feel this is a better setup than loaded sideways as in this case the bike will rock sideways vs front to back like the bike suspension was designed to work. I guestimate the weight carried by the 2 supports welded to the camper frame carry 750# and the single wheel carries the other 750#. For a 15,000 camper at 61' ft total, I have had no issues with tow handling behind my Chevy 3500 dually. My advice if you decide to go with a swivel type trailer is to get a tire pressure monitor system for the trailer and carry 2 spares as the load D range 8" tire can be hard to find. With the GL1800 at 950#, I averaged 2500 miles on a tire, with my current VTX1300 at 500#, I get 4000 miles per tire. But is all worth it to be able to ride the bike when we park and the wife doesn't complain about motor smells or lost space in HER house. Some people are concerned about legal issues for a double tow, but not a issue in 4 years of full timing nor is it with other RV's we have met using the same setup.

Greg

Greg, you have pretty much the set up I'm looking for. Did you have the frame re-inforced when you had the duel receiver hitch installed? I want to get the duel swivelwheel version in hope of getting a little longer life out of the tires and better support of the load. Did you tell the people that welded your hitch what weight that you were dealing with and they supported the frame accordingly? You're the first person I've found that has actual experience and time with this set up. When you get to camp destinations do you keep the trailer connected or do you disconnect it? If I may ask, what was the ballpark you paid for the hitch installation?

Duane

Archived