Need help with barrel key for a 2002 Cruisemaster

jtown

Does anyone know if the Georgie Boy Cruisemasters share a common key for the engine cowling's barrel locks?

I've never had the key. My RV was a repo so I didn't get every item one would normally get. The barrel key was one of them but it didn't matter because they were unlocked and the cowl stays shut when closed. But I took it in for inspection and an oil change a few months back and they apparently locked it after changing the oil. I didn't realize until I went to take out the engine battery to charge it and "bonk bonk" the locks are locked. The shop refuses to admit they locked it and their best offer is to drill the locks out so I can buy new ones and put them in. They actually suggested that the locks (both of them) vibrated into the locked position during the 5.5 mile drive from the shop to the secure storage yard. Right. The alternative is that the storage yard owner has a collection of barrel keys, noticed that my engine compartment wasn't secure, and locked it for me. Or there's a rogue reverse vandal sneaking into secure lots to do the same. :)

So before I make an appointment and schlep the beast down to the shop or call a locksmith, I figured I'd see if I can get a key for the existing locks. I suppose an easy way to remove the existing locks would also work. I might be able to reach the back of the locks from below.

I believe that they all use the same key, but don't know for sure. If the people who serviced it were able to lock it, that means that they have a key that works and that does sound like on key fits all. Ask them where they got theirs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As I said, they deny locking it and therefore can't possibly unlock it because they didn't lock it in the first place and would never have locked it if it came in unlocked even if they did have the key which they don't... :)

The first key I would try is the CH 751, fits a multitude of locks on RVs. If you don't have one ask another RVer to try his CH 751.

Thanks but it's a round key like this:

p_110922_06154.jpg

It occurred to me last night that I can probably detach the arm assembly from the chassis then slide it up and out. I should be able to reach that hardware from underneath. Then I can remove/replace the locks. I'm going to swing by this weekend with some tools and an inspection camera and see what I can accomplish.

Reached up with a long wrench and loosened the nuts on the back of the locks and turned the whole assembly 90 degrees. So now it's unlocked. :) Took one of the locks to Camping World and, after much research a parts counter guy determined that the key is probably the Southco E3-5-15. Picture looks right for the lock and Amazon can get one to me by Sunday for $6.99. Happy day!

In other news, if anyone wants to break into the engine compartment of an old Georgie Boy, it's really easy and, if a wrench is too hard, Amazon will sell you a key for $6.99.

I really don't think that security is a factor on most RV engine compartments or any other in the RV industry. Nearly all of them use one of just a handful of keys and every RV shop has a complete set to open any RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Obviously, I'm not really worried about security since I've had the RV 4 years and this is the first time the engine compartment's been locked. It wasn't worth the hassle of finding a key until I got locked out. :) It just seemed a little lax when it took me less than 5 minutes to break in while causing no damage. Good deep cycle batteries aren't cheap and they're sitting right there.

Aaaaand I forgot to pull the battery which was the whole reason I was trying to get in there yesterday. :rolleyes:

Archived