Meet the new ransomware that knows where you live

RV_

Hoo boy,

If you are not real savvy about what phishing (Social engineering) methods are for getting you to infect yourself, better read this article in full and do click on my links as they are all tested by me before I'll post them here, and are free of malware.

Now they are using companies we do business with and are getting our actual addresses etc. then telling you to open the attachment letter which looks like a Word doc but actually infects you. There is a pic of one in the article.

Worse, they are using actual companies you do business with. And the poor companies being used are not sending them, criminals are! As a result hundreds of legitimate companies so far are being blamed by their own customers for sending these erroneous emails.

Excerpt:

"The carefully-crafted and user-specific emails contain links and personal information to trick victims into installing a new kind of malware.

There's a new malware attack in town, and it's designed to hit a little too close to home.

A new phishing campaign is sending thousands of ominous-looking emails that contain the recipient's home address.

The well-worded email appears to come from a legitimate email address and domain name, and raises very few irregularities. The email comes with an demand for money for an arbitrary service, along with a link that purports to be an "overdue invoice."

Click that link and open the file (which looks like a Word document), and you'll become the latest victim of ransomware -- that is, malware that encrypts your files and locks you out of your computer until you pay a ransom.

The longer you wait, the larger the ransom you have to pay.

We received an email on Wednesday, which included my home address from some eight years earlier. Besides a tweet noting the phishing effort, we didn't think much more of it.

But then the BBC News also reported that some of their staffers had also received similar looking emails.

We contacted the company named in our email which demanded money that was purportedly owed.

"We're just as much victims as those who got the emails," said a person at the company who we spoke with on the phone.

The Ludlow, UK-based company said that they began receiving phone calls and emails earlier this week, but stressed that the phishing emails were not from the company."

The full email with screen shots is a must-read folks, find it here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-phishing-attack-knows-your-address-and-brings-ransomware/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived